• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

KFA2 GeForce RTX 3080 Ti HOF - Coil Whine

Soldato
First PSU was a Corsair TX850 which is about 9 years old. I replaced it for a NZXT C850. Coil whine from the GPU was exactly the same with either PSU.
Having coil whine is really common. My strix had it for a while but after gaming on it for a few months the coil whine quietens down and now after a couple of years I can't hear it at all. Things need to "loosen" up a bit

Associate
Having coil whine is really common. My strix had it for a while but after gaming on it for a few months the coil whine quietens down and now after a couple of years I can't hear it at all. Things need to "loosen" up a bit

Youd be really lucky to avoid it. My son has a Asus 3080 and it doesn't have any coil whine at all. That's with a corsair psu. My card has always had it but with headphones or the sound up it fades away.

If I was playing a quiet game with not as much sound going on I can hear mine and it does annoy me a bit more.

Some cards have more of a squeak sound which would do your head in.

That's what I hate about this situation, not only are you paying far more but you can't even choose the card you actually want.

Last edited:
Associate
UPDATE: I just got my 2nd HOF card today and the coil whine is just as bad as the first card. I'm really disappointed and not sure where to go from here especially as the prices of 3080 ti's has increased.

I might try a 3rd PSU but I doubt it'll change anything. Don't buy this GPU.

I ended up getting the msi gaming x trio for £1500. It's the same model as my 1080ti which I was happy with apart from mild coil whine.

The card has no coil whine at all, except for static screens where the fps is 2000-3000 where is does a light squealing sound. I'm using a Corsair rm850x with it.

My performance seems a bit lower than other people's though from what I've seen.

Also I'd add the msi card is very well put together. I was really impressed by how sturdy it is. But the money keeps me awake at night :(

Associate
OP
In the end I've ended up with a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC which I managed to find for £970.

Very little coil whine which seems mostly to occur in game menus only, which is not an issue for me. Considering how the prices and stock availability seems to be getting ridiculous again, I'm quite happy I managed to find this card for the price.

Soldato
In the end I've ended up with a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC which I managed to find for £970.

Very little coil whine which seems mostly to occur in game menus only, which is not an issue for me. Considering how the prices and stock availability seems to be getting ridiculous again, I'm quite happy I managed to find this card for the price.

It really is pot luck with every card from every brand, Friend of mine got a Gigabyte Vision OC 3080 Ti and it had epic levels of coil whine, He then got a Strix 3080 Ti, Less coil whine but still a fair amount, He then got the HOF 3080 Ti and luckily landed in the same boat as me, Zero coil whine, It's completely random, It shouldn't be but sadly it is.

Back
Top Bottom