Killed my car in flood water

Soldato
So was driving to work and drove through a rather large puddle that turned outto be deeper than i expected, car died right in the middle and water came into the footwells, about 4" deep. Anyway been towed out and my car won't turn over.I've since stuck the jack at the front end to try and get water out of the exhaust etc. So ,will my car be damaged? Will it be working by tuesday as i have to drive to Manchester. I'm not a happy chappy to say the least. I have green flag coming to look between 2 and 3pm as i'm at work and he can tow me home when i finish work. Anyone experienced this before?

Man of Honour
I think the fact your car now refuses to start might well indicate that it is damaged, yes.

Will it be working by tuesday

Surely that depends on whether you can get it fixed by Tuesday? :confused:

I would imagine its fairly terminal if it was so deep you had water in the interior!

Soldato
If the cars petrol you can try pulling the plugs and cranking it to get some of what its inhaled back out.

Long story short though if you drove into water deep enough to be coming into the footwells it'll likely be an insurance job and new car

Soldato
Daughters "other half" suffered the same fate when round a corner and driving into a puddle akin to a lake. He had to be towed out by the local farmer (Bourne)

Facebook Chat with daughter

So.. How'd trying to start the van go ?
I suspect it's NOT water in the engine but water in the starter motor which is why it's just clicking when you turn the key

No it wouldn't go, the insurance company has taken it and looked at it. They say cost of repairs are £5,500
11:04

Whaaaaaat ? That's a write-off.
I bet I could make it go
A brand new engine doesn't even cost that

That's what they reckon. Going to try get repairs done privately and have insurance to pay for it

I still think it's just water in the electrics
did he try rocking the car backwards and forwards with it in gear to see if the engine turns over ?

Soldato
Many moons ago we towed a car that was hydrolocked ( we didn't realise at the time).

we did however manage to get all the water out..

And the oil

And a conrod

and bits of piston

If there is the slightest chance the car is hydrolocked then DON'T try to turn it over.

Water doesn't compress

Permabanned
What speed were you doing when you hit it? How did the engine die? Did you notice?

If by grace of god nothing has bent, then you could get it going pretty quick if there are no other gremlins. I don't like the idea of being at my desk, with the car sat outside engine dripping in water mind you.

Soldato
I recall driving around in a 1972 (L reg) 3000E Capri without an air filter on.. ( Yeah..dipsheet I know) only to have the car fart through the carb and set fire to the fuel line which (turned out to be) was severely perished.

I grasped hands of mud from the side of the road to try and pack round the flames only for a "helpful" passer by to pour a container of water down the carb whilst I was scratching mud up off the verge.

"I've put it out for you mate"

"er....Cheers ???"

Had to be towed home and after cleaning all the crap off, replacing the fuel line, taking the spark plugs out and turning over an few times....

BroooooooM

Ahaaaaar (quick.. replace the frikkin air filter !!)

Soldato
OP
Iwas driving at low speed, ~ 5mph or less in 2nd gear and it just cut out. It does sound like it's hydrolocked. Could be disastrous, may not have caused any damage and just needs a flush. Only time will tell, well, a couple ofhours. I am fully comp thankfully. Tbh, i'm more concerned about how i'm getting to work on tuesday atm. I'll worry about my car later. What's the best place to hire a car where i can pick it up in Teesside and drop it off near manc where i'm going?

Permabanned
Iwas driving at low speed, ~ 5mph or less in 2nd gear and it just cut out. It does sound like it's hydrolocked. Could be disastrous, may not have caused any damage and just needs a flush. Only time will tell, well, a couple ofhours. I am fully comp thankfully. Tbh, i'm more concerned about how i'm getting to work on tuesday atm. I'll worry about my car later. What's the best place to hire a car where i can pick it up in Teesside and drop it off near manc where i'm going?

No hirecar with policy?

Best scenario it all shoots out the plugwells and no lasting damage after a dryout. Worst it's bent and teh crank and cam assembly are a mess.

/shrugs

Low speed is in your favour I'd say. The fact it didn't turn over is evidence of water, not that anythings bent the starter doesn't have the torque to do that.

Let us know how it gets on!

Soldato
I recall driving around in a 1972 (L reg) 3000E Capri without an air filter on.. ( Yeah..dipsheet I know) only to have the car fart through the carb and set fire to the fuel line which (turned out to be) was severely perished.

I grasped hands of mud from the side of the road to try and pack round the flames only for a "helpful" passer by to pour a container of water down the carb whilst I was scratching mud up off the verge.

"I've put it out for you mate"

"er....Cheers ???"

Had to be towed home and after cleaning all the crap off, replacing the fuel line, taking the spark plugs out and turning over an few times....

BroooooooM

Ahaaaaar (quick.. replace the frikkin air filter !!)

Ha Ha

I changed my single carb on my 1600 capri for a twin choke webber only forgot to clamp off the fuel return.

That also resulted in a fire.

Funny how petrol onto exhaust manifold makes fire:D

Soldato

Burnt Tree down Portrack Lane.

01642 671234

Try and get a courtesy car though if you're going through insurance?

Back
Top Bottom