Kyle Rittenhouse - teen who shot three people in Kenosha

Man of Honour
I've watched them interviews hes being doing, one with Tucker Carlson??? Anyway... God hes been reprogrammed as a robot the way he talks. Maybe he was always like that anyway?
Everyday we are watching America self implode. Our gcse geography teacher said this would happen back in the 90s... Mr Nye if you read this... Sir id like to buy you a pint.

You can buy him a brewery if you wish, and while I sincerely hope that Mr. Nye is still around, I hope that he’s not holding his breath while waiting for America to self implode.
Reading some of the stuff posted ad nauseam on here you’d be forgiven for thinking that America resembles London during the Black Death, with carts going around picking up the dead that litter the streets.
Sure, things like Rittenhouse and the Texas shooting being discussed in another thread happen, and they shouldn’t, ditto other outrageous shooting incidents, but they’re a rarity, an extreme rarity.
Some of the “Murica, let it burn”, and “couldn’t pay me to live there” carp is penned by people who’ve been no nearer the U.S. than the west coast of Ireland, or to the movies, avidly reading The Sun in the interval.
Go to NYC, take a walk around Manhattan, or hop a subway to Queens, The Bronx, or Brooklyn, cross the Verrazano Narrows bridge to Staten Island, grab a 7 and 7 in a neighbourhood bar, listen to the patrons, join in, they’ll welcome you.
You’ll meet construction workers, car salesmen, firemen, cops, longshoremen, and housewives coming back from the A & P, or taking kids to soccer practice or Little League tryouts, none of them will shoot you, and 99.9% have never seen a gun, let alone carried one.
Go west or south, Baltimore and Washington D.C. can both be violent cities and it’s worth giving Baltimore a miss, but elsewhere in Maryland is more than safe, likewise Pennsylvania, but be on your guard in Pittsburgh after dark.
West Virginia, northern Kentucky, and southern Ohio has its share of snaggle toothed hillbillies, but while they may shoot revenue men and each other from time to time, strangers are generally safe.
I’ve visited 18-20 of the Lower 48, and spent varying amounts of time in them, from a couple of days up to a couple of weeks, I don’t recall ever feeling unsafe, or worried for my life, yet if you believe some of these posters, I’m lucky I’m not in Boot Hill, Arizona.

Caporegime
Doesn't really matter what reality is when nearly every scrap of news coming out to the world is Anti American.
There's been a change of people looking to the US for inspiration to look at it as a cess pool of stupidity.
Unfortunately, electing people like Trump takes a huge toll on your credibility. I don't even mind the guy... But he consistently makes/made a fool of himself on the worlds stage. I'm sure he will get it again.
Then the best the US can do is Biden. Its as comically bad as Swedish politics but at least this country is irrelevant.
The same cliches work for every city, every country, every people. It still fools most of the people most of the time and thats all that matters.

Soldato
Doesn't really matter what reality is when nearly every scrap of news coming out to the world is Anti American.
There's been a change of people looking to the US for inspiration to look at it as a cess pool of stupidity.
Unfortunately, electing people like Trump takes a huge toll on your credibility. I don't even mind the guy... But he consistently makes/made a fool of himself on the worlds stage. I'm sure he will get it again.
Then the best the US can do is Biden. Its as comically bad as Swedish politics but at least this country is irrelevant.
The same cliches work for every city, every country, every people. It still fools most of the people most of the time and thats all that matters.
No one else will sell their arse to all the big corporations to be president!

Man of Honour
[..] I’ve visited 18-20 of the Lower 48, and spent varying amounts of time in them, from a couple of days up to a couple of weeks, I don’t recall ever feeling unsafe, or worried for my life, yet if you believe some of these posters, I’m lucky I’m not in Boot Hill, Arizona.

Even the notorious "Wild West" towns weren't anywhere near as dangerous in reality as they are in the stories. The gunfight at the OK Corral was news. Weeks and weeks of nobody getting shot in Tombstone was not news.

As far as I can tell, the USA's rather high homicide rate is mostly down to a few densely populated areas having an extremely high homicide rate. Which would mean that most of the USA has a pretty low homicide rate. Which matches the impression I've got from talking with people who live there.

Man of Honour
Even the notorious "Wild West" towns weren't anywhere near as dangerous in reality as they are in the stories. The gunfight at the OK Corral was news. Weeks and weeks of nobody getting shot in Tombstone was not news.

As far as I can tell, the USA's rather high homicide rate is mostly down to a few densely populated areas having an extremely high homicide rate. Which would mean that most of the USA has a pretty low homicide rate. Which matches the impression I've got from talking with people who live there.

You’re right, there were 27 homicides in Des Moines, Iowa’s state capital last year, but 328 in Detroit, Michigan, which isn’t even the capital of Michigan, that’s Lansing, with a total of 20 homicides.
There were 330 in Memphis TN, but only 109 in Nashville TN, the state capital.

Commissario

Yup.

Most of the "wild west" towns from my understanding had fairly strict gun restrictions inside the town limits (basically only the sheriff and deputies could carry), with things like visitors being required to hand their guns over at either the sheriff's office or the hotel/bar for safe keeping and residents only allowed to carry if they were heading either into or out of the town limits.

The worst places were often the "company" towns that didn't have these practices and were widely known to be unsafe.

Which makes the whole idea of "we want it like it was in the good old days" rather silly when the gun control laws that keep getting shot down, and give the Republican/NRA types conniptions are far looser than what was the norm in Texas and other states back in the days of the wild west.
The people that lived back in those days seem to have understood something the current 2A fanatics don't, that unlimited access to guns in built up areas is not conducive to safety, especially when any yahoo can have one.

Soldato
Yup.

Most of the "wild west" towns from my understanding had fairly strict gun restrictions inside the town limits (basically only the sheriff and deputies could carry), with things like visitors being required to hand their guns over at either the sheriff's office or the hotel/bar for safe keeping and residents only allowed to carry if they were heading either into or out of the town limits.

The worst places were often the "company" towns that didn't have these practices and were widely known to be unsafe.

Which makes the whole idea of "we want it like it was in the good old days" rather silly when the gun control laws that keep getting shot down, and give the Republican/NRA types conniptions are far looser than what was the norm in Texas and other states back in the days of the wild west.
The people that lived back in those days seem to have understood something the current 2A fanatics don't, that unlimited access to guns in built up areas is not conducive to safety, especially when any yahoo can have one.

Talking rubbish again.
But thank for the laugh.

But you forgot to mention that the democrat run city of Philadelphia have had 500+ killings this year.

Man of Honour
Talking rubbish again.
But thank for the laugh. [..]

How do you explain the extant original records of fairly strict gun control laws in some "wild west" towns? It was less than 200 years ago. Some records survive. Even a couple of photographs, although I would argue that those are too recent. Late 19th century was a significantly different time to early and mid 19th century in this context. But we have some extant original records of local laws and of court records relating to gun control laws in the USA from the "wild west" time/place.

I think Werewolf is over-stating the case, but they're obviously not "talking rubbish". For example, we know for an absolute certainty that carrying a gun in Dodge City was officially illegal at least by 1879 and very likely for some years before then.

Which begs the question of why I think Werewolf is over-stating the case:

1) A lot of the evidence of gun control laws comes from later in the 19th century, effectively after the "wild west" period.

2) There is also a lot of evidence that the gun control laws in the USA prior to the 20th century were very selectively enforced (or not enforced at all for "white" people who weren't slaves or serfs). For example, there's surviving news coverage of a gunfight in a pub (The Long Branch Saloon) in Dodge City in 1879. Both people were carrying a gun. Carrying a gun in a bar (or anywhere else other than your own home) in Dodge City was illegal at that time. The killer was acquitted on grounds of self defence. There's no mention at all of any question of anyone even considering enforcing the law against carrying a gun. Many people in Dodge City in those days carried a gun. It was illegal but that didn't mean the law would be enforced. Especially if you were powerful enough in the town or you worked for someone who was.

3) A more minor point is that as far as I can tell there isn't enough reliable and easily found evidence to say most "wild west" towns had fairly strict gun restrictions inside the town limits back in the "wild west" days. Some did. But most? And during the "wild west" period?

https://crpa.org/news/crpa/did-the-wild-west-really-have-more-gun-control-than-we-do/ is a decent article on the subject by someone opposed to gun control. Someone who was told about life in Dodge City in the 1870s by someone who lived in Dodge City in the 1870s. It wasn't that long ago.

But definitely not "talking rubbish". Localised gun control laws existed in some towns in the "wild west". Nor was it a new idea. Far from it. There are extant medieval references to localised weapon control laws, for example. Like the later "wild west" laws, they outlawed the carrying of weapons in public places inside that particular town's limits.

