Killers' life terms 'breached their human rights'

Associate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23230419

What the hell?!?!

The EU Court of Human rights have now deemed that whole life sentences are a breach of human rights for prisoners and there has to be a possibility of release and a review of the sentence carried out so that the convicted have a 'ray of hope' or some such...

Jeremy Bamber is one of these convicted criminals which are on a whole life tariffs. He killed 5 people in the White House Farm murders (link)

Why does this guy even think that he should have a hope of being released after what he has done??

Human rights gone mad again? I think so...what does GD think?

Should convicted murders/ criminals have the right to a 'hope' of release when they are serving whole life sentences and been told that they will live out their days in prison?

Soldato
Why does this guy even think that he should have a hope of being released after what he has done??

Because a life term without the possibility of parole precludes any notion of rehabilitation.

This isn't saying they can't be locked up for their entire lives, it just means they need periodic assessment to see if rehabilitation has worked and they are safe to release into society again.

I don't see the problem?

Soldato
I think that they should be thankful that we live in a civilised enough country (just about) that he's been allowed to continue his life, and perhaps he should have considered the consequences of his actions before murdering his family.

I'm not convinced by whole life tariffs, however, as the point of prison is not vengeance, it's rehabilitation. I assume this is why there is an issue with his human rights being at stake. They have precluded any opportunity he has to rehabilitate himself, after all, what's the point if you've no chance of ever being released.

Associate
OP
Because a life term without the possibility of parole precludes any notion of rehabilitation.

This isn't saying they can't be locked up for their entire lives, it just means they need periodic assessment to see if rehabilitation has worked and they are safe to release into society again.

I don't see the problem?

But he will never need rehabilitation cause he will never be released. According to his wiki page:

He was sentenced to five life terms, and was told by the Home Secretary in 1994 that he would never be released

link

This guy doesn't apply for rehab, he will die in prison, end of

Caporegime
They threw away their human rights when they intentionally took another persons life in my opinion.

We should introduce human rights AND responsibilities. Don't uphold your human responsibilities (i.e. kill and/or rape people)? Then you don't get your human rights.

Soldato
But he will never need rehabilitation cause he will never be released. According to his wiki page:

link

This guy doesn't apply for rehab, he will die in prison, end of

But that is the part that is under question, that he was told he would not be released under any circumstances, ie: precluding any hope of rehabilitation, no?

Soldato
Bring back hard labor for prisoners. Whatever the sentence. Make it a reality that prison means hardships not TV and luxury!

Human rights has gone beyond!

How can a multiple murderer be rehabilitated for goodness sake!!

Caporegime
Bring back hard labor for prisoners. Whatever the sentence. Make it a reality that prison means hardships not TV and luxury!

Human rights has gone beyond!

Indeed. I still don't see why prisoners are not used to manufacture useful things and help our economy? Or get them to fix the roads, build stuff e.t.c.

Soldato
They threw away their human rights when they intentionally took another persons life in my opinion.

We should introduce human rights AND responsibilities. Don't uphold your human responsibilities (i.e. kill and/or rape people)? Then you don't get your human rights.

Oh come off it, this is just ridiculous. You do not lose your humanity ever. No one can ever take it away from you. It's perfectly human to commit crimes, it's just not morally acceptable and appeals to a minority of people. To suggest such a thing is just dense.

Furthermore, you've no idea what his mental state was at the time of the murders. The fact that he blames it on his sister, however, is odd.

Soldato

I take it you have never been locked up in a high security prison then?

Can you cite any evidence that says they can't?

Jono8 said:
Indeed. I still don't see why prisoners are not used to manufacture useful things and help our economy? Or get them to fix the roads, build stuff e.t.c.

What, putting more people out of work that currently 'build stuff' already? :p

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I think he should rot in prison for the rest of his life. In-fact Prison is too good for him, we should send people like this to their own personal hell.

How could he kill those two young boys.

Caporegime
Oh come off it, this is just ridiculous. You do not lose your humanity ever. No one can ever take it away from you. It's perfectly human to commit crimes, it's just not morally acceptable and appeals to a minority of people. To suggest such a thing is just dense.

Furthermore, you've no idea what his mental state was at the time of the murders. The fact that he blames it on his sister, however, is odd.

So you agree with what is being proposed and agree with the European Court of Human rights in that whole life tariffs are a breach of human rights?

AJK

AJK

Associate

Totally agree with this.

Permabanned
I'm not sure about this, on the one hand the idea that rehabilitation is inherent in the penal system is something I support, yet I also think the State Justice system should have the option to impose full-life sentences in certain circumstances.

Each case really needs to made on an individual basis rather than having blanket rules imposed by the ECHR.

Back
Top Bottom