LAN tournament "scam"

Caporegime
And how would he have scammed people if 8 teams had registered by the deadline?

Sure he's probably making a fair whack of profit, but it doesn't look like he's "scamming" people.

I think Fisha meant he is the kind of guy to have spent his profit already so hence can;t afford to pay the desposits back which is why he is trying to make sure the event goes ahead.

Man of Honour
He isnt scamming anyone he's just another incompetent 16 year old thinking he can organise events because he's l33t at Cod4.

aln

aln

Associate
OP
Its probably you guys (the attendees) that are more at risk of breaking the contract now ;) Just go & have fun

We'll go, but we won't have fun when we'll be the only team there. The only reason for us to go at this point is to claim #1 prize, and earn some of our money back. None of the other teams will attend on the simple basis that'll be nothing but a money sink for a pretty poor event.

Abraham said:
And how would he have scammed people if 8 teams had registered by the deadline?

Sure he's probably making a fair whack of profit, but it doesn't look like he's "scamming" people.

First of all, the guys like 17. It's entirely possible you're giving him more credit that he's due, as it's entirely possible he just didn't engage his brain in the whole ordeal.

That said, I am of similar opinion that he's probably spent a portion of it unwisely, and this is his attempt at getting around the fact he can't actually pay us back. However, this is his own fault, and he should have considered that when arranging the LAN, and he should have considered the deadline before spending other peoples money.

I'm pretty sure if you've read the thread you'll come to the same conclusion as everyone else which is what he's done is morally wrong, despite the fact if the attendees have no recourse.

DirtyJester said:
This kid is his first name Makina by any chance .....

No, his name is Sam Lockton, he lives in Newcastle and he attends Northumbria college. He's pretty loose with the personal details.

TWFox said:
He isnt scamming anyone he's just another incompetent 16 year old thinking he can organise events because he's l33t at Cod4.

Actually at this point he has taken money from a bunch of people for an agreed upon service, then he's went ahead and changed the terms of that service. On top of that, if he has made up 3 fake teams then he basically is scamming us due to the simple fact we had an agreement of 8 teams minimum, and there’s not going to be an event for those of us who do attend (we're the only team who can still manage it). :)

Last edited:
Soldato
If yours is the only team that turns up then you win No.1 prize money right? :D

I'm sure that will be more than the entrance+travel costs yeah?

win win :cool:

Associate
If yours is the only team that turns up then you win No.1 prize money right? :D

win win :cool:

Well yeah, but at the expense of the european community... You need time to book off work, book flights etc... And obviously then when the deadline passes and there aren't enough teams then people want a refund - not see their money spent to arrange a local LAN party for like the local scrub kids...

aln

aln

Associate
OP
Surfer said:
If yours is the only team that turns up then you win No.1 prize money right?

win win

Was planning to win anyway, but not as the expense of conning a bunch of other teams. The teams signed up also happen to contain some of the friendliest people in the game, I'd choose to get them their money back before I'd choose to keep it for myself, given the circumstances.

Well yeah, but at the expense of the european community... You need time to book off work, book flights etc... And obviously then when the deadline passes and there aren't enough teams then people want a refund - not see their money spent to arrange a local LAN party for like the local scrub kids...

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom