keep your keyless fob in a metal box my friends car was broken into

Soldato
So you believe the security (or lack of) of a vehicle has no bearing on its attractiveness to a consumer?

Very little. Most people will believe it is secure enough and rely on their insurance in worst case scenario. But it won't happen to them anyway.

Soldato
Well, no they won't, they are car thieves not burglars, crims want an easy life and are lazy, cowardly c***s, planning a house break in needs a bit of brain power, is risky and way too much effort.

BTW How will they restart the car after the initial start -up, the car is miles away but the remote is still in the owner's kitchen ?

It's so insecure you can simply program a new key using a laptop plugging in to the OBD2 port. Takes under a minute.

Soldato
Well you got that part right anyway.

Why? I get out, I press the button on the door handle. The mirrors fold in and it's locked. It's no different to pressing the lock button on the fob. It won't unlock until I try and open the door.

Why would I be putting the key anywhere? It's never left my pocket (or in the wifes case, the depths of her handbag). If I did manage to leave the keys in the car it wouldn't let me lock it anyway.

Loads of different systems have different methods but if you have to push a button on the car to lock it then what is the point? :p

All of this could be avoided by having the key transmit only when required, if pushing a button on the fob is too much for some people then perhaps just when the fob senses movement.

Caporegime
A proper tin should work as it surrounds the transmitter with a material that the radio frequencies cannot pass through*, anti static bags however are not designed to stop radio frequencies but dissipate electrical charges, which is a very different task.

^^^ this - the old ammunition box mentioned before (from eBay) or a biscuit tin ought to work

Well, no they won't, they are car thieves not burglars, crims want an easy life and are lazy, cowardly c***s, planning a house break in needs a bit of brain power, is risky and way too much effort.

I doubt it, I reckon the typical house burglar is few steps down the ladder than the criminals who have got together then tech needed to pull this off and have co-ordinated shipping the car overseas promptly afterwards

as someone stated the car manufacturers are not bothered because they are technically selling more cars when the insurance buys you a replacement. This is why Insurance is sky high for everyone at the minute.

this is a silly argument IMO - it is going to have a negligible effect on sales for these manufacturers, I don't think it will have a huge impact on insurance prices either (I'd suspect that most claims relate to accidents and not theft) and that most vehicle thefts don't involve this exploit

Soldato
All keyless entry/start cars can be stolen this way and it will be effecting insurance for everyone.

The main vulnerability is the fact the key is constantly sending out a signal. It's the same with all wireless devices which do that. In the old days when you had to press a button on the fob it wasn't possible.

Soldato
All keyless entry/start cars can be stolen this way and it will be effecting insurance for everyone.

The main vulnerability is the fact the key is constantly sending out a signal. It's the same with all wireless devices which do that. In the old days when you had to press a button on the fob it wasn't possible.

TBH I don't see the draw of keyless anything. What's the point?

Soldato
I don't know. It's fake progress. Looks hi-tec so it must be better! Seems to work on people who buy Apple products.

Next it will be keyless doors on houses and then people will complain they keep getting burgled.

Soldato
You dont need to insert a key to open the door or start the engine.
Jeez, dim or what ?

You must be dim if you struggle with unlocking a car. Do you have to manually open the door too...

One of my cars hasn't even got central locking. One of them hasnt even got a lock come to think of it.

Permabanned
You must be dim if you struggle with unlocking a car. Do you have to manually open the door too...

One of my cars hasn't even got central locking. One of them hasnt even got a lock come to think of it.

Well, some of us aspire to quality cars built in the 21st century , I hope you will be very happy with your 1970s icons, has it got a starting handle , and an 8 track ?:D

Soldato
Well, some of us aspire to quality cars built in the 21st century , I hope you will be very happy with your 1970s icons, has it got a starting handle , and an 8 track ?:D

I've actually got a land rover with a starting handle, PTO and manual overdrive. It's totaly crazy. I have to pull a cable to cut the engine. Pretty sure the modern car thief would be stumped by a cable based kill system :p maybe I'm just not aspiring hard enough :( :p

Soldato

Yea except much of what they put in modern cars is done just because it's cheaper. A high quality, physical lock and coded key, which will last the life of the car costs a lot more than a simple RFID device.

Most people will notice a shoddy key and lock. They won't notice shoddy (or non existent) encryption on a wireless device unless they are skilled IT security analysts.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yea except much of what they put in modern cars is done just because it's cheaper. A high quality, physical lock and coded key, which will last the life of the car costs a lot more than a simple RFID device.

Most people will notice a shoddy key and lock. They won't notice shoddy (or non existent) encryption on a wireless device unless they are skilled IT security analysts.

Not sure about modern gadgetry being cheaper, Keyless Entry and Keyless Go are only fitted to the top models in a range , base models get a key and a remote for central locking.

Such systems are not idiot-proof, I myself [ the idiot in question ] has parked and locked the car, done some shopping, and returned to find the car still idling. One would think the car would not lock with the engine running, but hey-ho.

Soldato
Such systems are not idiot-proof, I myself [ the idiot in question ] has parked and locked the car, done some shopping, and returned to find the car still idling. One would think the car would not lock with the engine running, but hey-ho.

Friend of a friend did that, I didn't recognize the car and just went inside and said how some range rover has been left with the engine running outside. Cue them running to the car :D

Back
Top Bottom