DELETED_3139

Associate
Wow, good job!

I am looking for a first bike and if i new how to take one apart like this i imagine i could get a better deal (from buying a dirty bike haha).

Will keep checking this thread out! :)

Soldato
Awesome stuff. I'm going to do something similar very shortly to the RSV. Complete stripdown and clean. Also going to replace 99% of the bolts and fastners on it as some are looking a bit shabby and they let the bike down as it is otherwise absolutely minted. Priced up the fastners online, god - you would be surprised just how much it costs to replace a few nuts and bolts!!.

Nice log so far Kermit. Looking forward to seeing the rest. Curious - what did you use to clean the inside face of the swinging arm?. My Mille is always grubby in that area at this time of year before a pre season clean up. And also the gold Brembo's, what did you use to clean those?. I have similar calipers on mine.

Soldato
Your possibly right but I have a thing against Dunlops since their D207 days when me (Sp1 with BT014's) and a mate (207's on R6) both approached the same roundabout for a lap or two. My BT14's stuck as they should, his 207's didn't and he's at least as good as me and he was on a nimbler bike.

So since that day many moons ago I've avoided Dunlops like the plague :p

The D220's that came on my SV were pretty awful as well, but there seems to be almost universal praise for the SportSmarts in both the magazines and on forums. It's the only tyre to have scored 5 stars in Bike magazine.

Re. Tail tidy, could you make a hacksaw cut down down each side of the mounting bracket and straighten out the 90 degree bends to make the bracket wide enough for a couple of mounting holes?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never had the pleasure of having any sort of Dunlops on a bike for years. My Mille has been shod with Michelin Pilot Powers or Pilot Power 2CT's always and I really can't see past them. Fantastic hoops. ;)

Associate
Out of that list of tyres the real bargain that stands out to me is the Pirelli Diablo Corsas for £159.

The Monster is a lovely bike although you should be jacking the rear end up as far as it will go as they have far too little weight over the front end as standard. Watch out for the electrics to the rear hanger, the brake light pod in particular is prone to furry connectors causing your brake light / rear light to flicker on and off at will.

Engine oil wise the shell advance 10w-40 fully synth has never let me down. Sold by the Ducati dealer and now the standard oil for their bikes. I use it in my 900SS race bike (same bottom end to the engine as the 750) and it works great in that.

The engine paint is notorious on all the air cooled Ducatis and yours is actually quite good!

If you are running open pipes then consider the common airbox mod for these bikes where the entire top surface of the airbox is cut away apart from the bottom front edge (to keep the water out). The induction roar is great and it really helps the engine breath if paired with jetting or a power commander (depending on if its a carby/injected).

EDIT: Also forgot to mention check the valve clearences as getting them right will make the world of difference to this bike. They are dead easy to get to under the grey covers on the cylinder heads and there are only 4 of them!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom