Land Rover driver fined after causing cyclist to fall off

Caporegime
Oh and here I thought you actually cared about the environment and wear and tear. Maybe, just maybe you don’t actually give a damn about anything and are full of ****?

Of course but since these people will need to drive anyway asking them to stop their journey to allow some day tripping cyclists having a random afternoon out down some farmers lane doesn't seem somehow practical or congruent with those aims.

Soldato
Of course but since these people will need to drive anyway asking them to stop their journey to allow some day tripping cyclists having a random afternoon out down some farmers lane doesn't seem somehow practical or congruent with those aims.

I thought it was raining and windy, so why would there be day tripping cyclists? Also why do these 50 people need to drive less than 1 mile? Perhaps the 50 idiots in cars should take a more suitable road and then wouldn’t have to encounter non existent cyclists riding in the torrential rain with high winds and racist muggers on unsuitable farm lanes.

Soldato
Sorry I forgot that we have over

And thats ignoring the cold and the winds.

And Amsterdam has 187 rainy days a year yet cycling is normal, from young children being able to travel by themselves to school to pensioners going about their day.

Oh and random idiots on the streets that your grandma would probably be best avoiding by driving to sainsburys rather than walking it.

Round here, the elderly manage to go round perfectly fine on mobility scooters when they can't walk any more. What do they do in your world when they can't drive safely any more? Just carry on driving? Car dependency isn't a good thing.

Soldato

These drivers who are unable to stop must really struggle in traffic and junctions.

Soldato
There are so many good videos this creator has uploaded to Youtube around this topic and urban design. However I think this is the most relevant here. It is nearly 13 minutes long, but really worth watching.

Caporegime
wow when did people become so pathetic that they are scared of rain, wind or the cold? I bet people aren't when it involves a night on the town and getting drunk though.

how do you people get any exercise? are you a cop or something? never see them walking

Soldato
Its really not about cycling. Its about not wanting to give consideration to the conditions or other road users. its just bad driving.

Soldato
with NL segregated cyclist the impact of cycling in poor weather is probably reduced - I sometimes got wetter/dirtier from spray off of hgv's than direct rain, plus expense, and inconvenience of carrying, wet weather gear, ideally breathable.

If a motorist does that to me I just slow down because I'm never going to win the "It is my right of way" argument.
I used to in my first 6 months of commuting, I was Mr Angry Cyclist who argued with everybody and now I just let motorists get on with it and do my best to stay out of the way.
I'm not convinced ashley Neal has first hand expereince of behaviour a competent cyclist should show with respect to observation and anticipation to 'survive'
in addition to powering the bike, I'd say it needs more concentration than driving - on uk roads anyway, maybe not nl .
watching cars that want to overtake, checking road surface and traction

Soldato
If you are cold cycling you are not cycling hard enough and/or inappropriately dressed.

Cycling requires more anticipation and awareness, I wouldn't say more concentration because things happen slower than in a car.

If its all too much then cycle slower or find a quieter route. Simple.

Soldato
It doesnt require more awareness as you cant do a lot of damage on a cycle. You just need to be more defensive, unlike the militant lycra gang with headcams.

Caporegime
If you are cold cycling you are not cycling hard enough and/or inappropriately dressed.

Cycling requires more anticipation and awareness, I wouldn't say more concentration because things happen slower than in a car.

If its all too much then cycle slower or find a quieter route. Simple.

I'll remind some 70 year olds of this next time they need to do their weekly shop.

Just cycle faster.

Soldato
It doesnt require more awareness as you cant do a lot of damage on a cycle. You just need to be more defensive, unlike the militant lycra gang with headcams.

Well you need to more aware because your more vulnerable but also you want to keep up your momentum and thus you're always reading the road ahead to avoid things that will cause you to brake unnecessarily.

Soldato
I'll remind some 70 year olds of this next time they need to do their weekly shop.

Just cycle faster.

If they are cycling in their 70s they already know.

It's only people who don't cycle who think cold is a major issue.

My main cold gear is decent set of gloves and head scarf tube thingy, thin extra under layer, breathable jacket. Over shoes on rare occasions.

If you look at people cycling in Holland most are in regular clothes.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is not about cycling anyway. It could have been a pedestrian,a runner, someone with a dog, or a horse. A tractor or oncoming car.

Soldato
Correct and them stopping and moving out of the way of the car is the safest and best way ecologically speaking.

If you can't drive properly punishing the driver is best way to fix their bad habits. Load up their points and get them off the road.

They should have a black box fitted. Its likely they drive badly everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom