Laptop disconnects from internet when lid is closed

Soldato
So due to some technical difficulties with a dying desktop system, I'm currently using my sister's laptop hooked up to my monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse. It's been working fine for the last week, but as of today it's decided to disconnect from the internet when the laptop lid is closed.

I've set closing the laptop lid to "do nothing" in the control panel settings. I've also prevented the computer from disabling the connection to conserve power in my network connection > properties > configure options, but since I did that the configure button is greyed out (any idea why would also be helpful - something to do with admin level access? How do I change that?). Laptop model is Acer Aspire 5553.

I'd be fine closing the lid most of the way and ignoring it, but while the lid is open it'll only display in 1366x768 on my monitor. When I close the lid completely, it switches to my native 1920x1080. Any tips on how to set up my monitor to always display the higher resolution whether the lid is open or closed would also be great.

So, summary of issues/solutions wanted:

1) Stop the damn thing disconnecting from the internet when I close the lid
2) Make it so my monitor always displays in 1920x1080 regardless of whether the lid is open or closed
3) Un-grey the Configure button in network properties

Thanks for any help!

Associate
I'd be fine closing the lid most of the way and ignoring it, but while the lid is open it'll only display in 1366x768 on my monitor. When I close the lid completely, it switches to my native 1920x1080. Any tips on how to set up my monitor to always display the higher resolution whether the lid is open or closed would also be great.

Not sure about the others, but for the monitor have you set it up as an extended desktop or clone?

If clone then the monitor will always be at the resolution of the laptop screen. If extended then you can set it to what you want.

(Right Click screen -> Screen Resolution -> Multiple Displays -> Extend these displays. Then select the monitor in the drop down at the top and pick your resolution you want and apply)

You can also make the monitor your main screen; check box at the bottom after selecting the monitor.

This is on my windows 7 laptop. Might be same for 8. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom