Poll: Knives & Forks, left hand vs right hand

How do you hold your knife and fork?

• Total voters
Soldato
Why has no one brought up the american style of using knives and forks.

The one where you carve up your food with knife and fork. Then put down the knife. Then shovel away with the fork.

:eek::confused:

Associate
Too many variables already! I shall try to address them all.

I'm left handed. Fork in left hand. Knife in left hand when prepping food. When I was active as a youngster, racket sports with right hand (could switch to left hand when needed) and kicked a ball with my left foot. All toileting related activities with my left hand. I sometimes have to stab people at work, that's done with my left hand.

The Mrs is right handed. She has her fork in her right hand. Freek :D

Soldato
Your knife goes in the dominant hand, this is because you'll have more control and it's safer.

If you're not using a knife, the fork/spoon would be in the right hand.

Soldato
Im right handed and use the knife in my left hand.

this is because you'll have more control and it's safer.

Its a wonder I dont stab myself each dinnertime.

Fork in left, knife in right. Mainly because cutting food requires strength and my right hand is stronger.

Learn to cook so your food doesnt require any strength to cut, and you must be really weak if you cant cut your food with your left hand :eek:

Soldato
My old man is left handed and footed for everything, except he was bullied into eating right handed as a child by his parents and school. The only thing he does "naturally" right handed is any racquet sport, bizarrely.

I inherited some of that oddness, I'm right handed but left footed.

Soldato
I'm not ambidextrous for anything else but with a knife and fork I can use them either way without even thinking about it. Sometimes I can end up switching part way through a meal - it depends what I'm eating.

Soldato
Left-handed, mildly ambidexterous. The fork is in the left hand and the knife in the right. More generally, the utensil holding the food is in the left hand. Interestingly, I play some croquet shots left-handed but my main grip is right-handed.

Soldato
Im right handed and use the knife in my left hand.

Its a wonder I dont stab myself each dinnertime.

I believe it's from times when knives where actually sharp and pointy, not the knives we have today, but that's the reasoning behind it.

Also, using them in the wrong hands was considered bad manners.

Associate
I just don't get doing it the right way, I mean you have to swap which hand goes to your mouth when you use a spoon, that just seems really odd to me. Would rather use my fork in the Right.

Soldato
This thread fascinates me. My crap X-Man power super-power is spotting left-handed people.

In carpentry I'm quite ambidextrous for planing, filing, sanding or feeding machinery. But one thing I can't master is sawing as it has placement and motion in 3 axes. Hard to coordinate them all at once plus keep the sawing straight.

I apply the same logic to eating - I'm sawing food with the knife, fork hand is more flexible. So it's right handed, right hand knife, and if just fork/spoon, right hand. TBF I went to school late and was mocked for using the wrong hands and switched to the conventional way. Table manners generally make me nervous.

Back to the other things... I spot lefties because I'm a guitar tech and left-handed guitar players look WEIRD. So I usually see lefties a mile off due to little clues like writing on the back of the right hand. Pointless :p

I do think the internet generation of men has a few more... Switch-handers... due to the nature of right hand being busy with mouse... Brief research confirms it.

Associate
I'm right handed and use fork in right hand , knife in left. I guess it was just the natural way when I was growing up and never seen the need to change due to social pressures and being called odd. Strange but my grip strength is greater in my left hand even though im RH and do all my dexterous stuff right handed (cutting ,throwing , writing and playing racquet sports etc)

When goalkeeping/wicketkeeping in my younger days I could always dive well to my left and catch really well that way but going to my right was painfully unnatural

I'm left handed. Fork in left hand.

The Mrs is right handed. She has her fork in her right hand. Freek :D

By your logic you're a freak too :p

Man of Honour
It doesn't matter really do what feels most comfortable.

I like to cut with my left hand and fork with the right because that's what feels natural rather than what people have been telling each other is !"orrect" just because of a table formality.

Soldato
Right handed, fork in the right hand - always get comments on how I hold a knife and fork :confused: But then again, I hold a pen/pencil like a nutter too apparently :D

It can't be any stranger than the way left handed people write on account of writing being "right handed" no matter what hand you want to use. Hence them often writing at 90 degrees to avoid the left hand smudging over freshly written text.

Soldato
I'm right handed, use the fork in my right hand. I'd prefer not to stick the fork in my lip or gum therefore do it this way whereas I can't injure the plate with an uncoordinated knife.

Back
Top Bottom