Just picked up the new Asus 27 IPS Monitor

Associate
I got my replacement and so far its looking really good. Its pretty dark in my room and i see almost no blb. Only a very little bit on the top but its really hard to see on a pitch black screen and high brightness. I'll have to wait for evening to get my room totally dark. I think i finally got myself a good screen after the 5th attempt. These screens i owned the last two months

2 x Iiyama G2773HS
1 x LG IPS277L-BN
2 x PB278Q

^^

Associate
not really

Asus = 858:1 contrast ratio after calibration at 120 cd/m2, Dell = 869:1

Pixel response times pretty similar between the two as mentioned in the review although the Asus has a little more overshoot in practice.

Input lag slightly less on the Asus at 16.6ms, but i wouldnt call it a drastic difference between that and the Dell at 22.2ms

Hi Badass,

Would you go for the Dell 2713 over this monitor? As I have narrowed my choice down to these two monitors but am having trouble deciding between the two.

Associate
Hi Badass,

Would you go for the Dell 2713 over this monitor? As I have narrowed my choice down to these two monitors but am having trouble deciding between the two.
I asked him the same question when he posted the review. ;)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22989645&postcount=161

I think I'm going to go for the Dell for the reasons he listed. While none of them are big deals I may as well get the best of the two. The QC seems to have improved for more recent batches of U2713HM's and the Asus doesn't seem to be doing any better on the BLB front so both of them have the potential to need returning.

Associate
Ya i guess its just a matter of luck. Just choose the screen you prefer and keep returning them till you get a good one. Im very happy i got a good one this time. Everytime i see a pitch black screen i get a smile on my face :)

Recently i tried overclocking the refreshrate of my old 19 inch monitor from stock 60hz to 75hz with succes but the pb278q unfortunately wont improve when bumping up the refreshrate.

Is there anyway i could apply the ICC profile from TFT reviews to my monitor? I never done anything like that so i could use some help.

Man of Honour
Yeah using our recommended OSD settings and calibrated ICC profile is very easy. Have a look at the iCC profile database page on the site which has instructions :)

Associate
looking at his review:

Monitor OSD Option

Default Settings

Brightness

Contrast

Splendid Preset mode

User

Gamma

Color Temp

RGB (Gain)

46, 50, 43

my emphasis

Associate
monitorsgrrrr

Does your monitor have unbalanced color? Mine is warm on the left and cold in the right. Pretty easy to see on a white screen.

Also this monitor makes a little electrical noise/whine. It must the PWM backlight because at 100 brightness the noise dissapear. You can hear it when you are in the front of the screen and on the top through the ventilation grille.

EDIT:

I just discovered the culprit of the noise. It's the stupid integrated speaker. Set the volume to 0 (mute does not work!) and noise is gone. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Nope i dont have that problem. I just thought that blue seem to be a little bit to strong but i have downloaded some high quality nature pictures and colours just look amazing. I guess im just used to the colours of my old 19 inch. If your uniformity is so bad then why not just send it back.

After two days enjoying my screen yesterday evening i decided to test all inputs/cables with my new monitor. Just becouse my first one had problems with DVI. Now DVI and HDMI work but displayport doesnt work.... Ive checked if the cable was connected properly into the input and output several times but couldnt find anything wrong. My AMD card only has minidisplay so i had to use a DP to miniDP. I got a other pc with a DP connection so i could test it without the miniDP converter but i just dont get any picture. Anyway im done sending screens back and ill just accept it. This screen has amazing blacks and very little blb so i definately dont wanna risk getting a bad screen. And i only need DVI and HDMI anyway.

edit hmmz i decided to give it one more go and the DP cable behind the monitor wasnt inserted deep enough. I had to use some brute force to get it all the way in. Im such an idiot *facepalm*

Last edited:
Associate
monitorsgrrrr

Does your monitor have unbalanced color? Mine is warm on the left and cold in the right. Pretty easy to see on a white screen.

Also this monitor makes a little electrical noise/whine. It must the PWM backlight because at 100 brightness the noise dissapear. You can hear it when you are in the front of the screen and on the top through the ventilation grille.

EDIT:

I just discovered the culprit of the noise. It's the stupid integrated speaker. Set the volume to 0 (mute does not work!) and noise is gone. :)

are YOU sure your not in splendid demo mode?

splendid demo mode is warm on the right (standard mode) cold on the left (splendid mode)

Associate
Hi all, been following this thread for last few days, has anyone experienced flickering from the PWM dimming? Is it annoying/does it bother you?

I don't believe I am sensitive to this issue but many on other forums are.

Cheers in advance

Back
Top Bottom