• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Kaby Lake and Windows 7...

Associate
I don't know what to do, I've just found out that Kaby doesn't support Win7 (I know I should have done my research) but now I literally can't do anything. I used a HDD from a previous build that has Win7 installed on it. I have access to everything on my HDD from before, but Win7 won't detect my USB drive to install Win10 or to at least let me update the latest LAN driver for my mobo.

Now, I went into the BIOS and the USB drive is detected on there so I set it to boot priority and saved the changes. But when it boots from there, the screen just goes black and then starts up Win7 normally again from the HDD.

So now I'm out of idea's, anyone know what I can do from here?

I'm using the ASUS PRIME B250M-K paired with an Intel Pentium G4560 and 8GB DDR4 RAM if that helps!

Cheers

Man of Honour
If you've taken a HDD with Windows 7 on it from a previous build and just shoved it in a system with a whole new motherboard then you can expect problems - a fresh install is required really to be sure the chipset is running as problem free as possible.

Also booting from USB will usually require some modification to the OS as its not designed to start the USB drivers in the right part of the chain for booting from such media.

Associate
OP
Buy Windows 10?

I assume you'd rather not have that though, as you'd have upgraded when it was free?

Have a look at this post. Microsoft Locks Ryzen, Kaby Lake Users Out of Updates On Windows 7, 8.1

Seems someone has managed to bypass the update block that stops new CPU ranges working properly with 7 and 8.1. If you're dead against W10, might be the only option, other than switching to Linux.

I have a DVD drive and I tried to install the motherboards drivers from the disc ASUS provided and that didn't work either. So even if I had a physical version of Win10 I doubt it'd read that either.

I'll take a look at the link you provided though, cheers.

Associate
OP
If you've taken a HDD with Windows 7 on it from a previous build and just shoved it in a system with a whole new motherboard then you can expect problems - a fresh install is required really to be sure the chipset is running as problem free as possible.

Also booting from USB will usually require some modification to the OS as its not designed to start the USB drivers in the right part of the chain for booting from such media.

Yeah man, truth is I wasn't even planning to use Win7 from the old HDD, but when I had already taken the old build apart I had only just realised I didn't format the HDD and I couldn't be bothered to put it all back together again just for that.

Soldato
I have a DVD drive and I tried to install the motherboards drivers from the disc ASUS provided and that didn't work either. So even if I had a physical version of Win10 I doubt it'd read that either.

I'll take a look at the link you provided though, cheers.

Sorry, I must have skipped over where you mentioned Win10. I was thinking you were still using Win7 and forgot Kabylake and Ryzen need Win10 to work properly.

Is the USB stick containing W10 installation bootable?

Associate
OP
Sorry, I must have skipped over where you mentioned Win10. I was thinking you were still using Win7 and forgot Kabylake and Ryzen need Win10 to work properly.

Is the USB stick containing W10 installation bootable?

It's bootable, shows up in the BIOS but not on Win7 when the PC is running. Even when I set it to boot from the BIOS nothing happens, there's just a black screen for a few seconds and then the PC boot into Win7 again from the HDD.

Soldato
Being detected in the BIOS doesn't mean it's bootable though.

Did you try booting with the USB stick in your old PC; did it work?

Associate
OP
Being detected in the BIOS doesn't mean it's bootable though.

Did you try booting with the USB stick in your old PC; did it work?

USB could be the issue, tried booting from USB on my brothers laptop and it did the same thing that's occurring on my PC. Black screen with a flashing underscore in the top left corner for a few seconds and then boots into windows like normal.

I don't have another spare USB drive, so I'll have to buy one... if that doesn't fix the issue, im gon' be p*****!

Soldato
Why do you have to buy another?

It's very unlikely a fault with the USB stick, likely it has just has been configured incorrectly for it to be bootable. That's assuming you didn't use it to install Win10 on your previous PC.

You should be able to create a bootable installation USB stick for Win10 using your brother's laptop or another PC. Here's a tutorial from ten forums: Link

Associate
OP
Why do you have to buy another?

It's very unlikely a fault with the USB stick, likely it has just has been configured incorrectly for it to be bootable. That's assuming you didn't use it to install Win10 on your previous PC.

You should be able to create a bootable installation USB stick for Win10 using your brother's laptop or another PC. Here's a tutorial from ten forums: Link

Yeah, I'm doing this now googled it before you replied. I'm using rufus as we speak, hopefully it works.

zia

zia

Associate
Providing you motherboard has windows 7 driver you should be fine am running windows 7 on kabylake.just be careful not installed latest windows 2017 update.

Zia

Back
Top Bottom