Land Rover driver fined after causing cyclist to fall off

Soldato
As much as I have banged on and defended cyclists in this thread, I’m really not sure what the big issue is there.

You could just as easily argue that the cyclist should get a ticket for the same offence, You know for drifting across nearly into the other lane.

Isnt that the point? Cyclists can be unpredictable due to winds, debris, or just unsteady especially so when travelling slowly which causes drifting etc. That is exactly why close passing is potentially dangerous. That doesn’t mean the copper was sensible riding two abreast as it wasn’t, so the whole thing may have been preventable, or perhaps the lorry driver would have close passed irrespective of what the copper did, who knows

Soldato
Isnt that the point? Cyclists can be unpredictable due to winds, debris, or just unsteady especially so when travelling slowly which causes drifting etc. That is exactly why close passing is potentially dangerous. That doesn’t mean the copper was sensible riding two abreast as it wasn’t, so the whole thing may have been preventable, or perhaps the lorry driver would have close passed irrespective of what the copper did, who knows
I hate being close passed when cycling in the city... so I don't cycle 3 inches from the edge of the lane.

I bet that copper is the kind of person who accelerates when someone pulls in front of them then starts yelling "YOU'RE ON DASHCAM... I'VE GOT YOU ON DASHCAM" :rolleyes:

Vine may think he's doing cyclists a favour with his constant berating of motorists but if anything it has the opposite effect.

Soldato

I understand the concept of a close pass, I nearly always side on the cyclist in these close pass videos that are posted on here, including the subject of the OP.

Clearly what is different here is that the lorry was fully in its own lane, it was not overtaking, it was purely following the road filtering through slow traffic. The cyclist was all over the place and drifted over into the path of the lorry in another lane. You can’t drift into another lane and then complain the next vehicle is too close to you.

I 100% agree that vehicle drivers should be taking great care around more vulnerable road users but that doesn’t give cyclists free reign to drift into other lanes and then complain about close passes in 15mph traffic.

A ticket for not taking due care and attention would never hold up in court for that. If anything it’s the cyclist who is riding without due care for other road users.

Soldato
Is the video by the The jeremy vine - have heard of him but don't know what he does ( same mold as frank bough ? )
and, he, himself, had a helmet camera, and then, went to the bother of adding the ill informed narrative - he should probably refer himself for a cycling proficiency test.

Soldato
0:52 (melancholy) so I just...note down the numberplate

****** gimpmaster :p

there's a sticker on the truck that says 'CCTV onboard', hope it comes to nothing for the driver or even better backfires on Vine/the officer

what are the comments like on Twitter?

Soldato
could even be that having their idol / Vine with them the other cyclists/police were distracted -
Can't get my head around people that would want to follow Vine (let alone Trump, Musk,boris, rashford) on twitter/social-media - choose life choose OC ?

Man of Honour
The cyclists by their actions are rendering the other lane unusable by most traffic - even if technically the lorry shouldn't have gone they are just as bad.

Essentially they are obstructing drivers who wish to pass (168), will be holding up a long queue of traffic (169) and using the road without reasonable consideration for other road users (144).

Ashley Neal had a recent video covering how there are plenty of cyclists don't apply the desire for a safe amount of space given by drivers to their own actions:

Last edited:
Soldato
what are the comments like on Twitter?
Seems to be 50/50.

I hope someone has reported the police officer for the same offence.

The road looked busy in both directions and if they were expecting the HGV to wait to move around the cyclists further, it could take forever in a built up area like London.

I did see a comment from a HGV driver saying these incidents will put off HGV drivers from going into central London, which will have the disastrous effect of having no goods being delivered to shops.

Soldato
My opinion of the lorry:
It was overtaking slowly, therefore any air displacement causing a burst of wind would be minimal
I'm sure none the less the size of the vehicle did cause them some discomfort
The cyclists could make more space their side if they were not happy with traffic in the next lane
The overtake was most likely pointless as they would all catch up at the next set of lights
There are much bigger problems with drivers attitudes towards cyclists then the Waitrose lorry.

Soldato
I did see a comment from a HGV driver saying these incidents will put off HGV drivers from going into central London, which will have the disastrous effect of having no goods being delivered to shops.
Presumably a non-HGV driver said this. I highly doubt any HGV driver wants to drive into any city.

Soldato
Presumably a non-HGV driver said this. I highly doubt any HGV driver wants to drive into any city.

I think he was an HGV driver although it was pretty much sounding off. Its not like someone would refuse given a route for the day. What difference does it make if someone is given a route for 6 drops in different towns/cities or 2 in London as its based on how many drops are achievable in a given time

Soldato
As someone who commutes on a bicycle and rides a motorcycle for pleasure, I would say that the cyclists are behaving irresponsibly.
It’s a great big HGV, use your brain and get out of the way!
I think it’s ridiculous riding 2 a breast on busy roads.
Feel sorry for the HGV driver who did his best to drive carefully. He has a job to do after all.

Back
Top Bottom