Just seen FB advert on TV

Caporegime
I'd actually love to read a psychological study on that behaviour to understand why people do it. As you say they differ from the "norm" in certain aspects and feel the need to tell everyone as if it's some kind of superiority thing. They have nothing to gain, nothing changes in their life, there is no advantage to this behaviour and yet they do it anyway. Is it a form of self-justification? It's weird.

Soldato
you can find them in other threads talking about how they do watch things on a screen by using iPlayer,
indeed - a stronger statement is I legitimately do not have a tv license.

So will facebook pay the 500k uk fine, pay early @250 ? or fight it ... if they don't fight it's a further admission

With the comments that the (impressionable ?) teenagers are using snapchat ... what is its advertising data gathering technique ? reading a couple of articles it is more insidious,
"curated" content plus

“We have to wait and see how [Snapchat] continues to open up to [non-traditional publishers],” said Shragai. “But from our end, this has worked because we bring a brand that speaks to the audience as a friend.”

Snapchat is irreverent and young, yes, but it is also defined by the fleeting nature of its experiences. By pursuing limited time Lenses and geographically specific Filters, your brand creates unique memories for your audience

https://digiday.com/media/snapchat-...l-publishing-brands-with-latest-partnerships/
https://adespresso.com/blog/advertising-snapchat-guide-sponsored-lenses-filters/

Soldato
I don’t know one person without one tbh, and never have.

I assume they mean they don't pay a license and probably only use their TV to stream. Not that they literally don't have a TV. Bizarrely I pay 65 a month for sky and we only ever watch boxed sets/sky cinema. Don't think we ever watch the live channels lol, too full of rubbish and re runs.

Caporegime
I assume they mean they don't pay a license and probably only use their TV to stream. Not that they literally don't have a TV. Bizarrely I pay 65 a month for sky and we only ever watch boxed sets/sky cinema. Don't think we ever watch the live channels lol, too full of rubbish and re runs.
I’m Sports and movies mad. Problem with those two, is once you’ve paid for them, you might as well bolt everything else on as it’s only a few more pounds. But yeah, I rarely watch live tv except sports.

Soldato
paradigm shift - we could adopt the ugandan tax on fb ?
a consumption tax like cigarettes/alcohol, and use the money to address the problems they are creating,
if fb want to pay it on users behalf, so be it, or, is this taxing free speech ?

Uganda imposes tax on social media use
KAMPALA (Reuters) - Uganda’s parliament has imposed a tax on the use of social media in a bid to raise revenue but opponents of the law say it aims to stifle criticism of President Yoweri Museveni, who has been in power since 1986.

Users will be charged 200 shillings ($0.0531) per day for services such as Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp. That amounts to around $19 per year in a country where gross domestic product per capita was around $615 in 2016, according to World Bank figures.

(yes we are already taxed for BB connection)

Soldato
maybe need a facebook sticky,
the first senate hearing was just lijke the end of alien,where you know it is still on board the ship and ready for round 2.
(still think the add showing vandalism of train furniture is inappropriate)

"We don't allow developers to build surveillance tools using information from Facebook or Instagram," said Ime Archibong, Facebook's vice president of product partnerships. "We take these allegations seriously, and we have suspended these apps while we investigate."

Facebook said Friday that Crimson Hexagon is cooperating and that so far its investigation hasn't found evidence that the firm obtained Facebook or Instagram information inappropriately.

Social media intelligence encompasses monitoring social media, collecting and analyzing the content, and using the resulting insights to inform the strategy. Basically, SMI uses both social media monitoring and analytics to derive strategic solutions.

In this process, McDonald’s isn’t just looking for a “follow-up” to marketing activity; through SMI, the brand can have a more rigorous, in-depth look at the conversation around the McNuggets. SMI allows McDonald’s to analyze the audience, such as its demographics and psychographics of the participants of the conversations, understand purchase intent, research similar product launches, and interpret this conversation through the use of custom categories.

