Lack of people wearing Poppies is a disgrace .

Caporegime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Henry_Cain

xlxsug.jpg

During the Battle of Arnhem from 17 September to 25 September 1944, Major Cain's company was cut off from the battalion and throughout the whole of this time was closely engaged with enemy tanks, self-propelled guns and infantry. The Major was everywhere danger threatened, moving among his men and encouraging them to hold out. By his leadership he not only stopped but demoralized the enemy attacks and although he was suffering from a perforated ear-drum and multiple wounds, he refused medical attention.

By this time there were no more PIAT's available to the Major. Undeterred, he armed himself with a two inch mortar (which at times he was holding above the ground in an almost horizontal plane because incoming Germans in such close proximity), while his leadership ensured that the South Staffords gave no ground and drove the enemy off in complete disorde
By the end of the Battle, Cain had been responsible for the destruction or disabling of six tanks, four of which were Tigers, as well as a number of self-propelled guns.

Amazing story, and just one of thousands of similar.

He even shaved before leaving :D

Man of Honour
Amazing story, and just one of thousands of similar.

I can raise you with my own Uncle who did it on his own in Arnhem -

baskeyfield.jpg

Jack Baskeyfield

One Staffordshire soldier's bravery in the Second World War was rewarded with the Victoria Cross. So why do few people know about John Baskeyfield? Phil Bowers tells the story of one local unsung hero...

The statue erected in Festival Park in Stoke on Trent in honour of John, or Jack Baskeyfield, as he's better known has often been said to be in the wrong place...

For a man who fought valiantly for his country during the Second World War, it seems a little unbecoming to place his memorial at the rear of a shopping centre, especially a man whose bravery earned him a Victoria Cross.

Whatever its location though, Baskeyfield’s statue is a testament to a man whose bravery should be better known by the people of Stoke-on-Trent.

His actions during the War gained him a reputation that garnered him the respect of his peers until his death in September of 1944.

Background

Baskeyfield was born in Burslem, one of the Six Towns, in November 1922, not far from where his statue now stands. Initially becoming a butcher, he enjoyed a conventional career until February of 1942, when he received his call up papers to enter the conflict that had raged across Europe over the previous three years.
John Baskeyfield

Serving with the 2nd South Staffs Regiment in North Africa, Sicily and Italy, Baskeyfield commanded two anti-tank guns at Arnhem, and was involved in heavy fighting that followed the stand of the Lonsdale Force near Oosterbeek, Holland in September 1944.

A fierce confrontation resulted in most of the regiment being forced back after a sustained an consistent drive through parachute battalions an holding troops by German forces.
The Last Confrontation

Baskeyfield’s section took it upon themselves to mount a serious defence of the Allied positions. Digging in near a road junction, the small contingent of British troops destroyed an armoured car and two Tiger tanks, making sure each shot counted by allowing the German armour to come within the perilously close distance of 100 yards.

His companions were all killed, while Baskeyfield himself was badly wounded in the leg. What followed next is a feat of sheer bravery that cost him his life.

Dragging himself to an antitank gun, Baskeyfield held off the entire German troop long enough to try and attract the attention of nearby Allied soldiers.

Fighting alone

However, when no help arrived, the Germans renewed their onslaught, advancing on Baskeyfield’s position with heavy armour and sustained mortar bombardment.

Alone, he continued to repel the attacking forces by himself, knocking out several German vehicles before his gun was destroyed. Baskeyfield, though, had done enough to ensure that the tank attack had been foiled.
John Baskeyfield

The Germans sent forth a third wave, but Baskeyfield again was unwilling to concede defeat, crawling to another gun and continuing to hold of the attackers.

He destroyed another armoured car and was preparing to take aim at a half-track, when, sadly, a German tank destroyed his position with a single shot, killing Baskeyfield in the process.

His body was never found.

Posthumous VC

He was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross after the war in recognition of his actions at Oosterbeek, and the statue was erected shortly after the construction of Festival Park in 1990.

While many people would like to see his memorial moved, it can not be disputed that the statue itself is a glowing tribute to one of the bravest men in the history of Staffordshire.

Man of Honour
I also want to make an important point about soldiers.

The man above and 2 more of my uncles were basically forced to go and fight.
They didn't sign up but were dragged from their safe jobs to a war where they knew they might not come back.
They didn't ask for it but still ended up dead and these are the soldiers that poppy's are really for.
Of course the poppy now stands for all soldiers but there is a major difference between the two.

Caporegime
Amazing story, it's hard to imagine what would have happened without him even though he mightn't have wanted to be there he gave his life to ave dozens of strangers.

The statue erected in Festival Park in Stoke on Trent in honour of John, or Jack Baskeyfield, as he's better known has often been said to be in the wrong place...

While many people would like to see his memorial moved, it can not be disputed that the statue itself is a glowing tribute to one of the bravest men in the history of Staffordshire.

Although i disagree with this part. I think it;s a much deeper beauty that his statue doesn't sit on a plinth for pomp and ceremony, but it stands guard over the mundane parts of everyday life, the life he would have lived if not for the war, the life he fought so hard to preserve.

Associate
Lets clear a few things up, firstly;

I have said that i am greatful for what the guys did in the World Wars.

and secondly, i am more than happy for the UK to have a military presence in the UK, in Europe and anywhere else that is stratigically benifitial.

If, someone were to try and attack or invade our country then they would be ready to act. This is why we call it 'defence'. And this would be dying and fighting to protect our country.

What i dont, and cant agree with, is going into pointless wars.

How anyone can say that our choice to go into Iraq was correct, is highly missguided and thoroughly brainwashed.

The soldiers out there are not protecting me in any way from any threat. Infact, their presence in the middle east has probably increased the threat of an attack in the UK.

Obviously these soldiers are puppets and have to follow orders, i understand that. I also understand that most of these guys are brainwashed into thinking that they are fighting for a good cause. A non-brainwashed soldier is a poor soldier.

This doesn't mean that i respect what they are doing out there, and why should i?

All you guys claiming that i dont see the big picture ect...

I think you guys need to take a closer look instead. You are happy that our govenment sends young, confused, soldiers to fight pointless wars abroad? We should celebrate that? Thats part of the bigger picture is it?

Think about that before you go to sleep next. In fact, think about those who don't have a bed tonight, those who have, are, and will sleep in cold, wet, mud simply so you can sit at your keyboard and criticise them. Whether you like it or not, these soldiers are doing their duty on behalf of Queen and Country. Whether we should be in Afghanistan or not is by the bye. The issue is, that we are there and these fine lads are there because those we've put in power have told them to do so. They don't quarral, they don't argue; they just go and do what they have to do.

Your telling me that if our 'boys' weren't fighting right now, i wouldn't be able to sit at my computer!!? Rubbish! It would make no difference! They have no bed!? Thats their problem not mine. You sign up knowing that you may have to rough it - not my problem.

Their fighting in Afganistan and Iraq makes no difference to my safety or freedom.

Do they earn my respect for fighting in these pointless wars, no. Do i understand that its a tough life out there, yes of course. But they signed up knowing this was the case.

To sum things up for all you 'god save the queen', we do no wrong 'army lovers';

I aint got a problem with having a military presence. As long as it is used solely for defence, and not for invasions/killing innocent people.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Surely the time has come to have remotely automated machines doing all the killing and fighting for us? Tradition is a funny one, often quoted as an excuse to be very stubborn and not change, as is the 'the world is complex' excuse to wage wars. Why waste so many lives. I hate the idea of someone else sacrificing their life on my behalf.

Because you really don't want autonomous machines going around killing people. Collatoral damage would go through the roof that is for sure.

and secondly, i am more than happy for the UK to have a military presence in the UK, in Europe and anywhere else that is stratigically benifitial.

In an oil based economoy, I would say the middle east is pretty strategic, wouldn't you?

If, someone were to try and attack or invade our country then they would be ready to act. This is why we call it 'defence'. And this would be dying and fighting to protect our country.

So you are quite happy for these "brainwashed idiots" to defend you, but are happy to insult you when they aren't?

What i dont, and cant agree with, is going into pointless wars.

How anyone can say that our choice to go into Iraq was correct, is highly missguided and thoroughly brainwashed.

Who said anything about correct? What I disagree with however is "pointless". I may not agree with the point but to say it was pointless is a bit blinkered.

The soldiers out there are not protecting me in any way from any threat. Infact, their presence in the middle east has probably increased the threat of an attack in the UK.

Because the UK wasn't a target before hand. Nice to see the "I only care about these soldiers if I get something out of it" attitude again.

Obviously these soldiers are puppets and have to follow orders, i understand that. I also understand that most of these guys are brainwashed into thinking that they are fighting for a good cause. A non-brainwashed soldier is a poor soldier.

You don't know many soldiers do you?

This doesn't mean that i respect what they are doing out there, and why should i?

To be honest I am not sure if you are capable of any respect, you seem to have an all too common "I only care if there is something in it for me" attitude.

Your telling me that if our 'boys' weren't fighting right now, i wouldn't be able to sit at my computer!!? Rubbish! It would make no difference! They have no bed!? Thats their problem not mine. You sign up knowing that you may have to rough it - not my problem.

Their fighting in Afganistan and Iraq makes no difference to my safety or freedom.

