30 sec rest with blood test
3min at 275w
3min at 300w
3 min at 325w

Dead

Each blood sample gives a lactate level in the blood. Up to 4 is sustainable and the body can deal with it so the point where I can theoretically sustain indefinitely is 170BPM ~240w That's my threshold. After that it's just a excercise to see how much lactate you can tolerate... I made it to 14. something.

I did one a few weeks ago, died at 350 though and couldn't do the 3 mins, it gave me my HR training zones and the guy said if I use them effectively my cycling will come on leaps and bounds... Google gets hella confusing though as everyone has a different theory.
I think in the new year I am going to get a personal trainer to help me thorough my first Ironman.
Next time I do one in spring I want to smash out 350w. I've been doing interval sessions to hopefully help push my top end a bit.

Anyone done them before? How did you use the data to your benefit?

Soldato
Not done a "science boffin" LTT, but among the info it provides, https://cricklesorg.wordpress.com/ will estimate your LTHR based on your ride history with a HRM sensor.

Having just turned 44 :eek: and coming up to one year of "fitness cycling," my LTHR is estimated to currently be ~158bpm.* Lowest reading I've had (although admittedly, I've only taken readings in bed first thing a few times) is 47, max while riding 189.

* It peaked at ~168 in September/October, after which I had a prolonged spell of head colds (man flu), plus I got into a bad habit of not wearing my HRM to work, despite often doing ~1000-2000 feet of hill reps on the way home on roads that peak at ~20% gradient... My Stravistix fitness/fatigue/form guide is currently completely out of sync with reality!

Last edited:
Associate
I did the lactate test in march, not sure if it helped as mine was high anyway because I was pounding the turbo the days before. You can see how recovery rides help flush out any crap with the blood results which I guess helped.

He set my HR zones based on that test but find them way out on the roads. My HR as most is lower indoors but outside 196 is possible at age 39. I can push very hard but back off once I hit 190 just incase.

Will do another test in march to see if any changes.

Soldato
OP
Odd you should say yours is way out, I felt like my zones were set maybe 10bpm too high, I can't hit the 190s out on the road... Although for Lanzarote 70.3 I felt like 165bpm was a good target... I came out of the swim full of adrenaline but settled in pretty quick into the first climb. Managed to average bang on 165bpm and felt great. Which ties in well with the LTT.
I'm reasonably certain I can push my peak by doing intervals up in zone5+ but what I am not so sure on is how I can increase my LTT of 170... I think the point is not to lift my HR any higher but to increase the power I am putting out at the same or lower HR with a lower lactate level...
How I do that though seems a mystery.

Soldato
I've never done one but I would think the greatest advantage is now having a benchmark. If you train hard and it shows up in your next test, you'll be brimming with confidence for your next 70.3.

Back
Top Bottom