Labour frontbencher Diane Abbott "coloured".

Caporegime
What I find strange is that 'coloured' is offensive, but 'person of colour' is completely fine. :confused:

Edit: It even states in the article that
"Using the term 'coloured' to describe anyone who is not white is offensive because it assumes being white is somehow normal or the default."
yet calling someone who isn't white a 'person of colour' somehow doesn't do exactly the same thing? Meh

Last edited:
Soldato
I like how the context it was used in was completely disregarded, i.e. she was actually using it to high light the abuse Diane Abbott receives on Twitter, yet Diane then stabs her in the back for it like the moronic coward she is.

Soldato
I suppose as an MP in a position of power the assumption would be that she would know the current acceptable terms to use and not come across as a racist moron.

Associate
I've not heard anyone be called coloured in the UK for decades, I thought it had died out. I don't like it, reminds me of times gone by when it was mean't deliberately in a bad way. Black or mixed race is much more accurate, polite and accepted.

I've only heard the phrase coloured in America of late, but then they use African American which is a nonsense in itself. Not all black people are african and not all are American. I remember when Lewis Hamilton was called African American because they couldn't work out what they could say.

Soldato
Utterly ridiculous. Anything you say could be considered offensive by someone - without you knowing or intending any offence.

Before reading this, I'd have openly used the term coloured - because I was fearful that saying 'black' incase it caused offense. Give it a few years and it will be.

Caporegime
Black or mixed race is much more accurate, polite and accepted.

Isn't mixed race insinuating they're some kind of mongrel? OFFENSIVE! HATE SPEECH! BAN IT!

Also, isn't black the absence of any colour? OMG! OFFENSIVE! HATE SPEECH! BAN IT!

Not to mention white is a complete mix of all primary colours? OMG! WHITE SUPREMACIST! NAZI! BAN IT!

How many years before we're all just grunting like cave men to avoid offending anyone?

Associate
Isn't mixed race insinuating they're some kind of mongrel? OFFENSIVE! HATE SPEECH! BAN IT!

No it's a precise description of exactly what they are and used by Govenment in questionaires, applications etc. I'm not aware of anyone of mixed race having a problem with it. Coloured as mentioned above is completely out of date.

On the other hand, it has gone completely out of control with the latest LGBQTG stuff. Lets not get started on that, how on earth are you suposed to know what pronoun someone wants you to call them unless you ask them? At the same time it's a complete misuse of what a pronoun is.

Back
Top Bottom