1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labour unveils National Grid takeover plan - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by SDK^, May 16, 2019 at 11:19 AM.

1. SDK^

Capodecina

So Labour continue to push on with their plan to take the National Grid into public ownership.
    BBC article : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48286563

My view on this :
    • The grid profit is c£33 per household pa.
    • Labour will remove the profit by nationalising at a one-off cost of £100B.
    • They will also borrow to fund annual CapEx - £5B next year alone.
    • Spending £100B plus £Bs every year to save households part of £33 is lunacy.
    What are your views/thoughts on this?

2. The_Abyss

Capodecina

It is a cornerstone of Labour's next manifesto, and therefore we'll see much more on this. There'll be reassurance on how it can be transacted with minimal disruption to existing investors and other similar businesses lined up for the same treatment, and at no cost that will be felt by the taxpayer and State, and this'll be countered by claims that he's recreating Venezuela in Britain, he's a Marxist and how this will cost hard-working families money and indebt future generations.

The truth will probably be somewhere in between the two views, either of which will be held up to serious scrutiny by the media and so the facts will soon disappear beneath a tsunami of sound bites, and at the end of it 90% of people will still vote red or blue with only a few doing something different or nothing at all.

That's what I think.

3. Dolph

Man of Honour

If its less than market value, it will almost certainly be thrown out by the courts as well as massively economically damaging to uk investment.

4. nkata

Soldato

I could see that c£33 per household easily being evaporated by centralist control aiming to redistribute costs. It is a relatively modest amount of profit for the main distributor of energy supply and for me just less than 3% of my total annual energy bill. I have worked alongside NG on several projects over the years and they are a competent organisation working well and with equally competent engineers and staff. (Dis)organisation by a Central Government we do not need.

5. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

Ironically, from being on the right I think its about time the government took back control of many of our institutions.

6. JeditOjanen

Mobster

The National Grid made an operating profit of £3.5bn on 2017-18.

7. Evangelion

Capodecina

Essential utilities should never be privatised. I support the renationalisation of National Grid.

8. SDK^

Capodecina

Your point is what? Remember National Grid is a Global Business - UK & US.
    The NG impact on UK consumer energy bills is very small.

9. SDK^

Capodecina

Would you support the renationalisation if the end cost to you was more than it is currently - i.e. funded through a tax rise. [The money has to come from somewhere]

10. Evangelion

Capodecina

Yep, because the government would push it back down again. Not only that, but I'd be more likely to benefit from cheaper electricity prices under government ownership.

11. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Water should be the first one, huge profits with massive amounts of waste and lack of investment into infrastructure

12. doodah

Capodecina

A few thoughts and questions. As Dolph says - if it's below market value, fat chance.

What do Labour actually want out of this? What will be deemed a success if it were go ahead? Because if it's to save £33 per household, I'll skip thanks.

Broadening the issue at hand - I know BR was a mess back then but they constantly promise competition is great but what competition is there on the rail network?

I was always under the impression water was the one that takes the proverbial pee - is this the case?

Sensible regulation and agencies with actual teeth when companies screw up sounds like the most sensible solution to a lot of these industries.

13. Stretch

Capodecina

They should start with the government.

14. Nasher

Capodecina

Selling any services off was a stupid move in the first place.

15. TJM

Wise Guy

'The Golden Age of British Rail' on BBC4 is an interesting watch. BR spent the 70s and 80s modernising its intercity services. When the private operators arrived on the scene, they found there was little scope for improvement and the existing service patterns remained intact. (The cynical view is that privatisation only occurred because BR had sorted itself out by the end of its existence, making it easier to sell.)

Is there competition? I think you need to break the sector down:

Rolling stock - No. Extremely expensive and, generally speaking, built/configured to run on particular lines so an operator has to use a particular ROSCO. This 'market' is a complete sham.
    Network management - There's no money in this and it is safety critical so privatisation is idiotic. Of course, that didn't stop us trying it for a few years.
    Operations - There can be a functioning market for this. TfL own all of the equipment on the DLR and Overground but allow private operators to staff the trains, with contracts that punish avoidable delays and don't reward neglecting off-peak or less popular services. The franchising system, on the other hand, is so absurdly complicated that only a few massive companies can compete (almost all owned by nationalised foreign train companies) and losing a franchise for poor performance is almost impossible.

Here's an article that should make anyone angry: https://www.ft.com/content/5413ebf8-24f1-11e7-8691-d5f7e0cd0a16

16. dowie

Caporegime

Why?

17. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Compared to what? Massive failures of health and safety standards, with absolutely no investment at all, and £140 billion in backlogged infrastucture maintenance, all tied up in years of bureaucratic BS and run by micro-empires, but with no risk of being hounded by European Standards bods, since we're Brexiting?
    OK, sure. Renationalise it. Be my guest. Be my ******* guest. I'll HAPPILY take the pay rise and complete loss of any work to do. Just don't complain when nothing gets done, yeh?

Meantime, remember that most investment since 1979 was only possible through the higher revenues that privatisation brought, that their profits are being paid to shareholders whose investments fund your pensions, and that the amount of money they're allowed to investment in infrastucture is actually decided by the government regulator. Indeed, our local lot just asked if they could invest £11 billion in infrastructure, but all signs so far point to Ofwat simply laughing and telling them where to stick it...

18. Dolph

Man of Honour

Except reality trumps belief in this matter...

19. Rroff

Man of Honour

Lot of potential arguments to nationalisation versus privatisation of utilities, etc. but regardless anyone who thinks that nationalisation plans under the ideologies of those currently shaping Labour will lead to a good thing aren't looking hard enough and/or don't care for the bigger picture.

It is kind of like these people who when driving can't understand that having right of way doesn't automatically give you a right to exercise that right of way - just because you can justify something as being for the "greater good" doesn't automatically mean that it actually can accomplish something for the greater good.

20. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Unless this thread turns crazy like the Brexit one, this particular element of the topic is one that'll be raised again and again, so I thought I might single it out and address it now.

UK pension funds do invest in UK utility companies. They're attractive for a number of reasons:

- they're stable. The regulatory environment is mostly benign.
    - they're predictable. The business models are not complex and market shocks are not likely
    - they generate income. They normally pay good, consistent dividends, which provides the kind of liquidity that many pension funds need
    - they're listed in Sterling, so no forex risk for what are primarily UK pensioners / investors

If the utility provider in question was renationalised at the market value, then there is no loss to the pension funds. They won't be lost without this kind of business to invest in - there are plenty of other similar companies to invest in. The world will not cease turning, and everything will carry on as normal.

if renationalisation occurred at below market value then yes, there would be a capital loss that all investors would experience.

The 'but think of the pensioners' will likely be rolled out as a reason not to nationalise but it is a false one, especially so in a nation that is ludicrously far removed and uneducated about the need to save for their own retirement.