Labour frontbencher Diane Abbott "coloured".

Caporegime
There is no "acceptable" term for a person with one black and one white parent in this country is there.

Although I believe most will self-identify as "black" if they have one black parent.

Permabanned
If the word "black" had been used (back then) instead of "coloured",
we could be living in a parallel universe where "black" was "racist" and "coloured" was preferred. .

Yes, I seem to recall when growing up, Black becoming a derogatory term
[ no Blacks or Irish, Love Thy Neighbour, } in the 70s, and Coloured was the new, enlightened, groovy
name for our ethnic friends of African/Carribean descent.

Word definitions or usage change, become moribund, or go out of favour for various reasons, none of them logical,
perfectly serviceable scientific words like Spastic, Retard, Moron and Mongol are consigned to history never
to be used in polite company ever again.

Soldato
I didn't know there was a thread about this but i read the story a few days ago. Amber Rudd was just being clumsy in her language but what was reviling is the way Diane Abbot jumped on this without hesitation. She used this as a political point scoring exercise as i can guarantee you if it was a Labour MP who made exactly the same mistake you won't have heard a peep out of her.

But then she's losing her marbles in general, now she scared of being raped by someone in the far right. :/

Soldato
i'm not THAT old but i remember when calling someone black was not the done thing and everybody, including black people, where using the word coloured.
Sure it was a while ago but these things do change relatively quickly.

edit - i'm starting to doubt my memory now - maybe it was people of colour? Certainly 'black' used to be offensive and isn't now.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's remarkable how things have changed in regard to how people have to walk on eggshells in order not to offend. I was telling my wife during a conversation with friends about how schools are very PC in some ways these days, but not in others, after a young lad had told us how teachers openly slate President Trump in front of the class, making him out to be the devil incarnate. His father was planning to see these teachers and request they refrain from indoctrinating their political opinions on his son. I think I read of a similar situation on these forums a bit ago?

My first day at private school saw our form master ask our full names and addresses for his register, and then selecting a "boy of colour" (actually the son of some high ranking African diplomat it transpired, who had probably been around more formal dinners than most of us put together) said to me, "Wilson, make sure he knows how to use cutlery in the refectory please". Another lad, an orthodox Jew, got "Watch him, what ever you do don't borrow money from him, he will have learnt compound interest in his head, at his mothers breast" ;) He also said "Watch the school doctor, he'll use any excuse to have your pants down to have a look". The doc was mentioned in a national newspaper, after I left, with open insinuation as to why he left suddenly, with no formal good bye or retirement ceremony. How times have changed! In some regards...

Soldato
It's remarkable how things have changed in regard to how people have to walk on eggshells in order not to offend. I was telling my wife during a conversation with friends about how schools are very PC in some ways these days, but not in others, after a young lad had told us how teachers openly slate President Trump in front of the class, making him out to be the devil incarnate. His father was planning to see these teachers and request they refrain from indoctrinating their political opinions on his son. I think I read of a similar situation on these forums a bit ago?

My first day at private school saw our form master ask our full names and addresses for his register, and then selecting a "boy of colour" (actually the son of some high ranking African diplomat it transpired, who had probably been around more formal dinners than most of us put together) said to me, "Wilson, make sure he knows how to use cutlery in the refectory please". Another lad, an orthodox Jew, got "Watch him, what ever you do don't borrow money from him, he will have learnt compound interest in his head, at his mothers breast" ;) He also said "Watch the school doctor, he'll use any excuse to have your pants down to have a look". The doc was mentioned in a national newspaper, after I left, with open insinuation as to why he left suddenly, with no formal good bye or retirement ceremony. How times have changed! In some regards...

Excellent post - wish I had gone to your school. Mind you when I went to school we had moved to all the latest technology - ink pots along with the ink pens which had wooden pencil type holders where the nibs would be forever falling off. :)

Getting six of the best with a Jokari bat in your gym shorts fair used to make you eyes water too.

Permabanned
Caporegime
Just assumed it was the standard occasionally onsite nurse with their tiny room and a bed, I was using it as a catch all.

But my point still stands, how long were the insinuations going on, for it be such open knowledge?

Permabanned
Just assumed it was the standard occasionally onsite nurse with their tiny room and a bed, I was using it as a catch all.

But my point still stands, how long were the insinuations going on, for it be such open knowledge?

I have just been butchering a swine and suddenly I thought, you know, these remind me of many of your recent posts

pigs-ear.jpg

Permabanned
If your not going to answer I’ll just assume it was a long time and that you agree with it ;)

It would have been about 1971, we had a few (alleged...) sexual deviants on the staff, in those days you just shrugged them off and got on with learning. Maybe I should have some sort of latent break down and make a claim? :) It wasn't the doc or any of the other (alleged...) homosexuals you had to worry about, it was those with rapier tongues and quick back handers. Different era.

Back
Top Bottom