Korma - Cumin overpowering

Soldato
2 x teenagers, not keen on spicy food and so wifey has been making this Korma

OQwAfpR.jpg

However, i have had Kormas in the past and wifeys version does not taste like a Korma! I THINK it's the Cumin as every bite of the chicken or dunk in the sauce is so overpowering.

She says she has reduced from 1 x tablespoon to 1 x teaspoon, but still the same.

Any comments or any better recepies? Or maybe it's just MY taste buds have changed!

Last edited:
Caporegime
You are used to a BIR korma, which is a lot different from your general home cookbook korma. I would strongly advise you to treat your wife to this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Curry-Bible-Pat-Chapman/dp/184358087X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=32N0LI2HGLU34&keywords=the+new+curry+bible&qid=1644761442&sprefix=the+new+curry+bible,aps,66&sr=8-1

It’s all restaurant curries like korma, madras, Bhuna, tikka masala etc. it’s fantastic, the chicken tikka is to die for

It shows how to make spice mixes and gravies that can be used as bases for different types of curry, just like a restaurant does.

Soldato
OP
You are used to a BIR korma, which is a lot different from your general home cookbook korma. I would strongly advise you to treat your wife to this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Curry-Bible-Pat-Chapman/dp/184358087X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=32N0LI2HGLU34&keywords=the+new+curry+bible&qid=1644761442&sprefix=the+new+curry+bible,aps,66&sr=8-1

It’s all restaurant curries like korma, madras, Bhuna, tikka masala etc. it’s fantastic, the chicken tikka is to die for

It shows how to make spice mixes and gravies that can be used as bases for different types of curry, just like a restaurant does.

Very useful - ty. Ordered the book :)

Soldato

Added to wish list thank you!

Soldato
I can highly recommend Maunika Gowardhan's Indian Kitchen book. Happily admit I've never been to India but the recipes taste way different to the usual curry house affair, taste super "authentic" to me (cringe, I know) and are not that hard either.

Associate
We got a small bag of cumin from holiday in Iran few years ago (before things really kicked off with folks being locked up willy-nilly). Damn the misses kept putting it in everything :cry:, it's really strong, the smallest pinch in say mashed potatoe would be overpowering so I'd reduce the recommended quantity by half for any cookbook imo.

Back
Top Bottom