Keeping spectacles clean.

Soldato
How the hell can you keep your glasses clean? I've recently started wearing glasses and find they can get very smeary and grubby very quickly! I find the marks quite distracting. I have a cleaning cloth, but that just seems to move the smears about, even using the old 'huff on the glasses' technique!

The only way to get them really clean is with mild hand soap, hot water and then a microfibre towel to dry. This works really well, but soon the lenses are marked again!

I also seem to have long eyelashes - if I sit the glasses too near my eyes my lashes rub against the inside of the lens!

Is the constant cleaning just something I'll have to accept, or will I learn to ignore some of the smears over time? (I've been wearing them for a week and a half)

Soldato
I have cheap specsavers glasses, aruond this time of year they are terrible when going from outdoors to idoors, they steam up in under 5 seconds rendering them useless for the next 5 minutes!

Soldato
You'll get used to it. The ability of glasses to attract greasy finger prints is only surpassed by a freshly wiped iPad!

I usually clean mine with drop of fairy liquid and warm water every couple of days. Just be careful to blow any grit/dirt off first to prevent scratches.

Soldato
I have been wearing glasses for about a decade now and I can easily go a day or two without cleaning the lenses on them purely because unless I take them off and look directly at them I do not realise they have about 15 fingerprint smudges and other bits of crap on them, the only time I specifically remember I need to clean them is after cooking bacon and having it spit at me and cover the lenses in a fine mist of grease.

In fact after typing this I took my glasses off and can see finger print smears covering 40% of the lens as well as numerous other bits that I just cant tell are there when I am wearing them.

As for cleaning, for me its either a bit of water or just some breath and then a wipe with a microfibre type cloth.

Back
Top Bottom