• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just upgraded from GTX 580 to GTX 670

Associate
Just received my Gigabyte OC Windforce GTX670 today.
Have been playing BF3 and pCARS for the past 3 hours.
My temps on my Gigabyte Windforce GTX580 were idle 36-38 and full load playing the above 2 games were 71-74(at 58 fan speed on custom profile).
My GTX670 idles between 21-23 and full load at 48-50(at 45 fan speed)with all the same ingame settings when I was using the 580.
For me thats nuts(around 25 drop in temps at full load and fans are silent).
Haven't even monitored my fps or tried overclocking the card yet,will do this evening just can' get over how much of a drop in temps Im getting from my 670.
Is everyone else getting the same results from their Windforce 670?
Really impressed so far with this card(playing on a Dell 30'' @2560 x 1600)and can't wait until I get another one for SLI at Christmas.

Soldato
Yeah man these cards are exceptional. My card prior to that wad the 7950GT, it was never below 70'C and even hit 100'C+ quite frequently haha.

Permabanned
Yeah each new series seems to be using less power, producing less heat and gaining more performance. Exciting times ahead when chip sizes get down to their lowest possible size :D

Associate
OP
Just used fraps in pCARS and Im getting an average of 15-20 fps more than my 580 which is even more than I hoped for.
Don't think I will even bother to overclock the card as Im really happy so far from what I've seen.
For the past 6 months I have been tearing my hair out trying to decide would upgrading my 580 to a 670 be worth it and now I have my answer.
Only had to add 70 pounds to upgrade after selling my 580.
After having no problems for the 18 months I had my Windforce 580 and with my expierence of the Windforce 670 so far I can honestly say that any future card I will upgrade to will defo be a Gigabyte Windforce.
Roll on the 700 series next year.

Associate
OP
580 to 670 sounds like a bit of a sidegrade, but each to his own
Hi Moo,
Can see where your coming from as I said I wrecked my head for 6 months trying to decide was it worth it.
For the massive decrease in temps and noise alone plus the bonus of a decent fps boost in my favorite game Im more than happy with my choice to ''sidegrade''.
When the card arrived this morning I wasn't excited and didn't expect much but can honestly say for 70 pounds it's the best choice I have made in a long time regarding pc components,each to his own I suppose.

Soldato
I did this myself recently. Just a matter of "upgrade fever" in my particular case. I certainly would not describe it myself as a "sidestep". I've found both in synthetic tests and real world gaming, that I get approx. +30% over my 580 GTX. Could I justify the cost to change, of course not. But when has that ever come into the equation for a lot of folks :D

Though I suppose I could prattle on about the lower power requirement and cooler / quieter running. But who's that going to kid :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi greg,
Might try overclocking tomorrow and will report back.
Im using EVGA precission,what steps do I take to overclock?
Thanks for your help greg.

Hi Booter.

If you are familiar with afterburner or Precision X, use either. Start with mvoing the power target to max (furthest right), use something small on the GPU offset like +50 and put the mem offset to 450 ish.

Run Heaven bench and if that was good, go for +100 on the GPU offset but leave mem on ~450. If good again, go for 150 but if it crashes with 'The display driver has stopped responding and has recovered' error or something similar, start going backwards. Each chip is a lottery on the amount it will OC. Some will get very tiny amounts and some will get huge amounts.

Luck of the draw but take your time. Once you get heaven to pass a few times, back off around 10-15 on the GPU offset and use this as your 24/7 OC.

Hope that helps :)

Soldato
670 Gigabyte Windforce are shockingly cool aren't they. I went from a gigabyte GTX 480 with windforce cooler to yours, so similar sort of thing, but even more pronouced (480 would go up to mid-high 80's in temps). The 670 WF goes to about 57 degrees max on the auto fan profile.

(Note: my gtx 480 is now up for sale in the MM!)

I've now got 2 670's :eek: Long story but the gigagbyte didn't overclock/ boost as much as many others do and I was going to DSR it. Got an EVGA 670 FTW to 'replace' it, but have now decided to keep both and try out SLI for the first time!

Madness. Even though the EVGA has a 680 blower cooler on it, the gig windforce runs about 15-20 degrees cooler!

Not overclocking either now;), as the performance is just mental. Skyrim with full enb mod, DOF, SSAO, high res texture packs/ everything you can chuck at it. Never goes below 60fps. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I went from sli gtx 470's to a single wf 670. The 470's were clocked at 750mhz, but the heat they generated was a bit much. 75-70c with a custom fan profile. Still rather loud, the 670 clocks to 1320 on the core, 7586 on memory yet it runs whisper quiet and hits 66c in a case with pretty poor cooling. Power use dropped a fair bit as well, 630w with the sli setup, 420w with the 670. That was on my old i7 920 @4ghz. Should be a bit lower again now with the 3570k.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just popping in to say that 580 to 670 is not a side grade (as somebody said above).

Granted it isn't worth it if you're not going to sell the 580 to recoup some of the costs but o say it's a side grade is inaccurate.

7970 to 680 is a true side-grade.

Associate
OP
heaven2012091111554754.jpg
[/IMG]
First time using Heaven.
Using EVGA precission I set power target to 111%
gpu clock offset + 100mhz
mem clock offset 450
Ran this three times,no problems with max temp 50 degrees.
Is this a decent score or am I running Heaven at easist settings,any help appreciated guys.

Back
Top Bottom