1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just joined a political party

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Cromulent, Apr 16, 2019.

1. McstylisT

Wise Guy

My boy you are totally and utterly blind. It’s clear for everyone to see Corbyn is full on Marxist on freaking stilts. That’s why he will be the worst labour leader of all time. Never winning anything because his own party don’t particularly like him.

2. McstylisT

Wise Guy

Yes me too Humbug. Mainstream politics are finished in the evolution of this country.

3. McstylisT

Wise Guy

It’s probably because you spew things like this all over the place and people really don’t think or believe the things you keep saying any more. I haven’t heard one racist trope or anything like that. But keep bleeting.

4. Boycey0211

Soldato

With the upcoming local elections and this thread I decided to have a look at that change UK group that's in the news everyday, while I'm a remainer I don't think they would be able to deliver a second referendum necessarily but wanted to see what else they had to offer.

I can find almost zero information about them, even finding their website was fairly difficult as if you google 'change UK' all you get is all the news articles about them. Eventually found their website and there's no manifesto, no list of representatives, nothing. Just a sign up for more information/volunteer or donate.

I had a quick look to see if there's a twitter account even though I don't use it, and of course there is, with about 10 posts per day that I can't read in any detail because I don't have a twitter account. Looks like they hired the mother of all social media managers that doesn't realise the rest of the internet is still a thing.

I'm only 32, not a 90 year old stuck in his ways, I should have been able to find it quickly.

So anyway, I tried to find out who was representing my area in the upcoming elections as I wanted to know who the candidates were. That led me down the garden path and would only show me current representatives in my area.

One of them (out of five) is a bloody climate change denier.

Given up bothering to look for a new interest in politics now, whats the point? When I try to look for stuff I cant find anything and its almost irrelevant when an actual idiot is in a solid seat.

5. Tony Edwards

Mobster

When they first came out I couldnt be bothered to look that hard to be honest but a link on anther story lead me to this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-confidence-support-heidi-allen-a8792841.html
    Now dont get me wrong a month in politics is a long time, but I thought they were all out for a second referendum with no compromise but they seem to be saying they would back May for a softer brexit even going as far as confidence and supply voting.

I think with political parties you just have to find one you can stomach the most without accepting policies that you really oppose.

6. dowie

Caporegime

I assume they have goods odds of losing their seats if there were a general election very soon given they're not well established etc... so having an excuse for supporting May etc.. seems like it is certainly in their interest.

Does seem very odd if they're in favour of a second referendum though.

7. Stretch

Capodecina

May isn't going to agree to soften her Brexit, but she isn't going to leave with out a deal either. This is about keeping May on life support to buy time.

8. singularity

Perma Banned

Tbf, you didn't join a particularly noteworthy party, apart from the fact it is terminal decline.

9. JeditOjanen

Mobster

There's nothing for them to say. They don't have any policies listed because they don't have any policies. All they want to do is try and stop a left wing Prime Minister getting in so they can continue to claim that their sensible centrism will fix all the problems.

If you only got a climate change denier as a CUK candidate, though, you got lucky. So far Ali Sadjady has stood down after it came out he'd said he'd support Brexit if it got rid of all the Romanian pickpockets on the Underground and Joseph Russo did likewise because of a tweet he'd made saying he was scared of black women ever since a "black whore" chased him through Amsterdam; London candidate Nora Mulready is a full-on bigot who said Muslims want to enslave, rape and murder women; noted Twitter idiot Frances Weetman has repeatedly doubled down on Jews being a race "more like Arabs than Europeans"; and Nicholas Mazzei is on record as saying that Chuka Umunna quit Labour not on political grounds but because he's an attention seeker. Which last is true, of course, but it doesn't say much about Mazzei that he would then join Chuka's party of attention seekers.

10. Cromulent

Mobster

If everyone thought that then it would be in terminal decline. The only way to prevent that is to get involved :).

11. ltron

Wise Guy

Exactly, I am a member too and joined immediately after the referendum result. Given we are being let down terribly by the main parties, on Brexit among many other issues, it's high time for a Lib Dem resurgence.

12. chroniclard

Capodecina

Do these parties need people that restrict their political activism to random posts on online forums? I wouldn't want to actually do anything......

Change UK looks as much use as The Brexit Party, just a bit less racist.

13. ltron

Wise Guy

You don't have to do anything except possibly pay a small membership fee every year, in my case it's £11. This applies to the Lib Dems, other parties are often less democratic: in return you can vote for the leader (Vince Cable is leader now because he ran unopposed, this was an exception because they needed a steady pair of hands after electoral failure so they could regroup; next time we will get a vote), vote for the candidates to be put forward for the local council and if you don't live in England you can vote for the next potential Lib Dem member for your regional parliament/assembly and possibly for your next potential Lib Dem MP(haven't done this yet so not sure if this is the case) as well as who will be on the NEC and other internal party machinery (usually applicable to your local area). They will ask for your input when it comes to future policy as well.

There are often local Lib Dem get togethers if you're interested too and people that I've met have been very friendly. However, I just tend to vote in everything (you often have the choice to vote online) and not do much more but to me it's definitely worth it as I like being able to shape the party's future and like to hear what their strategy and plans are before the general public/media. They will ask for donations regularly too but you don't have to give if you aren't able/don't want to.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  14. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Further news on the woes of CUK: Nora Mulready has now been nationally outed as an Islamophobe, and Jacek Rostowski is being looked at for his anti-homosexual and anti-abortion views after it came out that someone - possibly Rostowski himself - has edited his Wiki page to reverse his position on the subjects. That's now three of their eight London candidates in the mire.

It should further be noted that CUK have admitted that the vetting on the MEP candidate applications was done by the MPs themselves.

E: plus we've now added Frances Weetman making derogatory remarks about the mentally handicapped and calling for solidarity with Islamophobes; Liz Sewell saying transwomen are men pretending to be women so they can commit rape; Michael Taylor sharing homophobic anecdotes; Nicholas Mazzei again, this time talking about all the benefit claimants who blow their dole on alcohol because they know they can get food from the food bank; and MP Mike Gapes abusing Muslim women on Twitter and blocking anyone who calls him out on it. And this is in one day. At this rate CUK aren't going to have anyone left to stand in May.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  15. Tony Edwards

Mobster

You have to wonder with all the fanfare at their launch/defections how many **** ups they will make before they split and blame the party for being full of incompetents.

They are certainly not making a good impression of themself.

16. JeditOjanen

Mobster

CUK are currently claiming that Nora Mulready is the victim of a smear campaign - said smears taking the form of, erm, linking to her tweets - and CUK MP Joan Ryan has doubled down by complimenting Mulready on her bravery for saying the Musulmen were coming to rape and murder her. It's no wonder that a poll on Twitter shows that 45% of people now think CUK are more racist than the Brexit Party.

17. Double07

Wise Guy

Yeah those dishonesty liars are the worst!

18. nkata

Soldato

I will vote for them in the Euros, assuming we get that far which on current (lack of) progress, we will.

19. BowdonUK

Mobster

I used to be a member of a political party, and activist for 10 years.

The one thing that puzzled me is how people join parties then do nothing. My branch had 200+ members, yet only 7 people were regular activisits.

We made good progress. But the party imploded. So people went their separate ways.

These days I think its better to not be a member of a party if you're trying to convince people of something.

20. Teh_Next

Perma Banned

It at least indicates peoples political persuasions and generates some income.