Land Rover driver fined after causing cyclist to fall off

Man of Honour
I'm amazed there aren't more incidents with cyclists - again today when passing a cyclist I noticed I was the only one who bothered to go into the other carriageway to pass - most of the vehicles behind me just drove past like normal - 1 or 2 moved over a bit but nothing like 1.5m.

Soldato
Even my wife who has lived with daily cycling stories has zero safety around cyclists, not on purpose, just hasn't got a clue.

Thats the problem. Many drivers arent driving dangerously around cyclists out of malice, its just they are clueless. There are some that obviously do it to intimidate, using punishment passes etc, but are a very small minority IMO

Soldato
..business too important
Having been side-swiped by a plod/made an official complaint, I can testify to that I am a United States senator...
does the basic model have any additional driving qualifications, even to have held/used a license for x years.

Soldato
I mentally noted the passing speed and approach drivers took on a 65 mile ride on Monday. Most either came to a complete stop or a approximately first gear idle speed pass on similar single lane roads with pretty much everyone being below 20mph on slightly wider single track roads.

Also noted how unpleasant drivers were as we returned home across our local roads. Many close passes, car horns used and abuse hurled out the window, including from a helmet-less pillion on a moped. Classy.

Soldato
I mentally noted the passing speed and approach drivers took on a 65 mile ride on Monday. Most either came to a complete stop or a approximately first gear idle speed pass on similar single lane roads with pretty much everyone being below 20mph on slightly wider single track roads.

Also noted how unpleasant drivers were as we returned home across our local roads. Many close passes, car horns used and abuse hurled out the window, including from a helmet-less pillion on a moped. Classy.

Im out the door by 06.30 for my rides at the weekend. The roads are nice and quiet, so a lot less stress / aggro from drivers, far more pleasant an experience

Soldato
Im out the door by 06.30 for my rides at the weekend. The roads are nice and quiet, so a lot less stress / aggro from drivers, far more pleasant an experience

All well and good hiding from cars for exercise, but what about replacing car journeys with cycling? In this case, the mornings plan finished with a pub lunch but the experience wouldn't have changed much if we left an hour earlier. A small minority freely express their hate of cycling on the roads.

Soldato
All well and good hiding from cars for exercise, but what about replacing car journeys with cycling? In this case, the mornings plan finished with a pub lunch but the experience wouldn't have changed much if we left an hour earlier. A small minority freely express their hate of cycling on the roads.

You just need to read on here to see the hate for cyclists, let alone some of the filthy rags that seem to actively incite hatred. I rather drive instead of replacing my car journey with cycling these days or walk instead if its not too far. When its busy there are too many drivers that just dont care about your safety.

Soldato
You just need to read on here to see the hate for cyclists, let alone some of the filthy rags that seem to actively incite hatred. I rather drive instead of replacing my car journey with cycling these days or walk instead if its not too far. When its busy there are too many drivers that just dont care about your safety.

I'm going the opposite way and looking to buy a commuter bike to replace local car journeys. Traffic through the city is crawling along at a slower average speed then I can cycle at a casual pace so see little point in not taking the healthy option (my car shows a ~16.5mph average speed and I don't drive at peak times).

Soldato
Now I'm getting all kinds of related videos suggested on YouTube LOL like this one for instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6psdElpIqAg

That kinda driving will likely cause injury or worse at some point. It would have made no difference to that drivers journey time just by taking it slower. He's just creating stress for himself.

In my experience you get this in certain routes and certain junctions. So if you can find an alternative quieter route you often get less grief and a nicer cycle.

The shortest route isn't always the best route when cycling.

Man of Honour
The shortest route isn't always the best route when cycling.

Absolutely.
I started cycle commuting 12 years ago and after 6 months I'd had enough of car drivers trying to kill me but a mate suggested an alternative route which worked out 0.5 miles further (that was a lot to me :) )
Anyway even on the alternative route I've had to constantly alter things so I don't have to meet up with car drivers (basically go on the pavement here, go on it there, don't use roundabouts etc).
The only place I come across them now is on the hospital site which I can't avoid so I ride like a pensioner.

Soldato
My main route is 10 mins longer than the shortest route. I divert down the canal on nice days but that 20 mins longer. Though I might stop for a ice cream. I've stopped worrying about the time on the bike.

Haven't done it a few years must get back to it.

Soldato
Of course, you dismount and walk the bike on the pavement, right?

You dont really need to so long as you are considerate to pedestrians (important part).

The re-issued guidance is -

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other pavement users.

"Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

https://news.npcc.police.uk/release...-responding-to-people-cycling-on-the-pavement

Soldato
looks as though that needs revision/revoking in light of below and recent, more protective, highway code changes.
slightly different - I must see one a month cycling though 100% paved shopping/market area shortcut, during couple of minutes I spend walking/pushing-bike through, intimidating for older people.

Across England and Wales, the number of FPNs issued by police for cycling on the footway has dropped 96 per cent - from 11,577 in 2010/11 to just 443 in 2017/18.
There were 15 police forces that issued no fines in 2017/18.
However, 2017 saw the highest number of pedestrians injured in accidents involving cyclists on pavements since comparable figures began in 2005, according to figures on accidents reported to the police.
There were 108 people across Britain injured in such collisions in 2017, up from 71 in 2016. The number was nearly a fifth higher than the previous record of 91 casualties in 2014, and compares to 56 casualties in 2010.

Soldato
looks as though that needs revision/revoking in light of below and recent, more protective, highway code changes.

I dont see what you quoted would indicate any revision or revoking is necessary. The guidance requires people riding on pavements to show consideration to pedestrians, if people dont show consideration then fine them, like any road user not showing due consideration to other road users

Man of Honour
Of course, you dismount and walk the bike on the pavement, right?

So this is the area so I'll let you wander around the area especially down to the Bet365 to see if you are being the big man :)
It is also very rare you see pedestrians on those pavements.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9...&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&authuser=0

Here's another pavement I go on and since 2010 I've never seen a pedestrian on it.
I hope you're happy :)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9...8___VW-TA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&authuser=0

Back
Top Bottom