Kraken X62 noisy

Associate
Hi all,

I keep having an issue with my Kraken X62. Basically it makes a really intrusive clicking noise. After much Googling, it seems that the issue should go away if the CPU fan is set to 100% in the BIOS. I did this, but the noise still happens. I think it's partly related to the CAM software - I have updated it twice and it caused me huge issues both times.

I have managed to eliminate the clicking by running a custom profile that runs the CPU fan slightly faster, but I like the way my PC is on Silent. It used to work!

Soldato
When you say CPU fan, do you mean the fan header with that label and its speed setting? I'm guessing it's implied that the pump is running off that header. The fact you eliminated the noise with CPU fan settings backs that up.

In which case, the issue sounds like there are some pump speeds which make the noise. Is it a specific speed maybe? In that case you could arrange your speed curve to jump straight from a quieter speed to the faster one, and bypass the speed that makes the clicking noise.

Several AIOs recommend running the pump at full speed all the time, is that an option for you?

Soldato
The Fan connection is only 2 wires which should be tacho / gnd only, I've got my CPU fan set to 'off' in my BIOS.. I can't imagine the X62 making any noise due to the CPU Fan setting unless the motherboard is coupling the PWM pin of the fan (which isn't connected to the X62) to cause some interference, so I guess setting the CPU fan to 100% or OFF would minimise such a thing.

(The way the X62 is powered should be via the Sata cable, the USB connection then allows the CAM software to fully control the X62 pump).

The easiest way to check the X62 is to use CAM,
Since you can set FAN / PUMP profiles separately you can toggle the pump between performance and silent and see if you can hear the pump making this noise more/less
Another thing to try Just to check if it's pump related, try laying the case on it's side (i.e. changing the orientation of the X62 pump head by 90 degrees) and see if it's quieter, you can get either slight impeller imbalance or tiny air bubbles that can make the pump make small noises.

Associate
OP
It found a workaround similar to what was mentioned above - I created a custom profile which ran the fan at a slightly higher base speed for low temperatures. It seems that it’s low fan speeds which cause the noise. The custom profile seems to have stopped the noise happening, but the PC is less beautifully silent than it was before!

The pump speed for the Kraken is at maximum the whole time according to CAM.

The last time I updated the CAM software my PC ended up in the repair shop as the CPU fan was going mental. They didn’t fix it - I managed to do that afterwards by ensuring the fan header was set to maximum speed (allowing the Kraken to determine the actual speed). The guy who ‘fixed’ it actually told me he didn’t like watercoolers as his was also really loud! (I really should go back and tell him). After that it was fine until I updated CAM again recently - and now this bloody clicking.

Back
Top Bottom