Laptop finally kicked the bucket :(

Associate
Hi guys n' girls,

Well I pop here now and then for a read but never really have the need to post until now, so any advice on my predicament is greatly appreciated.
My old faithful Rock Xtreme Ti (I didn't buy it, it was my company laptop) has finally died, well more specifically the Geforce 7900GTX has died, I have had a look around, notorious auction sites included, and I'm looking at £200-£300 for a replacement! Seems like a waste of money on a machine that is now 4-5 years old. I'm thinking of stripping it out and selling it all as spares to raise some cash towards a new desktop instead.
Am I going down the right road here or should I repair it?

If a new machine is the way forward, will I be able to get anything fairly decent that will last me for a few years with some upgrading possible in the future for a budget of around £300?

I guess this is a long winded "spec me" but I have sat and read some of the previous "spec me" posts and I'm getting more and more confused lol. I'm quite capable of building one but all the differing combinations etc is becoming information overload.

I mainly play WoW with addons (stop laughing!! yes you at the back) at full resolution and run the Adobe Creative Suite 3, plus your other usual suspects, Office etc.

Things I don't need are:
monitor (already have Dell 20" panel with DVI), mouse, keyboard and I have Windows 7RC and copy on pre-order.

I have got various DVD RW/Lightscribe drives available but these are IDE connectors.

Phew, any suggestions welcomed with open arms and sorry for the long winded post :o

Associate
OP
pic2.jpg

Not sure if I am on the right track, can I do better for similar money or less?

Back
Top Bottom