Actually if soldiers like them hadn't through the years got involved in "pointless" wars you don't agree with then there is a very good chance that you wouldn't be as well off or as comfortable as you are now. But it doesn't suprise me that you can't see that as you don't seem to have a good grasp of history and how the British Armed Forces have been used to protect British interests for several hundred years.

Soldato
None of my family were in the war, were all farmers so got off very lightly.
Donated some money last week though when there were a couple of girls stood in the pouring rain shaking the tin..
Respect is due.
Only wore it that day though..

Soldato
Actually if soldiers like them hadn't through the years got involved in "pointless" wars you don't agree with then there is a very good chance that you wouldn't be as well off or as comfortable as you are now. But it doesn't suprise me that you can't see that as you don't seem to have a good grasp of history and how the British Armed Forces have been used to protect British interests for several hundred years.

This is the big problem. The critics will sit in their comfy chairs on their high speed broadband, sipping a drink listening to music on their top spec sound system. [Or, heaven forbid in this terrible economic crisis we live in right now it might be a not so comfy chair, 1mb broadband and tesco brand coa-cola :)rolleyes:)]. Why are they sat in such relative comfort in what is a tiny country punching well above it's weight? Quite possibly our history of military successes. It's the way of the world, it is you critics that need to pull your heads out of your asses.

Caporegime
Why are they sat in such relative comfort in what is a tiny country punching well above it's weight?

I love this part of you're post, it seems an almost careless throwaway remark, but it's backed up by the truth that any British person can stand tall knowing that behind them stand a huge number of the bravest, intelligent, and trained people in the world, the fact we can force countries with hundreds of times our numbers to do what we need, is an incredibly impressive feat that is never commented upon.

which in itself is greater than the power we wield Britain is a nation that criticises itself, takes the mickey and whines over the trivial because for us unlike almost anyone else we know we're safe, the important issue of our lives is guarded, and protected by those so capable so we are free to complain about the trivial.

Soldato
I love this part of you're post, it seems an almost careless throwaway remark, but it's backed up by the truth that any British person can stand tall knowing that behind them stand a huge number of the bravest, intelligent, and trained people in the world, the fact we can force countries with hundreds of times our numbers to do what we need, is an incredibly impressive feat that is never commented upon.

which in itself is greater than the power we wield Britain is a nation that criticises itself, takes the mickey and whines over the trivial because for us unlike almost anyone else we know we're safe, the important issue of our lives is guarded, and protected by those so capable so we are free to complain about the trivial.

Best post on OCUK award....

Soldato

The best part is, many countries aren't even forced. Bonds and alliances have been cemented through helping other countries develop their economies and infrastructure. Some assume that if you're a soldier you kill for a living, that is a small portion of what is required of them.

Caporegime
The best part is, many countries aren't even forced. Bonds and alliances have been cemented through helping other countries develop their economies and infrastructure. Some assume that if you're a soldier you kill for a living, that is a small portion of what is required of them.

indeed, it's truly wondrous that other countries look to us for guidance, training, and experience. that we send out troops every year to do UN work, to guard charities, to protect people that actually have nothing to do with us. That men and women are willing to live, fight and die to help a stranger who will never be able to pay them back, it's not amazing, it;s not remarkable it is beyond such words it just indescribable, when you think of it what happens every day, every night every year, how they do it and yet more joylessly than this is the fact we don't care, the sheer fact this is just considered the "norm", the only acceptable way to act, less than 1% of the population of this planet inhabit this little piece of damp rock, yet we stand for billions, there are people will to do truly remarkable and stupid things, because it;s considered "right", but we are still so free, so amazingly free and safe to criticise them, and everyone, it's just truly a indescribable feeling.

Men braver than I, perhaps just more desperate have insured I can live my current 19 years, and hopefully next 60, as a hapless fool wondering on, enjoying the journey.

Soldato
indeed, it's truly wondrous that other countries look to us for guidance, training, and experience. that we send out troops every year to do UN work, to guard charities, to protect people that actually have nothing to do with us. That men and women are willing to live, fight and die to help a stranger who will never be able to pay them back, it's not amazing, it;s not remarkable it is beyond such words it just indescribable, when you think of it what happens every day, every night every year, how they do it and yet more joylessly than this is the fact we don't care, the sheer fact this is just considered the "norm", the only acceptable way to act, less than 1% of the population of this planet inhabit this little piece of damp rock, yet we stand for billions, there are people will to do truly remarkable and stupid things, because it;s considered "right", but we are still so free, so amazingly free and safe to criticise them, and everyone, it's just truly a indescribable feeling.

Men braver than I, perhaps just more desperate have insured I can live my current 19 years, and hopefully next 60, as a hapless fool wondering on, enjoying the journey.

You should be on a horse with a saber in your hand saying that speech:)

Back
Top Bottom