Land Rover driver fined after causing cyclist to fall off

Soldato
you can fast forward like for netflix/advert skip
looks like the driver had probably been speeding before, started the overtake leaving enough space, but then pulled in, cutting into him, pushing him off to left (maybe fortunately for him) , assuming he would be way back - surprising other following drivers didn't stop as witnesses.
I do wonder how alert the cyclist was, given her previous overtake attempt, and neither commenting or moving head, or subsequently, becoming more assertive.
... video capture of actual event and relative movement of car is not captured very well by the (in reflector i think) bike-cam

Soldato
So 50 cars should stop to allow 1 cyclist to pass for example. Rather than 1 cyclist stopping to allow 50 cars to pass?

That's my whole point. The hierarchy is backwards.
Yea the change wasnt well thought out. They overlooked a lot of things. In the real world they dont really work. Same with the thing about now stopping to allow pedestrians across junctions, if you do everyone just looks at you confused and it causes hesitations which are dangerous on the road.

Soldato
Yea the change wasnt well thought out. They overlooked a lot of things. In the real world they dont really work. Same with the thing about now stopping to allow pedestrians across junctions, if you do everyone just looks at you confused and it causes hesitations which are dangerous on the road.

It works perfectly well, its just needs a culture change. I spent the last week in Iceland and drivers always yield to pedestrians at crossing points and junctions. It made a refreshing change

Soldato
Icelands's roads are rammed with traffic like ours are. Telling people its ok to step out on to a junction and traffic will stop is dumb.

Soldato
Icelands's roads are rammed with traffic like ours are. Telling people its ok to step out on to a junction and traffic will stop is dumb.

I certainly agree that stepping out expecting right of way is pretty daft. I stopped and waited to cross the road and drivers in Iceland just stop to let you cross which seems the sensible option

Caporegime
I certainly agree that stepping out expecting right of way is pretty daft. I stopped and waited to cross the road and drivers in Iceland just stop to let you cross which seems the sensible option

Seems sensible until you think about the impending catastrophe of global warming.

Cars constantly stopping and starting is not green nor is it good for wear and wear.

So how can a goverment woth an agenda around green want to make such changes knowing their will inherently increase pollution?

Man of Honour
OP
Works fine here in Austria. If you are crossing the road then traffic yields, similar to the new rules in the UK. I'm in Vienna - so plenty of traffic - and it doesn't cause any issues.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about if I'm walking down a main road and I have started to cross a side road, traffic coming from the side road on to the main road, or from the main road onto the side road, will give way.

If a pedestrian just walks out into the middle of the road here they'll get the horn blared at them just like anywhere else.

Man of Honour
OP
Seems sensible until you think about the impending catastrophe of global warming.

Cars constantly stopping and starting is not green nor is it good for wear and wear.

So how can a goverment woth an agenda around green want to make such changes knowing their will inherently increase pollution?
Because vulnerable road users are likely deemed more important than the miniscule impact on wear and tear and pollution caused by vehicles. Think about it - if you're a driver approaching a junction then you are invariably going to be slowing down to a crawl to make a turn anyway, and you are quite likely to need to stop completely. I don't think yielding to pedestrians who are already crossing makes a significant impact.

Caporegime
Because vulnerable road users are likely deemed more important than the miniscule impact on wear and tear and pollution caused by vehicles. Think about it - if you're a driver approaching a junction then you are invariably going to be slowing down to a crawl to make a turn anyway, and you are quite likely to need to stop completely. I don't think yielding to pedestrians who are already crossing makes a significant impact.

Asking 50 cars to stop for 1 cyclist for example is hideously inefficient.

And given the tax on cars and petrol in the name of green living then I believe cars are consisted major polluters.

Soldato

And given the tax on cars and petrol in the name of green living then I believe cars are consisted major polluters.

I feel this is a thinly veiled attempt at claiming to care about the environment in an attempt to establish the right to bully smaller road users, however driving 2 tonnes of metal for one person is hideously inefficient with or without yielding to bicycles. If only people felt safe on a bike on the roads, they could too travel in man's most efficient machine!

You should have words with the inventor of zebra crossings. What they have essentially done is make virtual zebra crossing on every junction where the pavement continues on. I personally would have preferred the pavement to stay raised indicating where right of way belongs but cost and time to implement are issues here.

Soldato

50 cars going down a road that can be stopped by one cyclist is 50 cars going down an inappropriate/inefficient road at an inappropriate/inefficient speed.

You're about 50yrs too late. With the snake oil/strawman about cars. The world has moved on. So should you.

Soldato
I feel this is a thinly veiled attempt at claiming to care about the environment in an attempt to establish the right to bully smaller road users, however driving 2 tonnes of metal for one person is hideously inefficient with or without yielding to bicycles. If only people felt safe on a bike on the roads, they could too travel in man's most efficient machine!

You should have words with the inventor of zebra crossings. What they have essentially done is make virtual zebra crossing on every junction where the pavement continues on. I personally would have preferred the pavement to stay raised indicating where right of way belongs but cost and time to implement are issues here.

Its a boorish vexatious argument. Takes no effort for one road user to give consideration to another road user. On a narrow road with no other traffic involved.

Soldato

If people even gave the slightness care about the environment or wear and tear then they wouldnt drive their cars needlessly

Most trips are relatively short. In 2020, 25% of trips were under 1 mile, and 71% under 5 miles.
https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...ps are relatively short,and 68% under 5 miles.

Man of Honour
I do wonder how alert the cyclist was, given her previous overtake attempt, and neither commenting or moving head, or subsequently, becoming more assertive.

100%
If a motorist does that to me I just slow down because I'm never going to win the "It is my right of way" argument.
I used to in my first 6 months of commuting, I was Mr Angry Cyclist who argued with everybody and now I just let motorists get on with it and do my best to stay out of the way.

Caporegime
Soldato
Are they needless though or is that your judgement?

At current petrol prices I doubt people are going out for a 4 mile joy ride on a whim.

Driving less than 1 mile when it can be walked is needless, causes congestion, increases wear and tear and increases pollution, especially if it’s 50 cars making the pointless journey down a single track lane

Caporegime
Driving less than 1 mile when it can be walked is needless, causes congestion, increases wear and tear and increases pollution, especially if it’s 50 cars making the pointless journey down a single track lane

Sorry I forgot that we have over

Annual precipitation averages for the entire UK are 133 days of rain or snow, totalling 885 millimetres (33.7 inches).

And thats ignoring the cold and the winds.

Oh and random idiots on the streets that your grandma would probably be best avoiding by driving to sainsburys rather than walking it.

Soldato
Sorry I forgot that we have over

And thats ignoring the cold and the winds.

Oh and random idiots on the streets that your grandma would probably be best avoiding by driving to sainsburys rather than walking it.

Oh and here I thought you actually cared about the environment and wear and tear. Maybe, just maybe you don’t actually give a damn about anything and are full of ****?

Wear a rain coat, that’s what they were invented for

Back
Top Bottom