Landline phone network intergration

Associate
I would like to have my landline phone connection working through my WiFi and hardwired Ethernet connection.

What products, if any are available for this. I do not want to get rid of my landline just integrate into my home network so i could have a handset in another location where my network is available.

Associate
OP
Doesn't a standard set of DECT phones meet this requirement?

No, the location i want another phone on the landline is too far away.

The Invoxia voice bridge might be something you're interested in:

http://www.invoxia.com/en-gb/voice-bridge/

Interesting idea, but not really what i am after. Need a fixed phone in a set location so multiple people could answer it.

sounds like you want an ip based phone but that would also need the infrastructure and no phone if the wifi fails!

Yes it would need to be an IP phone over the network. Not worried if the wifi went down.

I have to ask why you're doing this?

I need a phone in a location quite a distance from the house, which has my home network available.

Who is your landline supplier wilber?

PlusNet.

I'm not looking to subscribe to a IP phone service. I was hoping there was some sort of simple device i could plug into my landline and network that would route calls in and out to IP phones on the network. Not looking for a managed solution where internal calls could be placed to individual phones just a simple system that behaved like a normal DECT phone setup but over the network.

APM

APM

Associate
Could you just put a splitter after your junction box and run a cable to where you want the 2nd phone to reside?

Soldato
You are edgng into the realm of actual PBX systems here because everything other than that I know about allows you to connect an analogue device to an IP line, but I do not know of any simple device that allows an IP phone to connect to an analogue line.

Associate
I think you can do this with an Asterisk server and VOIP phones but it is far from easy or a plug and play solution:

http://www.asterisk.org/

My thoughts exactly, I'm actually running Elastix on an old HP N36l, I've got FXO & FXS cards in it as my experience with the Linksys SPA3102 wasn't great although that may be down to the way I configured it, with better settings perhaps it could work alongside a Raspberry Pi running Asterisk.

Edit; depending on the actual need for it to be IP based, could staying with DECT and using repeaters be an option, I also run Gigaset DECT phones, they're connected to the network as opposed to the phone line but it's the same principal, but with a repeater I can get a good signal around 100m away.

Last edited:
Soldato
For a simple, cheap, low tech solution you could just use CAT5 voice/data splitters (sometimes called economisers) at each end of your existing long cable run.

The con with this is that your split connection will only run at 100Mb. The pro is that the phone isn't reliant on any infrastructure and so would still work in a network or power outage.

Associate
OP
Could you just put a splitter after your junction box and run a cable to where you want the 2nd phone to reside?

Too far.

If it isn't too far you could look at DECT repeaters. Panasonic claim 50m indoors, 300m outdoors for theirs.

Worth looking into, I was just hopeing to take advantage of the infrastructure already in place. Its over 100 metres from the main house to an out building i wish to have the phone. I already have a dedicated wifi bridge for the network.

I think you can do this with an Asterisk server and VOIP phones but it is far from easy or a plug and play solution:

http://www.asterisk.org/

Cheers i'll have a look.

How much distance are we talking about?

Too far for your regular wireless phones to cover?

Just over 100 metres building to building

You are edgng into the realm of actual PBX systems here because everything other than that I know about allows you to connect an analogue device to an IP line, but I do not know of any simple device that allows an IP phone to connect to an analogue line.

Shame there is no simple device.

Edit however you could look up FXO gateways.

I'll do some more digging

My thoughts exactly, I'm actually running Elastix on an old HP N36l, I've got FXO & FXS cards in it as my experience with the Linksys SPA3102 wasn't great although that may be down to the way I configured it, with better settings perhaps it could work alongside a Raspberry Pi running Asterisk.

Edit; depending on the actual need for it to be IP based, could staying with DECT and using repeaters be an option, I also run Gigaset DECT phones, they're connected to the network as opposed to the phone line but it's the same principal, but with a repeater I can get a good signal around 100m away.

For a simple, cheap, low tech solution you could just use CAT5 voice/data splitters (sometimes called economisers) at each end of your existing long cable run.

The con with this is that your split connection will only run at 100Mb. The pro is that the phone isn't reliant on any infrastructure and so would still work in a network or power outage.

Dont want to restrict my network speed if i can help it.

APM

APM

Associate
If the far building has power then maybe running a cable from there back to the main house as far as decorum will allow then hooking it up wirelessly from there?

Back
Top Bottom