Soldato
How do you explain the extant original records of fairly strict gun control laws in some "wild west" towns? It was less than 200 years ago. Some records survive. Even a couple of photographs, although I would argue that those are too recent. Late 19th century was a significantly different time to early and mid 19th century in this context. But we have some extant original records of local laws and of court records relating to gun control laws in the USA from the "wild west" time/place.

I think Werewolf is over-stating the case, but they're obviously not "talking rubbish". For example, we know for an absolute certainty that carrying a gun in Dodge City was officially illegal at least by 1879 and very likely for some years before then.

Which begs the question of why I think Werewolf is over-stating the case:

1) A lot of the evidence of gun control laws comes from later in the 19th century, effectively after the "wild west" period.

2) There is also a lot of evidence that the gun control laws in the USA prior to the 20th century were very selectively enforced (or not enforced at all for "white" people who weren't slaves or serfs). For example, there's surviving news coverage of a gunfight in a pub (The Long Branch Saloon) in Dodge City in 1879. Both people were carrying a gun. Carrying a gun in a bar (or anywhere else other than your own home) in Dodge City was illegal at that time. The killer was acquitted on grounds of self defence. There's no mention at all of any question of anyone even considering enforcing the law against carrying a gun. Many people in Dodge City in those days carried a gun. It was illegal but that didn't mean the law would be enforced. Especially if you were powerful enough in the town or you worked for someone who was.

3) A more minor point is that as far as I can tell there isn't enough reliable and easily found evidence to say most "wild west" towns had fairly strict gun restrictions inside the town limits back in the "wild west" days. Some did. But most? And during the "wild west" period?

https://crpa.org/news/crpa/did-the-wild-west-really-have-more-gun-control-than-we-do/ is a decent article on the subject by someone opposed to gun control. Someone who was told about life in Dodge City in the 1870s by someone who lived in Dodge City in the 1870s. It wasn't that long ago.

But definitely not "talking rubbish". Localised gun control laws existed in some towns in the "wild west". Nor was it a new idea. Far from it. There are extant medieval references to localised weapon control laws, for example. Like the later "wild west" laws, they outlawed the carrying of weapons in public places inside that particular town's limits.

I agree in some towns they tried to bring in gun law.
The Ordinance 9 in Tombstone, turned in to a gun fight .

"The result was that, by contemporary standards, gun homicides were relatively rare. In cattle towns such as Tombstone or Dodge City, the average number of homicides was only 1.5 or 2 a year"
"The murder rate was much higher in mining towns, such as Bodie, Calif. During its boom years, the town had 29 murders a year, which translated to a murder rate three times higher than Miami in 1980"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sguided-view-of-gun-control-in-the-wild-west/

Soldato
Caporegime
What a waste of 3 lives. The motorcycle rider will never get over killing her and her unborn child. This is why you don’t give guns to just anyone. If she didn’t have access to that gun she’d still be alive and that guys life wouldn’t be ruined by what he’d done, even though he was just defending himself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...hvDKoEbwGphCsZbD03g_3A_IOE#Echobox=1638246926

The problem is less the fact she owned a gun and more the fact she was a maniac deliberately crashing into people and starting confrontations with lethal force, it's speculation as to what stunt she would have pulled if she didn't have a firearm, quite possibly got out a knife given her predisposition for carrying lethal weapons, she was a loose cannon that probably would have gotten herself killed in a violent confrontation at some point. I'm just glad she's off the road now.

Last edited:
Soldato
What a waste of 3 lives. The motorcycle rider will never get over killing her and her unborn child. This is why you don’t give guns to just anyone. If she didn’t have access to that gun she’d still be alive and that guys life wouldn’t be ruined by what he’d done, even though he was just defending himself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...hvDKoEbwGphCsZbD03g_3A_IOE#Echobox=1638246926

What's that got to do with Kyle?
Or are you just inserting stuff now?

Caporegime
Talking rubbish again.
But thank for the laugh.

But you forgot to mention that the democrat run city of Philadelphia have had 500+ killings this year.

Have you ever been to Philadelphia?

I have travelled through philly, memphis, atlanta, New Orleans, detroit etc.

Gun crime victims in Philly by race

Screenshot-20211204-174917-Chrome.jpg

https://www.pcgvr.org/philadelphia-shooting-victims-dashboard/

Screenshot-20211204-175247-Chrome.jpg

And let me tell you there are not all racially prejudicial crimes otherwise you would hear about it every day.

Back
Top Bottom