• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just received my Ryzen 5950x and B550-E and I get code 00 - just great

Associate
Just received my Ryzen 5950x and B550-E combo and I get code 00. When psu power is on the motherboard lights up but when I press power on the case it goes straight to code 00.

I have tested this everything installed and I have also tested this bare with only cpu and PSU but still get the same code.

I have also tested with a different power supply but still code 00.

I also tried updating the BIOS using the BIOS FlashBack to latest build "SB550EG". Was able to update the BIOS I believe. Motherboard show 00 while doing BIOS flashback.

I have also tried taking BIOS battery out and waiting a few mins... for what that was worth.

Had a look at the CPU pins and they all look perfect, no bent pins. The socket also appeared to be clean.

Anybody else having this issue?

Associate
Hi
Sorry if I missed it but I don’t see you mentioning any fault finding on fans.
Try unplug / replug / checking your cooler fan pins, plugged into correct header etc?

Associate
OP
Hi
Sorry if I missed it but I don’t see you mentioning any fault finding on fans.
Try unplug / replug / checking your cooler fan pins, plugged into correct header etc?
Yeah thats right forgot to mention about the fans. The fan pins look fine, fan was attached to CPU_FAN header on motherboard. When I power up the fans CPU fans spin for a split second and then stop when the code 00 comes up.

I wasn't sure originally whether to post on the motherboard or CPU section but decided on general - thanks for the suggestion on that, all post on the motherboard section.

Soldato
My suggestion is to flash the board to the earliest firmware/BIOS revision they supports the Zen3 5xxx CPU's. I've had so much trouble with Asus boards and the new CPU's it was starting to become a joke.

Make sure you've taken the CPU and RAM it then do the flash, should take a few minutes then put all the parts back together, checking the CPU for bent pins as you do it. Don't bother messing around with new thermal paste until you are sure it is working.

Edit: if you have a DVM check the voltage going to the 8-pin CPU power and the 12v line on the 24 PIN as well.

Associate
OP
My suggestion is to flash the board to the earliest firmware/BIOS revision they supports the Zen3 5xxx CPU's. I've had so much trouble with Asus boards and the new CPU's it was starting to become a joke.

Make sure you've taken the CPU and RAM it then do the flash, should take a few minutes then put all the parts back together, checking the CPU for bent pins as you do it. Don't bother messing around with new thermal paste until you are sure it is working.
Ok, that gives me a few things to try that I haven't already. When I flashed the BIOS the CPU was installed at the time... also I have only tried flashing to the the lastest version (which is in beta).

Look on the asus website, wondering if "ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING BIOS 0603 Update AMD AM4 AGESA PI 1.0.0.1" is the earliest firmware/BIOS revision they supports the Zen3 5xxx CPU's. I'll give this a go without the CPU and earlier bios..

Soldato
Ok, that gives me a few things to try that I haven't already. When I flashed the BIOS the CPU was installed at the time... also I have only tried flashing to the the lastest version (which is in beta).

Look on the asus website, wondering if "ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING BIOS 0603 Update AMD AM4 AGESA PI 1.0.0.1" is the earliest firmware/BIOS revision they supports the Zen3 5xxx CPU's. I'll give this a go without the CPU and earlier bios..
You want 1004 or 1401 if you get that one working. They seemed most stable on the systems I was testing with.

Associate
OP
You want 1004 or 1401 if you get that one working. They seemed most stable on the systems I was testing with.
Thanks for suggesting 1004.

Just to report: I tried the latest build (build 1801) without the CPU installed and then I tried flashing to build 1004 as suggested without the CPU.

When I re-install the CPU and switch on the power I get the 00 code.

Associate
not being funny but it boggles my mind why you would buy the top end desktop CPU and an inferior B series motherboard? why did you not opt for an X570 out of interest? they are far superior it seems to the B550 series?

Soldato
not being funny but it boggles my mind why you would buy the top end desktop CPU and an inferior B series motherboard? why did you not opt for an X570 out of interest? they are far superior it seems to the B550 series?
That's not true. The B550 is an excellent chipset. The vast majority of people do not need the extra features of the X570. Most users only need one PCIe 4.0 slot for the GPU and one for the NVME. 2.5GBit LAN is plenty for most users and the provision of SATA and USB is also absolutely fine for most users. Most users buying a board today do not need support for Zen/Zen+ CPU... and the X570 has a fan! ;)

I expect most, not all, but most people buying the X570 today aren't using the additional features over the B550.

Associate

PCIE4 is pointless at the moment. Fairly sure that there's no benefit of x570 over even a b450 in terms of how the CPU performs.

Back
Top Bottom