Killed my car in flood water

Permabanned
Ha Ha

I changed my single carb on my 1600 capri for a twin choke webber only forgot to clamp off the fuel return.

That also resulted in a fire.

Funny how petrol onto exhaust manifold makes fire:D

I had the fuel line come off twice and spray fuel under several bars of pressure all over the ****** thing.

No fires at all. I was quite amazed to be honest. Takes a while for it to all evaporate!

Soldato
No hirecar with policy?

Best scenario it all shoots out the plugwells and no lasting damage after a dryout. Worst it's bent and teh crank and cam assembly are a mess.

/shrugs

Low speed is in your favour I'd say. The fact it didn't turn over is evidence of water, not that anythings bent the starter doesn't have the torque to do that.

Let us know how it gets on!

If he's tried turning it over then surely water may have got past the piston rings into the sump.

I'd take the plugs out and with them out crank over the engine see (with a torch and after water has spurted out of the plug holes) if everthing is moving ok.

Then drain the oil and check for water then reassemble.

Oh and fingers crossed

Permabanned
If he's tried turning it over then surely water may have got past the piston rings into the sump.

Not unless the rings were ****** before hand. Rings are tight, and the gap staggered and normally filled with oil.

There could, the longer it sits, be some seepage but an oil change after this would be a good idea anyway, esp if it sits much longer.

I'd take the plugs out and with them out crank over the engine see (with a torch and after water has spurted out of the plug holes) if everthing is moving ok.

Then drain the oil and check for water then reassemble.

Oh and fingers crossed

I'd just drive it back if I got it started tbh.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;23237510 said:
Just get a train, a few £21 advance fares showing for Middlesbrough to Manchester.

I'm actually going to Ashbourne so i'd need to get to Stoke i think, then Bus it to ashbourne. That'll come to much more than £21, i could hire a car for not much more probably. I'll have to check my policy when i get home to see i i chose a hire car on my policy. I can't remember.

Soldato
Daughters "other half" suffered the same fate when round a corner and driving into a puddle akin to a lake. He had to be towed out by the local farmer (Bourne)

Facebook Chat with daughter

So.. How'd trying to start the van go ?
I suspect it's NOT water in the engine but water in the starter motor which is why it's just clicking when you turn the key

An engine that has ingested water and hydro-locked will do exactly this. The starter will attempt to turn the engine over, but will be stalled, and the massive current drain causes the voltage to drop enough that the solenoid disengages. Voltage immediately rises and solenoid re-engages. Repeat until battery dead or starter burned out.

Soldato
The thing is.. The water only came up to the wheel arches.

Now as a dumb 17 year old I regularly used to hammer it through flood waters along Whittlesey wash which was probably even deeper (In a Hillman Hunter) and never had an issue. (Apart from water coming through the rust holes and soaking the carpet)

I'm not a lucky person !!

I guess the only answer is for me to go over there and have a look see as her other half knows absolutely diddly squat about engines.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Regardless of if the engine has been hydrolocked or not, 4" of water in the footwells is going to have drowned any low lying electronics.

Soldato
Regardless of if the engine has been hydrolocked or not, 4" of water in the footwells is going to have drowned any low lying electronics.

and itll stink unless you have access to a proper hoover right now and can get your seats out lol

Soldato
I always thought hydro locking is terminal. However, my brother hydro locked his 306 Hdi last year at low speed. He took the glow plugs/injectors out at the roadside and turned the engine over. 4 huge water pistols later, a refit of the plugs/injectors and it started first time. 15k later and it's still running fine...even without a service :( I was pretty shocked.

Soldato
I always thought hydro locking is terminal. However, my brother hydro locked his 306 Hdi last year at low speed. He took the glow plugs/injectors out at the roadside and turned the engine over. 4 huge water pistols later, a refit of the plugs/injectors and it started first time. 15k later and it's still running fine...even without a service :( I was pretty shocked.

I've seen a diesel engine suffer from hydro-locking bad enought to bend a con-rod (unknown at the time) but it ran pretty well for another few thousand miles until the con rod let go!

Soldato
OP
Day gets worse lol.

Been recovered but they sent just a recovery driver, not a mechanic as they said. Got it on the flat loader and got home, came to get it off the flat bed and the electric parking brake wouldn't release so i've had to tow it off using skid plates and my partners van, the electrics are shagged, can't close the window, lights are flashing all over the place! I don't know what to do next, don't want to to ring insurance incase it does start after it's been flushed. I don't have courtesy car cover either after checking! I'm going one way to Ashbourne on Tuesday and don't know when i'll get back next so i have to make a decision tomorrow, along with all my packing etc. Couldn't have happened at a worse time :(.

Soldato
OP
I'm waiting for a mate to turn up with jump leads coz my battery is flat, what do i need to do with spark plugs, take them out then turn the car over? I'm no mechanic so i don't know what i'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom