Kobo vs Kindle (vs, possibly, Sony?)

Associate
I'm after an e-ink e-reader so I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I have a rather specific query before I can decide which brand to go for:

I intend to use it to read PDFs downloaded from Google Books, most scans of old 19th century books which are scanned not as text but as images. Now, I know that all 3 can display PDFs, though I'm not sure how they'd deal with pure image PDFs:
1. Can you zoom in and out even though there's no text? (On the Kobo it seemed like the only zoom options were font size, which wouldn't be of any use here)
2. Can you pan and scroll around the page (which will be necessary since there won't be any text wrapping, since the pages are scanned as images rather than text) quickly and easily? Can you do it just by dragging around the screen (for those models that have touchscreens), or do I have to fiddle around with cursor arrows? Is the refresh rate too slow to make panning and scrolling around a page comfortable?
3. Can you display things in landscape as well as portrait (so that I'd be able to read a whole line without needing to pan if I zoomed in too close).

I went into a certain high street bookstore (which I think might be a competitor) and tried fiddling with the Kobos they had on display, but all the books they had loaded onto them were normal text ebooks and of course they wouldn't let me load a PDF of my own to try it out.

If you have an e-reader from any of the 3 brands I mentioned above please test it out and let me know how it works! The kind of book I'd be reading on it is stuff like this: http://books.google.co.uk/books?pri...ien&ei=vpirUNOcA-fZ0QXj2YGIDA&id=2VhQAAAAcAAJ
There's a download PDF link on the top right, so if you could load it onto your ereaders and try a bit of zooming in and out and scrolling around I'd really appreciate it!

Associate
Have a look at the Nook simple touch, its rather excellent in my experience.

Plus points its a touch screen , has micro SD for adding upto 32GB of storage, 2 Month Battery life and use's e-ink like the kindle etc.

I have one was so impressed I bought the Wife one too.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-barnes-noble/1102344735

£79 quid in most UK stores

~(not sure if it can do some of the other things your after though as I haven't tried them)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you've got 5' to spare could you possibly download that Google books PDF I linked to and try it out? I'd really appreciate it! It's gonna be like 90% of what I'll be using them for (I do occasionally buy ebooks as well but end up reading them on my phone on buses and planes) so simple things like pinch to zoom and drag to scroll that on tablets we take as granted really matter to me.

Soldato
It was a pretty dire experience on both devices, the kindle being slightly better due to allowing three zoom positions. Navigating was a slow affair sometimes taking up to 5 seconds to do anything, by which time you've tapped the screen twice, for it to jump forward 3 pages.

The kindle is the new one and the Sony Reader is the PRS-505.

Associate
OP
Ouch, that doesn't sound encouraging, I may need to invest in a cheap tablet instead, even though I really would've preferred an e-ink screen as it's much more comfortable to read on! :(
Thanks for trying it though dude!

Soldato
Yeah scrolling around isn't quick or easy on the smaller screen Kindles - you could pick up a Kindle DX for 200 quid or so on Amazon.com which would be the best way if you were dead-set on an e-ink screen.

Otherwise yeah you're probably looking at a tablet or something.

Soldato
The Kobo is IMHO the better reader, if you can live with a slightly buggy firmware and an incessant policy of changing the homescreen design every release.

IIRC PDFs will zoom, but there are rendering issues with some files, and it's slow. (Mathematical symbols are a problem I recall, not sure if this has been solved now)

-Leezer-

Associate
OP
I've actually managed to borrow someone's Kobo and gave it a go with one of my books. Zooming in and out takes an age to redraw, but scrolling and panning is remarkably smooth and you do it as you would on any other touchscreen, just by dragging a finger! It's pretty much as good as I was hoping it would be! Haven't been able to try out a Kindle but no, I wouldn't spend £200 on an e-reader.

The only thing that's stopped me from immediately getting one is that the Kindle Fires are on sale for £100 this weekend, and I'm kinda thinking, sure, an LCD wouldn't be nearly as comfortable for long stints of reading, but it would be even easier to zoom in and out and pan around a document, plus I can use it to browse the web in the toilet... :p

Back
Top Bottom