Just switched two organisations from Google G-suite to Office 365 for Business

Soldato
After getting an email from Google saying that the price of G-Suite will rise in April, I had a look around at different options, and it seems that Office 365 for Business is cheaper and offers much of the same features.

I got the Business Essentials plans which give you the online office suite and Microsoft Teams for video conferencing/chat/audio and you also get 1TB of space on OneDrive for data which seems like an excellent deal to me. Plus if I ever want to upgrade to a higher plan, there are numerous features there I could use.

Has anyone else switched from Google G-suite?

Caporegime
I find that the longer people spend on one platform the harder it is to move, as they just get used to it. The primary client in G Suite is webmail, for Office 365 it's Outlook (and you don't want to try using Outlook with G Suite). Likewise there's no real equivalent of a shared mailbox in G Suite, which can really push the costs up.

But then SharePoint is quite awful for storing large amounts of file data compared to Team Drives, so there's no direct migration path there either. And Google's spam filtering is magical compared with Office 365.

Associate
Although not from g suite, I moved from an old exchange server to 365, used https://www.bittitan.com/ and made my job so much easier.

It's the re-training staff once moved, but gladly most people have used Office software before so I don't feel like going from g suite to 365 shouldn't be to bad.

Soldato
My university moved from G Suite to Office, and I personally can't stand it.

The Google account could be synced directly to Android devices, meaning calendar, productivity apps, hangouts chat and drive all synced without the need of another app (to get push notifications). Obviously with an iPhone you still need another app for everything, but I think the Google apps are better on iOS than MS ones.

To top it off, collaborative working is incredibly buggy with MS stuff - I've lost and corrupted so many files I can't keep count.

Outlook is pants imo, both the app and the web client - having been an outlook user for years, their newer updates, and the way Gmail has developed over the past few years has left gmail as my go to email client.

I use only use Office on my personal computer, but that's because they work pretty well. Same can't be said for collab working etc, as above

Associate
we moved October last year, it was a little bit of a pain, we used cloudmigrator365 to do the swap but it doesn't move everything only email, contacts, calendar and drive data no support for team drives or forms or any other aspects of Google. as far as I know, that's common with all migration tools.

Most users were ok with the move but if you have been in google for a while its a shift to using outlook.

Back
Top Bottom