Keyboard & mouse no op when doing windows install

Associate
bought an asus rog strix b350 & ryzen 1600x, mouse keyboard work fine in bios, put the windows cd in, gets to the starting windows bit then the keyboard & mouse go dark.. loads to the first menu but keyboard & mouse have no power, unplug & replug, the mouse lights up but does nothing, keyboard stays unlit, both are in usb2 sockets.....this motherboard has no ps2 sockets so cant try that.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably a driver issue, although odd that it'll work in bios.
Can you borrow a basic keyboard to get you through the windows install/update ?

Associate
OP
Basic keyboard? You mean the old round connector ones, my motherboard has no ps2 round socket on it, or do you mean a basic non lighting up type keyboard will work

Will making a fresh windows install on the hard disc with my old pc setup, fresh, dont install any drivers work on the new setup?

Associate
have you tried USB ports that are not part of your motherboard ie case ports.

PS
Just as a hail mary have you tried just hitting reset settings on uefi bios even if you have not changed anything.

I would post a link to several suggestions but not sure if its allowed or not.

Is there a full list of sites not allowed to be linked to.

Edit (for the 50th time lol)
Ill post one that I had read since it was related to an Asus board.

I fixed this by going into BIOS and changing USB setting, "EHCI Hand-off" to Enabled. I have an Asus board. Hope this helps others as well.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
done it before i posted here, theres usb hand off & legacy option. I tried both on, both off, combnation etc, reset the bios settings etc.

The most popular fix is to plug in the old keyboard but having no socket im stuck, i cant believe this isnt a bigger problem, no one else has this, is it anything to do with types of keyboard?

Will this fresh windows setup Installed on my old intel system, plugged into the new amd system work if i put no drivers on it, just installed the os, clean, or does windows actually install some specific stuff for the machine its being installed on during the install from the cd?

The other option seems to be inserting usb3 drivers into an iso of windows 7.... no idea how to do that.....?

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting Windows 7 to install on Ryzen is a pain. I recently built a small system for my Niece and couldn't get any of the USB ports to recognise the mouse/keyboard. In the end I just put W10 on it.

You can have a read through this link if you want to try, but it isn't straightforward especially as you don't have PS/2 ports.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

Associate
OP
So the fresh install works but even once its on thers no usb action. I even installed the usb3 drivers on windows but still didnt work.

Associate
OP
Resorted to windows 10 **** it works though, need to try to find an “unattended” windows 7 with the usb drivers added to it & get back to windows 7.

Apparently its all a nasty trick by microsoft to make you upgrade to windows 10, they force the chip manufacturers to not support older os anymore, so ryzen etc dont work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Resorted to windows 10 **** it works though, need to try to find an “unattended” windows 7 with the usb drivers added to it & get back to windows 7.

Apparently its all a nasty trick by microsoft to make you upgrade to windows 10, they force the chip manufacturers to not support older os anymore, so ryzen etc dont work.

I feel your pain. I myself am still using W7 although my pc is pretty outdated by most peoples standards (i5 3570K and 7870XT gpu) but it does fine for the amount of pc gaming I do.

You can install classic shell which makes it look more like W7 as it brings the start menu back. I found the most annoying thing with W10 was the stupid Cortana thing. Not sure if it can be removed without messing around in the registry.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Associate
OP
It has an express & custom option in the install, if you click custom, the options are all the microsoft spyware crap & cortana, i unticked all the boxes & removed it from the task bar when i got to the desktop too.

I think ill just stick to windows 10 anyway, im sick of messing now. All this took me back to the bad old days, spending the whole day trying to get windows 98 working or probably the worst one was getting windows xp to work on those first 1ghz athlon based motherboards, so annoying!

Associate
Have you tried moving all your drivers to upper memory and setting qemm to 762K ?? in the Dos batch file
Are you loading windows from the original floppy disks? LOL

on a more serious note some people do "virtualize" their old win7 environment and run it as a virtual machine under w10.
I liked w7 and still have a win7 desktop (2500k ) but also got the new hardware/new os (win10) and I have grown to not dislike it (as much)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom