Kilometres and kg

Soldato
Is anyone sick of people no longer using units such as rods, chains, barleycorns, cubits, etc?
I work on the railways and around assets over 100 years old, so we use a lot of old measures routinely.

I'm pretty sure that in school we only learned metric. I don't recall ever being taught inches/feet etc.. and I have no idea how much in metric an ounce or a stone might be, or a fluid ounce in ml.
Did you imperial lot go to school in the 60s or something?
We only got taught metric, but learning imperial measures later on revealed how they are are often more handy and sometimes more precise. Also, a number of imperial units are based on body measurements, so it's easier to pace out something in feet or use your thumb to get inches than it is to estimate centimetres and metres.

Associate
I am looking forward to measuring my graphic card in rods and the volume of my computer case in hogsheads.

Commissario
I enjoy measuring my speed in furlongs/fortnight.

Everyone knows that 30mph is 80640 furlongs/fortnight, 50mph is 134400 furlongs/fortnight and 70mph is 188160 furlongs/fortnight, right?

Associate
Height and weight of people, and road speed, are probably the ones that I default to imperial for. Anything else I'm happier with metric. I never got my head around using Fahrenheit while I lived in the US.

Soldato
Height and weight of people, and road speed, are probably the ones that I default to imperial for. Anything else I'm happier with metric. I never got my head around using Fahrenheit while I lived in the US.

Fahrenheit is just wierd the parents still use that they've a vague idea of celsius but I don't know anything else, nor do I want to. Amercans talking about their temperatures online results in some banter as no-one else can relate to them naturally they think everyone understands fahrenheit because... they're americans

Actually that chart earlier is interesting Canada is metric as is Australia and NZ wouldn't have guessed that, with only the US, Liberia and... former Burma the holdouts

Last edited:
Permabanned
I am still fully Imperial, as are my lathe and Bridgeport universal milling machine, surface grinder and other machinery :) I can "feel" material in thousandths of an inch, sanity check some desired size against base material in inches or fractions of an inch, and know that over 80 Fahrenheit is a hot day :)

Man of Honour
Surely driving on the right isn't that big of a deal? lol

Google September 3rd 1967 in Stockholm and see for yourself, they switched at 5 a.m. that day.
I found driving on the right a walk in the park in the seventies when I was driving 44 tonners around Europe.
BUT, I had a LHD Mercedes artic and everyone else was driving on the right as well, made it easy to work out where you should be, can you imagine the mayhem at Hyde Park Corner if we switched next year after twelve months of changing road signs and government TV advisories?

Soldato
Kilograms for weight.
Miles for biking distances.
Kilometres for running distances.

Weird, but it works.

This is me but also I work in mm when drawing/designing. Imperial wise wise I wouldn't know what lb, ounce, inch or foot even is (although I do know 1 inch is 25.4mm). I could quite easily drop mile's as well to be honest, it wouldn't be a major issue.

Soldato
ev's suffering same issue W/mile, miles/Kw

Another example where brexits not done, throwing out those EU/Napoleon imposters.
- buying petrol in gallons would be depressing prospect though (russia seems to be 0.6€/l)
I actually measure my ev in mpg just to be annoying:cry:.

Back
Top Bottom