Land Rover driver fined after causing cyclist to fall off

Soldato
So this is the area so I'll let you wander around the area especially down to the Bet365 to see if you are being the big man :)
It is also very rare you see pedestrians on those pavements.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9887454,-2.1707382,3a,75y,221.25h,77.46t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sFqgigCd9HbyAtAMoz4KeDA!2e0!6shttps://streetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com/v1/thumbnail?panoid=FqgigCd9HbyAtAMoz4KeDA&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&w=203&h=100&yaw=85.50248&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&authuser=0

Here's another pavement I go on and since 2010 I've never seen a pedestrian on it.
I hope you're happy :)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9...8___VW-TA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&authuser=0

"Being the big man" :cry::cry:

I'm not going to "wander round" that area to appease your assessment with illegally using the pavement whilst cycling on the bike.

It's upto yourself with the laws you choose to follow and those you choose to ignore, just like everyone else... No need to get triggered

Soldato

I'm not going to "wander round" that area to appease your assessment with illegally using the pavement whilst cycling on the bike.

It's upto yourself with the laws you choose to follow and those you choose to ignore, just like everyone else... No need to get triggered

Why did you ask the question?

Man of Honour

If you bothered to look at the link there are cycle lanes on the pavements :) :)

Why did you ask the question?

because he was on his high horse thinking I was in a built up area and now he's fell off because there are cycle lanes on the pavement :)

Soldato
No high horse. I'm big and ugly enough to admit where I am wrong.

I asked the question to find out if the poster seemed happy enough to ride on the pavement when it's legally not allowed (bear in mind the facts regarding cycle paths at that time were not given)

He made no mention of cycle paths on the pavement and when challenged back, I foolishly did not click the links he left... I'm not too proud to admit where I am wrong albeit I don't see any cycle path shown on the second link however I am happy to be corrected again.

Man of Honour
No high horse. I'm big and ugly enough to admit where I am wrong.

I asked the question to find out if the poster seemed happy enough to ride on the pavement when it's legally not allowed (bear in mind the facts regarding cycle paths at that time were not given)

He made no mention of cycle paths on the pavement and when challenged back, I foolishly did not click the links he left... I'm not too proud to admit where I am wrong albeit I don't see any cycle path shown on the second link however I am happy to be corrected again.

and the poster (me) did say that on the second link he (me) has never seen one pedestrian on it since 2010.
Also I don't care how big and hard you are but cycling on the proper road towards the Michelin is putting your life in your hands because all the vehicles chase each other down to that roundabout with little care about cyclists in the way so I have no qualms about cycling on that non pedestrian pavement which to be honest is more like a track.

Soldato
Someone asking about about cycling on pavements suggests (I'm open to be proved otherwise) both a lack of knowledge on the issue, and certain rigid mindset.

There's always someone who drivers/cycles like a muppet. But other than that, there's an awful lot of missing, or badly designed infrastructure that causes problems.

Man of Honour
Wish I had a rear dashcam sometimes - approaching a corner and I could see a cyclist coming the other way so slowed and made sure to stay over and sure enough there was a car coming the other way was thinking about passing the cyclist into the corner, but aborted on seeing me, but the moment I was past, went ahead with brushing past the cyclist on the corner forcing both the cyclist and the next car behind me to have to take avoiding action...

Caporegime
This one shocked me. To my mind the lorry did nothing wrong and yet the police officer said he would be getting ticket. With the cyclists riding as they were, 2 abreast, I presume all traffic in the other lane must not overtake them to remain legal?

stupid. even worse was then the police officer on the cycle actually went over the solid white line into the other lane himself!

Soldato
that's infuriating - is that a cycle lane they're in I take it? (edit - I see it's not now) the policeman couldn't get any closer to the white line, complete gimp!

and to make it worse I wasn't exactly a fan of Jeremy Vine in the first place :p

Caporegime
that's infuriating - is that a cycle lane they're in I take it? (edit - I see it's not now) the policeman couldn't get any closer to the white line, complete gimp!

and to make it worse I wasn't exactly a fan of Jeremy Vine in the first place :p

Just realised the police were cycling 3 abreast when the lorry went "too close" to the policeman. Lorry driver had no chance.

Soldato
Just realised the police were cycling 3 abreast when the lorry went "too close" to the policeman. Lorry driver had no chance.

Not sure about that, but if the lorry had no chance then they shouldnt have overtaken. Personally if I was on a bicycle then I wouldnt have ridden two abreast , even if its legal as it just antagonises people and that sort of close pass at that sort of speed isnt a problem to me so long as he held his lane which the lorry driver does. Nothing worse than a lorry drift into your lane and there being a real threat of going under its wheels.

The problem with thinking that they are within the lines its ok, is the infrastructure doesnt prevent a close pass. On the face of it, you might think it ok but I have a friend who was almost killed by a lorry where his wing mirror smashed the back of her head when he passed at speed. She ended up with a busted neck and a cracked skull and nearly ended up under the wheels

Soldato
Not sure about that, but if the lorry had no chance then they shouldnt have overtaken. Personally if I was on a bicycle then I wouldnt have ridden two abreast , even if its legal as it just antagonises people and that sort of close pass at that sort of speed isnt a problem to me so long as he held his lane which the lorry driver does. Nothing worse than a lorry drift into your lane and there being a real threat of going under its wheels.

The problem with thinking that they are within the lines its ok, is the infrastructure doesnt prevent a close pass. On the face of it, you might think it ok but I have a friend who was almost killed by a lorry where his wing mirror smashed the back of her head when he passed at speed. She ended up with a busted neck and a cracked skull and nearly ended up under the wheels
Unless she was hugging the boundary with the live lane, it isn't really comparable. The officer(s) in that video were the only idiots essentially riding the line. Everyone else was hugging the kerb.

Soldato
Unless she was hugging the boundary with the live lane, it isn't really comparable. The officer(s) in that video were the only idiots essentially riding the line. Everyone else was hugging the kerb.

Its irrelevant if she was hugging the line or not, the point is not to close pass even if she was, as that was the consequence. Thats why its dangerous thinking just about it being in the lane as so much of the rubbish cycling infrastructure makes drivers think its ok to close pass just because you are in lane (to clarify, I know that wasnt a cycle lane in the above video)

Caporegime

So basically on that road, you should never overtake cyclists even if they are in a different lane?

Soldato
that's infuriating - is that a cycle lane they're in I take it? (edit - I see it's not now) the policeman couldn't get any closer to the white line, complete gimp
that - policeman won't have much solace in his hospital bed that the lorry driver gets prosecuted,
he should be glancing over his shoulder like the guy in front of him, to get a heads up on what the loud engine noise is approaching, and then adjust his position,
lorry driver assumed he was a US senator that high-viz indicated some intelligence

Soldato
So basically on that road, you should never overtake cyclists even if they are in a different lane?

If they were riding single file then it would have been fine, just try and not close pass. The flat bed lorry tried to overtake and give space by driving on the white lines on the RHS, not ideal but it was an attempt at least. The Waitrose lorry couldnt because it was that much wider

Soldato
As much as I have banged on and defended cyclists in this thread, I’m really not sure what the big issue is there.

You could just as easily argue that the cyclist should get a ticket for the same offence, You know for drifting across nearly into the other lane.

Back
Top Bottom