Keyboard and mouse selector for gaming

Associate
Hi, with working from home I have used my home computer for work. However, work are now supplying me a computer (well the money, I have to build it). Given space is a premium I intend to connect the new computer to my monitors via HDMI.

Just wondering though if I could share my Corsair K95 keyboard and Glaive Pro mouse? I know there are selectors available to do this, but I really want one that allows functionality on both machines. The selectors I have seen/used in the past at work tend to be designed around generic (cheap) USB keyboards and mice.

Any ideas on a suitable product? Thanks.

Associate
I'm not sure of the question; as you say you can get USB selectors or "switches" that allow you to connect to two PC's and switch which one you are using (Sabrent USB 2.0 Sharing Switch).

What is wrong with them (you mention they are cheap)?

Associate
OP
I'm not sure of the question; as you say you can get USB selectors or "switches" that allow you to connect to two PC's and switch which one you are using (Sabrent USB 2.0 Sharing Switch).

What is wrong with them (you mention they are cheap)?

Well I was trying to establish if there was anything wrong with them. I was concerned that with the selectors I was looking at that I would lose most of the functionality (lighting, macros etc) as they wouldn't work properly.

Soldato
Your only issue with going via a USB 2.0 is that it may not have enough power for all the lights etc you could always use 2 cables (i'm sure that k95 has two ports). Try plugging it into a USB 2.0 and see if it has full function. If it does bingo. Any USB switching port will work fine for the KM - Aten US224 is a good place to start. A USB3 one is significantly more expensive though (twice the price for the US234).

The difficulty you're going to have is/if? that you're also wanting to switch video, KVM it's all going to depend on what you're gaming at and you're probably going to have to look at something like an Aten CS1822, supports 4k @ 60hz or 1080p @ 144Hz but price is 3x the US234

Last edited:
Soldato
Your main issue is going to be passing through decent spec HDMI a cheap switcher (1440p, 144hz etc). For that reason can you plug your 2x PC's outputs directly into the monitor? Does it have 2x hdmi or DP inputs? Otherwise you're going to have to spend a lot on the switcher.

If you can do that you can just get any old usb switcher, I reckon.

I have a work MBP and my own PC using a cheap switcher. I was using it to switch hdmi but I since bought a new monitor/gfx card etc and now plug them directly into the monitor. Means two button pushes to switch (one on monitor, one on usb switcher) but I'm generally either working or playing and have no need to switch faster. Means I can game at 144hz at 1080p without the switcher doing anything funky.

Soldato
Where did you go with this in the end? The Aten CS1822 looks good as it supports EDID and seemingly can do >60hz at lower resolutions (eg: 1440p).

Associate
OP
Where did you go with this in the end? The Aten CS1822 looks good as it supports EDID and seemingly can do >60hz at lower resolutions (eg: 1440p).

I bought a UGREEN USB 3.0 Switch, 2 In 4 Output USB 3.0 Sharing Switcher Box. Works fine,.and mouse and keyboard have full functionality. I connect my comptuters via HDMI and Displayport so didn't need a selector that did video.

Back
Top Bottom