Land Sea Sky XII

Soldato
I intended to reignite this series whilst down in Cornwall over Christmas, but festivities and having the girlfirend in tow meant I barely got any photography in, so there's only one addition. I quite like it, though.

I've kept it deliberately dark. The detail is all there, but I guess hard to pick out at this size.

The composition was really tricky, I was shooting at 10mm stood right on the edge of the cliff and had to do 3 panned shots to fit it all in, then compress the view back down in PS afterwards. An anti-panorama, if you like :)

09ff0cf460fba4e78de6fd45a7a68d74-d379a0k.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
The sky is very dramatic and works well. I would probably try and boost the sunset slightly.
I know you've said you intentionally left it dark, but I feel more detail in the foreground would really complete this image. It's not quite dark enough to be dark, if you catch my drift!(?) I think I might have tried to centre the sun aswell. Looks like a stunning place! :)

Soldato
I think the image would be much better if it was less dark. Composition looks fine, but I can't see the detail in the shot, which spoils it for me. If it was to be a purely dark shot with moonlight, etc, that would be okay but as I can make out details that I can't quite see, I find myself squinting.

Although as you stood at the end of a cliff, you're clearly well 'ard so you can do what the hell you want :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Stunning as usual K4aD. :)

The square shot really works and the bright horizon really stands out.

Maybe a tad lighter in the mid ground but the darkness gives it atmosphere.

Where exactly is that shot BTW, looks very familiar, but then most of Cornwall looks familiar. :p

Soldato
OP
Although as you stood at the end of a cliff, you're clearly well 'ard so you can do what the hell you want :D

:D Just stupid... I made some Japanese girls scream :p

Stunning as usual K4aD. :)

The square shot really works and the bright horizon really stands out.

Maybe a tad lighter in the mid ground but the darkness gives it atmosphere.

Where exactly is that shot BTW, looks very familiar, but then most of Cornwall looks familiar. :p

Cheers dude, it's Lands End, right beneath the aweful hotel.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OK, I've succumbed to peer pressure and added slightly brightened it and uploaded a larger version so everyone can stop squinting :p

No! It's not right, dark is best! Going back to the original.

Dark, like a storm. Maybe some black. BLACK. BLAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!! ARGGHHHHHHH

Caporegime
Upload the other one too so we can compare. :p

I do thing though (even after suggesting a tad lighter) that it would ruin the contrast and punch of the image. Brightening up a shot like that invariably leads to a low contrast mess than a better photo.

Associate
The shot looks took dark and murky. There is some tremendous detail in there, I've had a play with Lightroom just on the JPEG you've posted and you can really bring out some detail and colours so heaven knows what you can do with the RAW file (I hope you did shoot in RAW).

I think it needs to be brightened. It is a cracking shot when a bit lighter :)

Last edited:
Associate
Land's End, yes thought I recognised it - I was going to ask if it was Boscastle just down from the Lighthouse there. I really love the atmosphere of the shot but do I think it needs to be a tad lighter just to pick up some more detail, great capture though.

Soldato
:D Just stupid... I made some Japanese girls scream :p

Cheers dude, it's Lands End, right beneath the aweful hotel.

When I was in Cornwall, 23 years ago (god I'm old!) I went into some horrid hotel and there was a tiny garden with kids play areas in it, with a small white fence. I'm sure that's the same place! The week before we got there, a kid fell down the cliff, under the fence and died.

Back
Top Bottom