Laptop monitor blank, HDD light not flashing - BROKEN?

Associate
Hi all,

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite on Vista.

I ran an AVG virus test the other day and all came back clear but then my laptop screen went blank and wouldn't do anything. I turned it off and back on again with and without the mains power but the screen simply will not come on and it appears the HDD light is no longer flashing.. although the laptop is making it's normal noise when it attempts to startup.

I know I'm female but can usually figure PC software stuff out but I've never come across this before and I'm rubbish with hardware, I've looked on Google and it asked me to check that the HDD and RAM haven't come loose, I've unscrewed a millions screws and checked these but they seem OK. I removed the HDD and slotted it back in but still no joy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Em :)

Associate
OP
No you'll need a monitor to test. Can you see your VGA port?

I can't see it at the moment because I'm at work. I don't have a stand alone monitor at home so I'll either bring the laptop to work with me and use my monitor here or can I use my TV as a screen as that has a VGA port in it?

Associate
I can't see it at the moment because I'm at work. I don't have a stand alone monitor at home so I'll either bring the laptop to work with me and use my monitor here or can I use my TV as a screen as that has a VGA port in it?

As long as it has VGA in you can just plug in your laptop via a VGA lead or VGA to HDMI converter and select PC as source on the TV, then boot and select windows key+p and see where that takes you.

Regards.

C.

Associate
OP
Sounds like motherboard/graphics card if you're not getting a picture. Try plugging it in to an external screen and rule out the screen itself.

I've plugged it into an external monitor, just says 'no signal' so I guess it is the motherboard/graphics then.. Is that it then? It's broken and there's no way to fix it? Thanks again

Associate
there may be a shortcut button on your keyboard to swap to an external monitor, for example fn+f4, the actual f button you need will have a picture of a screen on it, worth as shot

Back
Top Bottom