• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

KFA2 GeForce RTX 3080 Ti HOF - Coil Whine

Associate
OP
I was looking at the Gigabyte but it seems plagued with problems. Now I'm looking at the hof but the thought of loud coil whine is not nice. My msi gtx1080ti has it but its not too bad, I can't hear it with headphones on.

So much money I hate the thought of it not being right.
General feel and look of the HOF was greatly superior than the gigabyte eagle I had. The HOF felt and looked premium, even the unboxing experience was great. Gigabyte was like a big standard brick. I've opened cereal boxes with more joy.

Just a shame that my HOF had this severe coil whine. I'm on holiday now but will be ordering another HOF when I'm back and hoping it's issue free. I'll update here if I remember.

Associate
General feel and look of the HOF was greatly superior than the gigabyte eagle I had. The HOF felt and looked premium, even the unboxing experience was great. Gigabyte was like a big standard brick. I've opened cereal boxes with more joy.

Just a shame that my HOF had this severe coil whine. I'm on holiday now but will be ordering another HOF when I'm back and hoping it's issue free. I'll update here if I remember.

Yeah I'd be interested in hearing what way it goes for you. Watching the stock of the Gigabyte eagle it seems to selling really well. Last week there was 9 in stock and it went out of stock and noes there's 8 in stock again.

Reading about the 2 year warranty kinda puts me off the hof card a bit. I've only ever had one graphics card fail on me and it was a factory overcooked evga years ago.

From what I've read on here the gigabyte card has a few issues like broken pci, faulty connectors. I can't really find any problems with the hof one other than the warranty and how the warranty works because they're based in China.

Soldato
Took delivery of the 3080 Ti HOF today and the coil whine is no worse than any other AIB card I've ever had from EVGA, Asus or MSI, It's very quiet and I can hardly hear any coilwhine.

I think this is just a case of pot luck really.

Last edited:
Associate
Took delivery of the 3080 Ti HOF today and the coil whine is no worse than any other AIB card I've ever had from EVGA, Asus or MSI.
I think this is just a case of pot luck really.

Nice! It seemingly has the same pcb setup as the 3090 teardown that's on YouTube. If that's the case it uses good components.

Associate
Only just noticed that there's three 8 pin power connectors on it. I have a seasonic 750w psu it has a double 8 pin connector for graphics hopefully there's another one in the box if I can find it.:mad:

Anyone know why there's 3 on this?

Soldato
Only just noticed that there's three 8 pin power connectors on it. I have a seasonic 750w psu it has a double 8 pin connector for graphics hopefully there's another one in the box if I can find it.:mad:

Anyone know why there's 3 on this?

Increased power draw, Generally HOF cards are meant for LN2.

Soldato
So you need to use all 3?

Yes, If you use 2 it will likely not work properly, It's also a good idea to not use daisy chained power cables but rather 3 x separate cables.

On a side note the HOF doesn't seem to work with MSI Afterburner, It requires KFA"'s own in house version called "Xtreme Tuner".

Last edited:
Associate
OP
UPDATE: I just got my 2nd HOF card today and the coil whine is just as bad as the first card. I'm really disappointed and not sure where to go from here especially as the prices of 3080 ti's has increased.

I might try a 3rd PSU but I doubt it'll change anything. Don't buy this GPU.

Associate
UPDATE: I just got my 2nd HOF card today and the coil whine is just as bad as the first card. I'm really disappointed and not sure where to go from here especially as the prices of 3080 ti's has increased.

Ah that sucks :(

I have had 2x 30-sieres cards, and both have whined. I hate it.

But, given how many of them seem to whine, I didnt bother RMA mine.

I had always hoped to bag a Suprim X, as I havent seen many/any reports of whine on those.

You can try undervolting, which has 'improved' the coil-whine from my card. However, its not eliminated it.

That aside... you can roll the dice again and RMA it another time?
If that fails again... get a refund or see if you can trade your card with somebody else? (Im sure some of the benchmarkers might be fine with Coil-whine if it means hitting higher clocks / scores?)

Man of Honour

What make and model psu are you using and what was the previous one you tried?

Associate

Id take neither at that price :p

But, if I was buying yea Id take the Suprim X. Mainly as I have seen reports of coil whine on the ASUS.
Next, I dont really like the RGB of the strix. And lastly... I already have an MSI board and need to use Dragon Centre for RGB anyway. So the Suprim X would fit into that easily.
For the Strix... Id need to run armoury crate I believe... which would be the 3rd RGB software.

And yes.... this situation is absurd. Choosing a GPU based on the RGB software :cry: But, they are probably the best 2x cards of this series, so cant go wrong.

Associate
Yes, If you use 2 it will likely not work properly, It's also a good idea to not use daisy chained power cables but rather 3 x separate cables.

On a side note the HOF doesn't seem to work with MSI Afterburner, It requires KFA"'s own in house version called "Xtreme Tuner".

I can confirm that KFA2 3080Ti HOF does work with MSI Afterburner. Have you enabled all the compatibility options in MSI Afterburner?

Soldato
I can confirm that KFA2 3080Ti HOF does work with MSI Afterburner. Have you enabled all the compatibility options in MSI Afterburner?

Yep, Clocks and power works in AB but for whatever reason fan controls do not.

EDIT

Custom fan curve doesn't work, Manually setting the fan does work, Very strange.

EDIT 2

Now it's working, Uninstalled AB and re-installed, Working fine now :)

Last edited:
Associate
I have decided not to bother with a new card atm. This situation is not gonna get any better so prices will probably go up instead of down. I'm in for a long wait no doubt.

Weighing it up there's only really Cyberpunk that I want to play at 4k. Its not worth it for one game.

I paid about £850 I think for my 1080ti. I can't believe you guys are willing to spend £1300 on a non ti card. That's actually pretty depressing. I couldn't bring myself to do that I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom