KeyForge

Associate
I'm surprised to see that there isn't already a KeyForge thread!

Fantasy Flight's new "unique" card game was released last week. Essentially, rather than the traditional CCG model, with KeyForge you buy a complete deck for under a tenner that is unique to you (there Is some 100 quadrillion permutations.)

I've been lucky enough to have had a couple of decks since GenCin. Since the launch last week Ive picked up another half dozen decks and am absolutely loving the game. Is anyone else playing? Has anyone had an interesting decks or organised play loot yet?

Soldato
I have no interest in the game, having seen it played. I am finding the deck names that keep emerging to be hilarious, though. So far the most famous are Titanflayer, the Farmer of Racism and The Emperor That Pays For Boys, but the hits keep coming.

Soldato
Looking to play this at my local club. Mechanics seem OK but different to others - the appeal is not having to continually rebuilt decks and pay for random card packs

No, you still pay for random card packs. They're just called "decks" and you use only one at a time. And you can't plan against the best deck in your metagame; the owner will go on winning every game you play until someone buys a deck that can beat his. The odds of getting a balanced rock/paper/scissors format within a small group are quite low - intentionally so, as it encourages people to buy more decks.

Soldato
No, you still pay for random card packs. They're just called "decks" and you use only one at a time. And you can't plan against the best deck in your metagame; the owner will go on winning every game you play until someone buys a deck that can beat his. The odds of getting a balanced rock/paper/scissors format within a small group are quite low - intentionally so, as it encourages people to buy more decks.

I'm well aware of what they are and how it works, but no, I'm not buying 30 £5 card packs in the hope of getting that one i need to build my deck. I get what I'm given in that deck (which yes is random) but then thats it. You cannot target cards or a deck as they are all random - like in HS im not buying 50 packs to dust them to craft a legendary i need. Im sure some packs will become valuable on ebay because they are stronger but thats different.

- GP

Associate
This auction sums up the direction a lot of people including myself could see the game would take. It's no better than <insert your favourite chasing rare cards CCG here>. I'll stick with my LCGs.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I quite enjoy it. Much more "pick up and play" than say Magic or L5R. Much less need to invest heavily and plays quite nicely. I'll stick to L5R for serious play but will pick up the occasional Keyforge deck for fun.

Associate
I picked up some decks. Was hoping to play some this evening during the last work board game evening but the lurgy has me :(.

Oh well, now I can have a looksie at some of them and maybe get them sleeved.

Did you guys opt for the starter set tokens or more DIY ones?

Associate
A lot of decks with the Mars, & Shadows factions ... and as I've not played who knows if I'll find that to be a good or bad thing :p

So3l16X.jpg
TIdkP5y.jpg

Edit: Has anyone registered on the Crucible, and would fancy a game?

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually there is built in control within the game rules that will slow down these strong decks, and further control functions coming to the keyforge app that will restrict strong decks based on power level. For the purpose of local meta control look in to chainbound leagues or just applying local house rule, 3 wins in a row = 4 chains, a further 3 wins = 4 more chains, these strong decks are manageable.

Also the whole principal of the game is around discovery and new decks, if someone wants to buy and keep playing 1 strong deck then fair enough, but they will soon be refused play in local meta's and also will never be able to play the deck in sealed OP events.

So much more fun then all previous CCG's which require deck building to stay with the curve.

Back
Top Bottom