1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Killing Hope and Deterring Democracy

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by @if ®afiq, 7 Jun 2006.

1. Bar

Mobster

I know, I'm on a smilie diet - but you got the jist so alls good.

2. i know nothing

Mobster

Well it has to doesn't it? If it doesn't then what will happen to all of those people who argued that it was all about oil? They can't exactly go claiming it was all about the oil getting to the market because the oil output was higher before the war than it is now.;)

But what if they don't benefit?:eek: ;)

3. anarchist

PermaBanned

4. anarchist

PermaBanned

Last edited: 10 Jul 2007
  5. @if ®afiq

Soldato

There is nothing really suprising about that. How many time has the US killed people, only for them to reappear again?

6. anarchist

PermaBanned

7. Shackley

Banned

US diplomacy is going completely down the pan; they are in grave danger of having Musharraf booted out of office (and probably executed by exiled Benazir Bhutto), Pakistan becoming another fundamentalist Islamic state and Afghanistan cosying up to Iran.

If only they had concentrated on Afghanistan and stopped their blind support of Israel, they might actually have done some good. However, Bush and his Military Industrial sponsored, Christian Fundamentalist chums simply couldn't resist the temptation to steal Iraq's oil and now they are on their way to starting another cold war.

8. anarchist

PermaBanned

Good MediaLens recently about how biased the media is, as always, with regard to Iraq coverage... spending more time discussing the alleged (but not actual) difference in the "special relationship" between Brown and Bush, than the huge humanitarian catastrophe going on in Iraq...

www.medialens.org/alerts/07/070802_bush_brown_summit.php

9. @if ®afiq

Soldato

If Brown's speech at the recent summit was anything to go by, Iraq doesn't even register as a catastrophe, to paraphrase: "Sudan is the biggest humanitarian issue of the centuary" - in a nutsehll, the crimes we commit and the suffereing that we cause is never mentioned, let alone thought about.

10. anarchist

PermaBanned

Also from MediaLens...

11. Shackley

Banned

Seems to remind me of the British Government response to the Gurkhas who went to court fighting for the right of the Nepalese veterans to settle in Britain.

Put your life at risk working for the invaders and then they throw you to the wolves - that'll learn 'em!

12. i know nothing

Mobster

There's a massive difference between an enlisted man and these guys. They should receive protection though.

13. stockhausen

Capodecina

President Pervez Musharraf took over in a military coup in 1999, has allowed corruption to flourish and in 2007 suspended the constitution and decided that the legislative process was incompatible with his dictatorship.

It's going to be interesting to to see how exactly America's declared enthusiasm for "democracy" will cope with this little setback ;)

14. B&W

Soldato

He's done more for Pakistan then the other lot before him, you think he was bad?

Just watch what those criminals zardari and sharif will do. Pakistan is on a downhill slope now, the only thing that will save it will be another military coupe, mark my works.

15. stockhausen

Capodecina

I have no reason to believe that those that follow Musharraf will be any less corrupt than he is - however, they do appear to have been democratically elected.

By the same token, I expect that the Americans will do everything they can to engineer another military coup, imposing a new undemocratic dictator more to their liking ;)

16. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Just gotta hope they don;t do somthing stupid with regards to thier nuclear arsenal, or Inda.

17. B&W

Soldato

Corrupt? lol, you dont know how Pakistan works, its based on corruption. To get past a police checkpoint without harassment you have to give them a 100 rupees or so.

He was far less corrupt then many and actually did try to make pakistan better then before, he was a military man and as such he wasnt great at diplomacy or the diplomatic methods.

At the same time he was free of the problem politicians suffer which is there constant bickering, ignoring ground realities and failure to act decisevely.

Pakistan is facing terrorism from its own citizens and somtimes foreign countries aid this to there own advantage. Add to this a hard war in the NWFP, unfriendly countries such as India and Afghanistan on its borders, nuclear weapons capability then you should understand that pakistan needed a military dictator.

By your last sentence are you inferring that America engineered the coup of 1999?

18. scorza

Caporegime

Huh? The USA has repeatedly called for democracy to be re-established in Pakistan. If anything, Al-Queda is to blame for the extended length of Musharraf's reign, since they effectively forced the US to deal with Musharraf as an ally. Prior to that the US was quite adamant that elections should be held in Pakistan ASAP, and were again a few years later.

19. stockhausen

Capodecina

Yes, there is much corruption in Pakistan - I wasn't aware that Musharraf was doing so much as you suggest to stop it. Perhaps you could enlighten me on how he was going about this?

One of the joys of dictatorship - you don't have to listen to anyone.

I don't think so; so far as I am aware, India for instance doesn't have a dictator?

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. For all I know, the CIA were asleep on the job and knew nothing about it.

Certainly, the Americans have never been reluctant to support coups de etat in South America or the Middle East or to oppose democracy where it suits them - why not in Pakistan?

20. B&W

Soldato

It takes time but he did have anti corruption program going and two people, benazir and sharif were both indited in it. Thats just the famous people, many more must have been indited too.

http://www.pak-times.com/2007/08/30/musharraf-agrees-to-drop-corruption-cases-against-benazir/

He had to drop it though due to stupid politics, and look how that turned out..

Yes its true and it is what is needed when a country is in crisis.

lol, your trying to compare indias situation to pakistan? India is 10 times bigger, and due to its size the problems that face it are nowhere near as bad as those that face pakistan.

India's government is maturing quite well too, unlike that of pakistans which is quite infantile and full of corruption.

What kind of logic is that, because america supported a coupe in south america it means they supported the 1 in pakistan? Were you hiding in a cave when musharraf was told off by the yanks and they had sanctions placed on em? where have you been all years..

The coup was welcomed in pakistan, sharif is a pillock and hopefully one day he will get whats coming to him.

You just watch, Pakistan is on a downshill slide and in the next few years you'll see just how "good" sharif and zardari were for Pakistan.

People yell about democracy thinking its the cure for all evil, so naive and childish. Democracy is great but it is only suitable in countries that have educated populaces not uneducated countries like Pakistan.