Kent—the best town/area to live for London commuting

Associate
Dear all, I currently renting a beautiful flat in a very nice area of Bromley/London- Beckenham ( wish i was living all my life here) Im thinking is time to buy a one bedroom property, but Beckenham is quite expensive. I work near Canary Warf and Kent is still where I would like to move. Don’t mind commuting for 1hr-1.30mins. I have no family, so im looking for a nice place with coffee shops, restaurants,green areas, nice community, gym, and all in all to feel safe! My favourite places would be Tonbridge (still zone 6), Tunbridge Wells ( read lots of good things), Maidstone (read mixed feelings! ) . Happy to try something else, like Surrey /Sutton, but Kent is a winner for me! Lovely gardens and beautiful seaside:)

Associate
I live in Maidstone. I have been here since 1996. It has gone down hill a lot in that time. Traffic is horrendous. I work in Medway (about 8 miles away), it takes people less time to commute in from Herne Bay (about 25 miles away). More and more houses are being built. I wouldn't recommend Maidstone - and it pains me to say that as I once was proud to live here. Of course if you like pound shops and take aways it's lovely...:rolleyes:

Man of Honour
My sister lives in Sidcup which is a really nice area, and easy route right off the motorway :cool:

True story, I grew up in my early years in Beckenham, lived on top of a shop and recall seeing some funky things:
- Once saw a figure standing in the doorway as I tried to get to bed, the room light was off but hallways light on and the figure was as tall as the door frame and stood deathly still. I covered myself in the blanket hoping it went away. It did.
- I saw a man get hit by a van with a ladder on its roof, the man died as his head hit the ladder. There was lots of blood :eek:
- My gran was sick in a carrier bag on a long journey back to Beckenham and the bag was 3/4 full of sick, it had a hole so was leaking :eek:
- I got hit on the eye with a wooden arrow playing cowboys & indians and that eye has since been weaker than the other
- I had a David Hasselhoff buggy, it had his face printed on the front end. Knightrider was my fav show back then.
- THIS!
GtgAknx.jpg

Cheers for bringing these memories back of ol' Kent :eek:

Soldato
Amazing how many people live near me - I sold my flat near Kent House station (Beckenham) about 4 weeks ago, currently in West Wickham until my new place goes through in Biggin Hill! Sidcup/Bexley is nice and near transport, Petts Wood is OK but depends on the side of it. £200k isn't a lot of budget though for a 1-bed unless you're a bit further out

- GP

Soldato
Paddock Wood is quiet, within commuting distance of London and Tonbridge/Tunbridge/Sevenoaks are all relatively close and convenient. Apparently the worst thing that hapens round there is that the church bell wakes you up in the morning.
I have family down that way, but couldn't tell you much more.

Aw, looks at the littlest dictator!
Looks more like one of the Thunderbirds, to me!

Back
Top Bottom