Killed my car in flood water

Soldato
I've seen a diesel engine suffer from hydro-locking bad enought to bend a con-rod (unknown at the time) but it ran pretty well for another few thousand miles until the con rod let go!

To be fair I expected that to happen but 15k...
We ll see! Hdi engines are peanuts now anyway and he only paid 600 for the car. Hasn't let him down yet

Soldato
Years of driving my 306 gti6 has taught me to avoid all puddles no matter what. The gti6 has a rather low down air in take on the passenger-side making flooding the engine a high possibility.

Sounds bad Wez sorry

Caporegime
A mate of mine hydrolocked his Volvo FH12 HGV in Exeter last night, turning it over wrecked the engine! (truck starters are a lot stronger than car ones!)

Sorry Wez, your Audi is Vorsprung dork borked.

Soldato
OP
just for yr amusement, here's pics...

8217108185_16b12a83fd_c.jpg

8218194212_70ba8db59f_c.jpg

8217109635_725c2fd8f7_c.jpg

Soldato
What made you ever think that would be driveable!!??

Just call your insurance company, dont take this the wrong way but you obviously dont know what you are doing and will end up causing even more damage (if it's not already terminal, which I suspect it will be )

Soldato
Audi diesel? Dad wrote off his back in April 2008.

It got through the flood ok, then died on the other side. Started back up after a while and limped home sounding rough as **** and loads of black smoke. Electrics were fine, and no water in the cabin. Water wasn't that high... but higher than the ridiculously low air intake :rolleyes:. Asking around we found out that particular VAG platform was known for a low intake and loads died.

Engine was totalled, everything bent. Insurance company quoted the Audi list price for a brand new engine, Audi main dealer labour rates, loads of hours labour (Quattro drivetrain they said made it take way longer) and wrote the car off... without a single scratch on the paintwork.

Couple of mates were interested in buying it to fit a scrappers engine and do the labour themselves... but insurance company said it had already been sold to someone inside :rolleyes:. ASKMID says it's on the road and taxed today :p.

Soldato
Forget trying to save it Wez, even if the engine isn't buggered, three months down the line you'll be in undated with electrical gremlins where everything has started to corrode, do yourself a favour and let the insurance deal with it. It's a goner!

Man of Honour
Thats the end of that Audi A6, stop wasting your time trying to get it going as you honestly don't want to be dealing with that. Thats a staggering amount of water in the interior!

Back
Top Bottom