Lagers, beers and all other good things

Soldato
I had my first bottle of Hoegaarden at the weekend when in a spanish restaurant. I thought it was absolutely fantastic and went on to have a few more ;)

Any other that would be recommended, I remember a thread about this a while ago so perhaps it's time for an update!

Also does anyone know where I can get Hoegaarden in larger quantities? Most places I've seen it since Saturday have only sold it in 4 bottle packs. I was thinking of giving away 12+ bottles each to a couple of mates as a little thank you for helping me last weekend.

Associate
12 bottles of it over here is very expensive compared to France. My uncle arrived yesterday with a new stock for me and it cost £4 for 12 bottles :) Over here i have only ever seen in 4 bottle packs which are over priced :(

Try the Hoegaarden Gand Cru and Leffe Radieuse (sp) as well. Kwak if you can find it. Anything Belgian is always nice but you pay over the odds for it in england :(

Soldato
Specially in some pubs. I've paid over £4 for a pint of Hoegaarden on more than one occasion.

As the others have said, i've only tried Leffe and the Kronenbourg Blanc as alternatives.

Man of Honour
I was going to say something about the fact that you like Hoegaarden automatically means you must have no tastebuds but that really wouldn't be helpful :o :) My suggestions for continental beers therefore would be Staropramen, Erdinger, Budvar(the original Budweiser), Kronenbourg Blanc and although I'm not so keen personally either Leffe Blonde and as an outside chance if you like fruity drinks Framboise. The first 3 are a bit more tart and are what I'd call proper real lagers/beers.

Permabanned
Hoegaarden is nice but goes straight to my head. I do recommend some nice Dark Ale, with some nice fuller flavours. I was enjoying a nice pint of Tangle foot last night

Caporegime
Chimay Bleue Is very, very nice. As are all the Belgian 'Biere Trapistes'. Rockfort very good too.

Soldato
Hoegaarden (pronounced Hoo CHaar (as in Loch) deh) is certainly a nice drink but if you can find it Wieckse Witte is ten times better and was my drink of choice when I lived in Holland.

Kronenbourg Blanc is a nice fresh alternative on tap in this country.

:D

Back
Top Bottom