Keyboard for gaming and coding

Man of Honour
Hey guys,

Looking to get a new build this week and I'll be needing a new mouse and keyboard. The keyboard however is giving me a bit of trouble in deciding what to go for.

I want something good for gaming, and I really like the look of the RGB keyboards with all the different colours (priorities I know...:p) but I don't think I'm going to be able to go with a mechanical keyboard. As much as I'd love to try one, the noise of them and the comfort of them when using them for non gaming stuff puts me off.

80% of the time I'll be gaming on the PC but will sometimes be doing some coding on there. I do most of my app development on my MacBook, however there are occasions when I use C# and mess around with Windows development so will be doing a fair bit of coding and documentation on the PC.

Budget wise, there isn't really one. Happy to spend what it takes to get the right one

Are there any models that fit the bill? I'm going to go and try some down at GAME and the other electrical high street store as they usually have a few gaming keyboards on display, but would be good if you guys could point me in the right direction too

Soldato
I think you have dismissed mechanical keyboards far too quickly. The only ones that are inherently noisey are blue switches cause they click, all the others are only noisy if you bottom out the switch plus the noise is far less off putting if you are the one making it. Comfort surely depends on a lot of factors other than switch?

Switch preference is personal. I like browns cause they have a bump that you can feel when pressing them, reds are very light without the bump, blacks are heavy without the bump. Blues have a click. Reds are traditionally recommended for gaming but it will only make a difference if you are playing at a high level.

You might want to consider tenkeyless if you don't use the numpad, or the Coolermaster masterkeys M if you use it on occasion but would benefit from the tenkeyless size. Wrist Rest is preference too.

Soldato
I used to code (at work) with an IBM clicky mech board and I absolutely loved it.

Recently bought a Corsair Strafe RGB (blue keys) from OCUK and it's superb.

Blues aren't for everyone but I really like them.

Man of Honour
Blues were originally designed for typing I think? I find them good for coding but poor for gaming (might be good for gaming if you have a very deliberate style), reds and browns sit somewhere in between while blacks personally I don't find good for typing but great for fast paced gaming.

They are all fairly noisy though blues are by far the loudest usually.

I'd definitely try and get to try them as you may find one switch type perfect for you or you might find mechanicals as a whole completely aren't for you.

Man of Honour
OP
After trying some mechanical ones, I really didn't like them and even in the shop they were quite noisy, so wouldn't fancy it in a quiet room

Went for a Corsair K55 and love it. Get all the benefits of the fancy lighting and the keys feel lovely

Soldato
K70 Rapidfire would get my vote (MX silver). Quieter than MX reds and I'm a touch typist and don't find it too noisy. PC is even in the lounge and whether I or missus are on it, neither complains about the noise.

I thought I'd use RGB function but actually just ended up sticking with default red with white WASD and arrow keys.

V F

V F

Soldato
Do people tweak the autorepeatdelay/short/bounce/flags settings in the registry with these type of keyboards at all?

V F

V F

Soldato
I've never even heard of any of those things. I plug my keyboard in and type on it.

Default is:

"AutoRepeatDelay"="1000"
"AutoRepeatRate"="500"
"DelayBeforeAcceptance"="1000"
"Flags"="126"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response]

https://superuser.com/questions/388160/keyboard-repeat-rate-repeat-delay-values-in-win7#509811

Hmm...
"Thanks for posting this! I used auto-repeat value of 725 for my 1000 Hz polling rate keyboard, it was doing random repeats and this fixed it :)Zhuinden Aug 19 '14 at 18:06"

I sometimes have issues with player characters in Quake Champions strafing left too quickly while jumping... More so Anarki. As if a magnet was in the ground and lost momentum too quick.

Back
Top Bottom