• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Keep X1800XT 256mb or go to X1900XT 256mb?

Associate
Simple question

Keep X1800XT 256mb for use with 20" widescreen or sell it and get the Connect3D X1900XT on offer this week?

At auction I should be able to get £100 or so, shouldn't I?

So about £70 or less delivered to upgrade...

...worth it or just an itchy 'buy now' finger?

Soldato
I'm tempted to do the same thing myself. I'd go for it TBH, especially for gaming in 1680*1050. Go for the HIS one though with the quieter cooler (on pre-order currently). Better than losing your warranty when you put a VF900/Accelero X2 on there.

Of course you can just try the X1800 XT at that res and see how it gets on.

Associate
For 70 pounds I don't think it's worth and I made the switch from a noisey x1800xt 256 to a silent x1900xt 512, I didn't think it was worth it. Just keep what you've got until the next lot of cards.

Caporegime
Mr Paul said:
There is no point in upgrading from a X1800XT to a X1900XT with DX10 cards arouns the corner. Just not worth it for that few fps you'll gain.....

There is no point getting a DX10 card either, not for about a year+. :)

Depends what res you play at, if its 1280x1024 then nope, couple of frames at best, higher then yes, as the higher the res, the bigger the gap, so if its 20" Widescreen 16 whatever it is then the x1900 would be worth it. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not worth upgrading from a x1800xt to a x1900xt-256, as your current card is already pretty good. It's just not worth £70 and all the hassle. I'd be looking more at the x1950xt-x to make a real difference.

Caporegime
LoadsaMoney said:
There is no point getting a DX10 card either, not for about a year+. :)

I have 60 days left on the step up program with EVGA.

I will get a DX 10 card if they are released in time.

Not because I can use the DX features.Its because it will be faster than any DX 9 card.

This new DX 10 card will hold its value when I upgrade again.And I will upgrade again until DX 10 games are out and Vista.

After all I am one for having a gfx card a few months and moving on, that way you don't loose a shedload of cash on each card.But you get to play with all the latest hardware.

Look at it like renting a top card for a few months then getting a new one. :p

Associate
OP
HangTime said:
Not worth upgrading from a x1800xt to a x1900xt-256, as your current card is already pretty good. It's just not worth £70 and all the hassle. I'd be looking more at the x1950xt-x to make a real difference.

LoadsaMoney said:
At his res it is worth it, as the x1900 would last longer than his x1800 at that res. :)

This is exactly my dilemma...

Caporegime
deadeyedic30 said:
Whats the point of getting a directx10 card in a month or so if they are out when it will be a good while before direct10 is out and games even use it. :confused:

cause they will be faster than any current DX 9 CARD even in dx 9 games.

so it will be just like getting a new card but it will be dx 10 capable

Permabanned
easyrider said:
cause they will be faster than any current DX 9 CARD even in dx 9 games.

so it will be just like getting a new card but it will be dx 10 capable

lol... not quite... when ran on a directX 10 system like vista, the first gen DX10 cards have every chance of being slower at DX9 games compaired to current DX9 cards due to the fact that the DX10 system uses a software layer to run DX9 games as opposed to utilising hardware.

Caporegime
locutus12 said:
lol... not quite... when ran on a directX 10 system like vista, the first gen DX10 cards have every chance of being slower at DX9 games compaired to current DX9 cards due to the fact that the DX10 system uses a software layer to run DX9 games as opposed to utilising hardware.

Im not talking about vista.

I'm talking about getting a DX 10 card in november when they are released.
They will be faster than any DX 9 card in xp.

And by the time vista is out I will be third gen DX 10 card in probably.

Permabanned
easyrider said:
Im not talking about vista.

I'm talking about getting a DX 10 card in november when they are released.
They will be faster than any DX 9 card in xp.

And by the time vista is out I will be third gen DX 10 card in probably.

theres no point in gettng a DX10 card if your not going to use directX 10 when its available and it will only be available under Vista. but i understand what you mean, that said, most people will buy DX10 cards for DX10 gaming, the downside will be a performance hit on DirectX 9 games when ran on a DX10 system. Last i heard, Vista is out in january.

Caporegime
locutus12 said:
theres no point in gettng a DX10 card if your not going to use directX 10 when its available and it will only be available under Vista. but i understand what you mean, that said, most people will buy DX10 cards for DX10 gaming, the downside will be a performance hit on DirectX 9 games when ran on a DX10 system. Last i heard, Vista is out in january.

I'll be upgrading so i dont lose to much on my GX2.

DX 10 cards will be easier to sell on etc....

I don't like loosing more than 75 on a gfx card when I upgrade.
When DX 10 cards come on the scene regardless if you can use the DX 10 features ,DX 9 cards prices will plummit :eek:

Back
Top Bottom