1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knock Knock - Trick or Treat! What do you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noizeuk, Oct 28, 2019.

1. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

FTFY...

2. Scort

Mobster

:D :D :D Brilliant :D

Thankfully, it's only little kids around our way - so I don't mind dishing out a few sweets when they come knocking - though it is annoying as the dogs go mental each time. Left a box out one year with a 'help yourself' note; but someone decided to take almost all of the contents in no time at all - hope they got diabetes for that.

I wanted to put my Scream costume on one year, but the wife binned it, after I have spooked her a few too many times during the year.

3. Liquidfox

Mobster

Costco do a 5kg one for about £12 ;)

We always put decorations out and give the kids sweets. I used to go as a kid and enjoy it, so why do any different now?

4. Wegason

Gangster

Round these parts you need to display a pumpkin to signify that you are taking part in Trick or Treat, or so my wife tells me. We always have sweets on hand, don't get too many round.

The next time it falls on a day I am not working and therefore home I'd like to dress up as the Grim Reaper and open the door from a dark house with a smoke machine behind me. Wife has vetoed that idea though.

5. uncle_rufus

Mobster

The Limited Edition Skittles this year are super spicy... just saying

6. kitfit1

Mobster

This thread has just reminded me...................................i really do need to order some more pepper spray ;)

7. Mr Joshua

Mobster

Interesting post, we usually have a tub of sweets for the kids, it's harmless fun for them and many of the costumes are quite creative!

8. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Yep, that's how we always see it too, being British and all... but there's a lot of lonely, miserable, anti-community spoilsport grumpy ******* on this forum.
    Presumably they all like to go through town in December, telling every kid queueing outside the Santa's Grottoes that Father Christmas isn't real, too?

9. .Lethal

Soldato

This, you're only young once.

After reading the first page of this thread, also this.

10. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

We always go out for a meal or cinema or something on Halloween. Can't be doing with it. One of my mates calls it junior terrorism :p

And don't get me started on all the junk the supermarkets sell only to end up in landfill a few days later.

11. Eurofighter

Wise Guy

Give them sweets. Im not a moody bore.

12. HoneyBadger

Mobster

Ignore it and let the dogs kick off!

I was advised a couple of years ago that it's an unwritten rule that if you have a pumpkin outside of your house, then that means "I'm open to being knocked" whereas if you don't, the "Do one" is implied.

13. jon86

Mobster

It's usually a great evening to go out for a meal, etc. Much less traffic and less people out and about. :D:p

14. Dan_P

Gangster

We embrace it fully - lots of decorations and friends come over to scare the kids (and parents).

Multiple smoke machines, strobes and friends running around with chainsaws and axes - all good fun.

15. something daft already!!

Mobster

This is yet another americanism we can do without. Next we will be celebrating American independence.

16. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

How is it American?

17. panthro

Capodecina

Unpopular opinion in this thread but I think it's pathetic how grown adults can be so scared by little children getting dressed up and knocking on their doors that they have to sit in their house in the dark not answering the door.

18. something daft already!!

Mobster

Halloween is a big old holiday over there. Here, we don't really care. Trick or treat did not happen in this country until the early 80's when it was widely shown in ET. This is pretty much when it came over here. We use to do a "Penny for the Guy" for fireworks night before this.

19. Clearcut

Wise Guy

20. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Like most things celebrated by Americans, we actually invented it... centuries ago, in this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-treating
    It's as American as Apple Pie... for which we have recipes dating to the 1300s. :p

Wanna add indignant to the list, too? :p
    It's still not American, though...

Being me ain't so bad... You occasionally get accused of disingenuity when someone twists your posts to try and look clever, but aside from that it's pretty good, yeah...