Kitchen knives - is mine broken (pictures included)?

Pho

Pho

Soldato
We've had this knife for around a year. We bought another Global knife at the same time and that's perfectly fine.

Practically every time they are used they're washed, dried and put back in the knife block straight away so I wouldn't have thought it's because it's been left soaking.

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

I'm fairly sure I remember reading that rust wasn't covered with Global's guarantee unfortunately.

Man of Honour
they are stainless steel. Probably just staining. will it wash/bleech off.

The top bit looks so much like staining and not rust, even got some staining at the base of the blade by the handle. like teaspoons used for tea.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are there any health risks with using kitchenware that is rusty? We have a wok that tends to form a small amount of surface rust occasionally.

If that was my knife then i would remove the rust using some wet & dry or wire wool then not store it in the block. Sounds like it could be slightly damp in there and its causing the steel to rust. SS will still rust quite easily if its in constant contact with moisture.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
OP
Well, the first thing I notice is that it says it's mede from stainless steel - it shouldn't rust like that at all.

Good point, though their website seems to claim otherwise:

www.globalknives.uk.com/faq said:
Can stainless steel rust?

Yes, any stainless steel product can in some circumstances rust but it is much more resistant to corrosion than ordinary carbon or alloy steels. It is 'stain-less' not 'stain-impossible'.

the wife said she had some knifes go like this, when they were in the dishwasher at her mums.

They've not been in a dishwasher, only washed with washing up liquid and a sponge - I made sure to tell no one to put them in there when we got them :D.

Hmmm...are you sure it's a genuine Global?

I obviously can't be 100% sure but comparing them to the photos on the Global website they look fine. Both it and the other knife are very sharp anyway.

If that was my knife then i would remove the rust using some wet & dry or wire wool then not store it in the block. Sounds like it could be slightly damp in there and its causing the steel to rust. SS will still rust quite easily if its in constant contact with moisture.

We have about 15 knives in the block (two Globals, the rest normal cheap ones) and they all seem fine - but I never thought it might be the block.

I've tried 'erasing' it, that didn't seem to do much, nor does washing it. When I run my finger over it it's a fairly rough surface unlike the rest of the knife.

Don
Good point, though their website seems to claim otherwise:
Stainless steel can rust, but not under normal conditions like this. It sounds like a disclaimer to fob people off because they've been using poor quality materials, probably made in China where material traceability is somewhat lax.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
OP
Glad to hear they're not fake. I seem to remember that site was much cheaper than the competition at the time, but still expensive enough to not look dodgy. :)

Stainless steel can rust, but not under normal conditions like this. It sounds like a disclaimer to fob people off because they've been using poor quality materials, probably made in China where material traceability is somewhat lax.

All their marketing obviously claims they use good quality materials but who knows. The knife is still very sharp and is a great knife so I'm reasonably confident it's half decent - it just looks a bit odd :o.

:eek: Ive just seen how much a set of these knives cost.

If you only buy a knife or two and a sharpener it's not too expensive.. it's unlikely you'll need a whole set anyway. :).

Back
Top Bottom