Lack of people wearing Poppies is a disgrace .

Man of Honour
Just because I don't wear a poppy doesn't mean I don't support the charity.

That's the point isn't it? It's not just about the charity. The poppy appeal, although it does raise money, is a means of bringing awareness and understanding about what went on during the two world wars. Fortunately, very few of us here had to go through the torment and sacrifice that people made during these real hard times. It’s a small token to give thanks, gratitude and respect to those who gave their lives so we could live as freely as we do today.

Man of Honour
I've made a donation but I've put the Poppy on my desk as it doesn't really easily lend itself to the clothes I wear. I'll wear it if I'm wearing a shirt/suit, though.

Soldato
I donate and buy one. I have lost relatives through the wars. It also has a double meaning for me as it was also the same day my Dad died, 11/11. I wear my poppy that day.

Soldato
I wear one every year, but I honestly have not seen one for sale *anywhere* yet this year, neither have I seen anybody I can give a donation to! I was in my local Tesco the other day and, unless I missed them, they wern't even in there!

Last year they were abundant around the campus, this year, nothing.

It's really odd!

Will drop a donation as soon as I see the chance to though.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it - George Santayana

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Just because I do not wear/buy a poppy doesn't mean I do not remember and am thankful to all the servicemen and women that have fought/given their lives in the name of this country.

It also doesn't mean I haven't donated. I choose not to wear one and usually pop my change in the charity boxes at the petrol station anyway.

This year I have seen none for sale.

Soldato
Ive not came across anyone selling them, hence not having one. THe people/places selling them seem to be more and more few and far between.

However, its not a lack of respect, I cannot respect people that faught in WW1 and WW2 enough.

Soldato
As soon as I find someone selling them I'll buy one. The poppies don't look good on my clothes though.. They seem out of place, so like usual, I won't wear it.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I bought some at the weekend, had a convo with the chappy handing them out... though apparently because of health and safety he wasn't allowed to give us the pin point first and they were discouraged to give out pins :/

Craziness!

BB x

Soldato
Im just back 5 minutes ago from the British embassy, managed to get a few poppies for me and my friends. I bumped into a few other foreign students and they asked me about it and they seemed happily surprised and interested that we do this for our troops.

I doubt I'll see many people wearing them round here though, even if it is full of British tourists...

Soldato
I bought one but they don't seem to do the ones with pins any more, just the ones with the green plastic stalk like we got in Primary School - so I don't have any way of actually wearing it, unless I sellotape it to my hoody.

So yeah, donated but don't wear it.

Soldato
Again this year I'm lucky if I see anyone wearing a Poppy. Apart from the odd elderly person. I've always bought a Poppy every year for years now. To think people have fought and died for us many years ago and people today fighting Afghanistan and Iraq. It makes me so angry the lack of respect shown it makes me want to punching something.

Sorry about the rant I just think anyone that hasn't put any money in the box are a disgraceful and should be ashamed of themselves.

How does it bother you? Are you the Poppy Police? Has it not occurred to you that displaying empty symbols means nothing really? Suppport/lack of is not equatable through wearing/non-wearing of the poppy.

Man of Honour
it's not even the 11th yet.. People aren't going to wear them for weeks.
Also just because they aren't wearing one doesn't mean they haven't donated.

Associate
I buy one every year, my local shopping center always has a big stand/display in the middle selling them. I was surprised last week to see that there was a massive queue for them, made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Plus its always nice to stand and have a chat with the old fellas who sell them, they have the best stories to tell! :)

Soldato
it's not even the 11th yet.. People aren't going to wear them for weeks.
Also just because they aren't wearing one doesn't mean they haven't donated.

This is probably the reason why a lot of people arn't wearing them yet.

I have one at home but don't have any pins.

Although to echo what others have already said I don't need the poppy to remember what my grandad (or other veterans / soldiers who died in combat) did in the war).

Back
Top Bottom