Unlike social media monitoring, social media intelligence is commonly a precursor of marketing activity.
Think of it this way: Batman is omniscient and Superman is omnipotent. Although most companies want to assimilate themselves to a God-like character with unlimited power like Superman, Batman is more intelligent, relatable and versatile in his job.

https://medium.com/@karolian/facebooks-ad-tool-leaks-private-user-data-b3035aba846f
Facebook’s Ad Tool Can Be Used For Covert Surveillance
There are safeguards in place to help prevent abuse of Facebook’s advertising tools. For example, it is impossible to creating targeting parameters that focus on fewer than 20 users.
Merge With Target In A Single Custom Audience
To identify non-public information about a a target the process is quite simple; build a custom audience of decoy accounts and include the target account.

Soldato
So a newer more subtle facebook advert

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/08/more-coordinated-inauthentic-behavior/
We’ve removed 652 Pages, groups and accounts for coordinated inauthentic behavior that originated in Iran and targeted people across multiple internet services in the Middle East, Latin America, UK and US.

please give us the break-out of number of accounts ?

Should that example material have been removed ?
if I was using facebook I would be disappointed to be missing out on the example cartoons shown in the post
The corbyn one, the brexit stamps, in particular, where can I see the Trump utube. ?

In other news, .. or is it off after employee protest
Google plans censored version of search engine in China: The Intercept

Soldato
They were discussing/mocking it on the Radio4 today (Antigone Davis - female head of FB safety interviewd)
... still trying to ingratiate themseleves

Is Young People’s Time on Social Media Misspent?

As part of this, we recently commissioned independent think tank Demos, which has a long history of research into the impacts of social media on society and well-being, to provide a detailed look at how social media shapes young people’s experiences online and their lives in the real world.
The survey also found that young people are highly engaged with their community and civil society through social media:
  • Around half a million young people across the UK have used social media to communicate with politicians and political groups in the past 12 months and they credit social media as integral to successful campaigning.
    (;) as put to her. so they 'liked' J Corbyn say)
  • Beyond political campaigns, half of young people (50%) are in daily online contact with a local community group or charity.
  • Half (50%) are involved in non-party political campaigns through social media, like this year’s Women’s March

Soldato
the contributors to the facebook survey https://www.demos.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Plugged-In-Final-Report2.pdf
Unless they tell me otherwise (can't see it) .. the contributors were people who sign up to that company, so that is a representative sample - lol

We commissioned Opinium Research to carry out a representative survey of 1,000 Britons aged 16-25, and another representative survey of Britons aged 35- 50. Of the 2,000 people we surveyed, 96.5 percent were social media users. Broken down by the most popular platforms, their usage of social media platforms is shown below
7% of young people reported using social media to communicate directly with politicians or political groups in the past twelve months. Extrapolated to the UK population, this equates to approximately half a million young people communicating with political groups online. Of these people, half are in direct contact every week.

30950700928_4bf2ae380f_z_d.jpg

I need to sign up with a few aliases ....

Soldato
^ :D

I do agree though. A lot of people I talk to online say that 'classic' forums aren't social media, of course they are!

Just because it doesn't have live streaming and you're not usually posting to a specific set of followers doesn't disqualify it from being social media.

On the contrary, forums are the OG social media before 'social media' was a thing.

Although I'm seeing more and more people refer to 'forums' when they really mean facebook groups.

Those ads were awful too, I remember when they canvased London across the board - felt very Black Mirror esque when you were aware of the background scandals going on.

Soldato
*REBOOT*

So the New facebook 'device' tv advert

Portal - If you can't be there, feel there.

Does this kind of youtube idiocy really appeal to people, and sell deviecs, and they want more facebook invasion of privacy in their home.

The word portal just reminds me of the great Cronenberg film existenz where people have portals in their bodies for the ultimate machine/man interface,
guess it was before Zuck's time.

Existenz — "Phobia of Body Penetration"

[ 1999 David Cronenberg, Jude Law, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Willem Dafoe, Don McKellar, Sarah Polley,]

Soldato
Despite facebooks persistant virtue signalling with taking down of false news Russian/Chinese, sites they appear to have no sense of repsonsiibility about banning these women (social media) manipulators identified by the ASA / dieting products, so the idea of giving them money for hardware.

appears it will sooon be able to speak
-> "Log me out of Facebook". "I am afraid i cant do that Dave".

Soldato
I had a Facebook account MANY years ago.

Back then, your gran was not on it, just younger people who thought Myspace was ****.

I deleted my account after being asked for the 469th time to choose PIRATE OR NINJA.

Back
Top Bottom