keep your keyless fob in a metal box my friends car was broken into

Soldato
Yea except much of what they put in modern cars is done just because it's cheaper. A high quality, physical lock and coded key, which will last the life of the car costs a lot more than a simple RFID device.

Most people will notice a shoddy key and lock. They won't notice shoddy (or non existent) encryption on a wireless device unless they are skilled IT security analysts.

You really really MUST stop making up 'facts' to fit your anti-manufacturer agenda. Keyless systems cost more than traditional systems. I've seen the numbers.

Soldato
I don't need to insert a key or to start the engine. I don't have keyless entry though. Pressing a button to open the car really isn't that much hassle.

I think it's more to do with taking the keys out, they are just on your person. So what people find convenient is that the keys can be on their person, they can unlock the car, get in, start the car and drive away. My car has a keyless start but I still have to find and grapple with the little button on the fob to unlock it.

Soldato
This may also fit the bill ? (secret santa gift ?)

You’re out on an adventure and an alert is received that atmospheric conditions are about to fry your electronics. So, unless you have paid for the U.S. Government TEMPEST edition of your electronics, it’s a good thing you have your EDC EMP hank to shield your devices. Whether the alerts are from solar radiation, nuclear detonation or static discharges, you’ll need something to protect your electronics. The EMP hank is made of your choice of various colors and designs and has a Nickle/Copper backing that is patterned as a Faraday cage. In 1836, Michael Faraday observed that excess charge on a conductor resided only on the exterior and didn’t influence anything on the inside. He then built a room coated with metal foil and hit it with high-voltage discharges and used an electroscope to show no charges inside the room. This hank provides that similar design.

Soldato
It's also not a "simple RFID device" but hey ho...

Yes it is RFID and only 32bit encryption on some of them, sounds pretty simple to me. Some of the early ones had predictable rolling codes as well, which was dumb.

Last edited:
Associate
I think that approach might have a few drawbacks - it would wreck the car and potentially harm anyone who happened to be nearby, plus it would trigger terrorist alerts all the time and that would harm more people. Interior car guns to shoot everyone inside a lot? Many of the same problems. Poison gas? The thieves could open a window.

We need to get Q on the case!
Smoke cloak, strobe light and a master blaster. Hooked up to the panic button on a spare fob, when activated the ignition will cut, doors will deadlock, cabin will fill with dense smoke paired with a strobe would disorient and the master blaster will make ears bleed.

Only one problem, if they p!$$ themselves you might have to torch the car.

Soldato
A few cars from my street where stolen the other week, they just broke into the houses and took the keys.

Due to this we're keeping the keys upstairs, but someone mentioned to us that is better they get the keys down stairs then coming up whilst you're sleeping

Caporegime
Smoke cloak, strobe light and a master blaster. Hooked up to the panic button on a spare fob, when activated the ignition will cut, doors will deadlock, cabin will fill with dense smoke paired with a strobe would disorient and the master blaster will make ears bleed.

Only one problem, if they p!$$ themselves you might have to torch the car.

or you have a minor accident/bump and inadvertently trigger parts of this DIY security system on your way to work...

Associate
or you have a minor accident/bump and inadvertently trigger parts of this DIY security system on your way to work...
I wasn’t being serious!
But using the alarms outputs as long as the wiring is sound and not soctchlocked together the alarm wouldn’t activate while disarmed or with the ignition on.

Smoke cloak was a toad add on they also had a camera which you would mount in one of the dials, it would take pictures of who ever broke into the car they don’t make either anymore.

Associate
All this talk of RFID blockers, Faraday cages etc. Are they really necessary to stop this relay theft? Surely if you keep your keyless entry key well away from the front or back of your house, that's enough?

Back
Top Bottom